First time flying Got Questions on several things

gbphatcat

I will be flying for the first time to get to my cruise going out of Jacksonville. I would love to be able to drive but work time restraints will not allow it this time. I am flying in the day before my cruise so that is not an issue

I am flying on US Air the flight out of my local airport is on a smalller regional jet this flight goes to charlotte and them i connect on a larger plane to jacksonville from there, also on the way back home i will board a smaller jet from charlotte back home

i understand with these smaller planes carry on size is an issue, so i am assuming i will have to gate check my carry on on these two legs of the flight Will i still be able to bring a backpack size bag that i can carry onto the plane with me for my camera and a few other things. ?

also on my flight coming back from jacksonville to charlotte to catch my connecting back home i have a 1 hour 5 minute space of time is this enough to catch my connecting flight ?

one more? since i am going on a back to back cruise i am undoubtedly going to have to have a checked bag since i am connecting in charlotte am i going to have to pick up my checked bag at baggage claim or will the move it forward to the next flight and i only have to bring my carry on with me

thanks in advance for any help and if you have any other tips please feel free to share them with me :)

You may bring your backpack (assuming it's like a day pack/book bag size and not a giant thing like a backpacker would use on a camping trip) on board and store it under the seat in front of you. There are three scenarios to your carry on, it depends on what type of plane you are flying on. You might need to check it through, you might be able to carry it in, you might leave it on the jetway or Tarmac next the the plane as you board and pick it up on the jetway or Tarmac when you land. Ask the gate agent to specifically tell you how it will be handled when you get to your gate.

Your luggage will be checked through to your final destination, no need to reclaim.

65 minutes is enough time in CLT even if you have to change terminals.

an hour should be fine in charlotte. however, that airport can get pretty cramped in the afternoons with all the flights out of there, I had no issues changing planes but departing was delayed AWHILE due to 5 large planes boarding right next to each other. gate check will probably have to happen but like the prior post said, if it is a standard size backpack it shouldn't be an issue. be aware, they may gate check your carry on to the final destination.

Charlotte is a pretty easy airport to navigate, so assuming your flights are on time you should be fine as far a making your connections.

Your checked bag...once you check it you wont see it until your final destination. When you check in they will tag it to your final destination and you will get a little ticket with a bar code so it can be tracked. (in theory ;) )

On your carry on....keep in mind that you are allowed one carry on and one "personal item". In theory the personal item is a small camera bag, laptop case, pocketbook etc etc etc. Your carry on is "supposed" to be no bigger than 22x14x9 inches (MANY people ignore these and you will see many folks trying to bring everything but the kitchen sink onboard with them.) You may have to gate check they carry on on the smaller plane. They put a tag on it and you just leave it by the door of the plane and then you wait for it when you land. Keep in mind it may take some time to get it once you land. You will be doing the waiting game and depending on how fast they are you could be there for 15-20 min waiting and it your flight is even a little late you might have and issue with you connection. And depending on what boarding group you have you might end up having to check your carry on for the Charlotte-Jax flight anyway. If you have a one of the last groups all the bin space could be full.

If you are checking a bag anyway I would just put everything in that and just take your small backpack the plane with you. (put essentials in you pack with you. any medicine, camera, phone, stuff like that) That way you don't have to play the waiting game for your gate checked bag or worry about finding overhead bin space with a late boarding group.

Edited by TruckerDave