Wardrobe for 5YO boy - on the right track?

Gwyndylan

Hi Cruisers!

We are sailing 10/3/15 for a 7 night Western Caribbean on the Fantasy. We are so excited, it's our first cruise & our first family vacation.

I've assembled part of a wardrobe for my son, who will be 5 & a half (that half is VERY important you know). I don't have formal night ironed out yet & pirate night is in the works. I will also include PJs, swimwear, unders, cool weather clothes & a few tees & track shorts.

Was seeking opinions on what I have put together, I know that practically anything goes, but we want to 'dress' him for dinner, at least a little, while still letting him be comfortable & washable :)

ImageUploadedByForums1433173931.597563.jpg.20f9484c17c10e566a4d8736647f5743.jpg

What do you say? Am I on the right track?

Thanks!

Gwyndylan

ImageUploadedByForums1433173911.685243.jpg.004e6b5eae41b8a8b7b6cce12c4ce0d9.jpg

While DCL policy changed some time ago to allow shorts at dinner, my personal opinion is that it is tacky. We do dresses or long pants. We also change clothes before dinner--out of the "all day, running around and getting sweaty" clothes--clean up a little and make it like dinner is special. That said, the same outfit may go to dinner 2 -3 nights if they stay clean.

Yes, you are on the right track--everything you have pictured is within DCL "requests." Formal night is not really formal--some young men will be in tux or suits, but these are kids who had them from a wedding or whatever. Put him in the best outfit he has and you'll be fine.

Thank you moki'smommy!

Yes, I should have mentioned, this is our 'a little bit better wear' for after the day of play is over, for that we have tees & track shorts. This is what we will shower & change into for dinner.

While I would not allow my husband to go to seated dinner in shorts, somehow on a 5 year old boy it doesn't feel as tacky to me.

He's a quiet little boy, so he will earn points for behavior, maybe not for fancy dress ;) He is a notorious spiller, so I'll not be counting on the same shirt twice for dinner. Haha

we dress up, somewhat, for dinner-I wear a skirt or dressy capris and DH never wears shorts, but I find no issues with a little boy wearing nice shorts to dinner. When younger, my son usually wore a collared shirt and bermuda shorts to dinner with sandals or clean tennis shoes. He wore khaki pants on formal night. On another cruiseline, official policy was 12 and under could wear nice shorts to dinner. He was stopped by the maitre de and let in b/c he was 12--again, nice bermudas.

Edited by elaine5

Those outfits look perfect. That is exactly what my boys (ages 7 and 3) wore to dinner on our cruise in March. They are very casual boys, so that was considered dressed up for them and I thought they looked so cute! On the "cruise casual" nights I didn't have them wear a "button shirt" as they call it (polo/golf shirt).

They didn't end up dressing up for the formal night because we had a unique situation. We were on the cruise to celebration my parents 40th anniversary and we did a vow renewal. I bought them the cutest suit outfits from JCPenney (at a great cost too) for the vow renewal - it was pants, shirt, vest and bow tie...all for $40. The formal night was BEFORE the vow renewal so I didn't want to take a chance of food spillage ruining their outfits. And I didn't want to buy 2 suits since they will never be worn again:) So, our boys were casual for the formal night and it was fine (the adults still dressed up). If you want to go all out for the formal night, check out the kids suits. They really are cute!

Have fun!

I found a pants/vest/shirt/tie set at Walmart this year for only $20! It was around Easter. I didn't inspect it that closely, so I can't speak for the quality of the outfit, but as long as it lasts a few wears that's all that matters to me. I'm planning on buying one next year for our Fantasy cruise in May.

My young boys wear dress shorts and Polo shirts for cruise casual nights. There is nothing tacky about a young child in dress shirts and a nice shirt. Many adults dress much worse. Considering that for years young boys only wrote short pants until they were over the age of 12, I see nothing wrong with it. I wouldn't put them in gym shorts and tee shirts but what you posted looks fine.

You nailed it. He's 5 so anything better than pajamas or sports shorts and a t-shirt is good.

In a couple of years he'll have to learn about dressing appropriately for the situation but that's then.

So are nice flip flops for young boys okay at dinner? I bought some dark brown leather ones for them both (ages 8 & 5) today thinking they could use them for casual dinner nights with their nice shorts.

He will be absolutely fine in those outfits and better dressed than some adults I have seen in there.

We "dress" for dinner and wouldn't go in what we had been wearing all day, but since they changed the policy almost anything seems to go so we just asked for a table on our own as I don't want to eat next to someone in their sweaty beachwear, it's not appropriate to me but each to their own;)