Gardyloo and Mapleaves

As Seattle residents you have both in the past provided excellent info for "us tourists"

I wonder if I could impose on your knowledge once more.

Will be in Seattle end of July pre-cruise

Besides doing PPM and Seattle Center, we want to do a "water" ride.

We have narrowed our choice to two

One is the Bremerton Ferry crossing, because of the views

The other is the West Seattle Water taxi

Each of us has a favorite

I wonder if you wouldn't mind adding your two cents to assist in our decision

thanks in advance for your replies

Do both, obviously. ;)

They're quite different - scenery vs. destination - but if I could only choose 1 I'd go with Bremerton. The views are nice and the experience is fun and educational.

If your time is flexible, I'd travel to Bremerton, have a meal at Anthony's next to the ferry terminal (quality local seafood chain) and try to take a boat back that arrives just around sunset or a bit after. Coming into the city at that time is magical, and behind you the sun setting behind the Olympic mountains is equally fab.

20091226_71c2.JPG

Either/ Or. You can't go wrong! Guess I'd agree with gardyloo... the ferry.

If you don't have a busy day scheduled, you'll have the extra time required for the ferry. And, if you DO have a busy day, a relaxing few hours on the ferry is a nice way to end it, munching on fish and chips, feeding the seagulls and enjoying the views. If you have a rainy day, the ferry is also a better option.... you're sheltered but can still enjoy the scenery.

I guess the water taxi would be the best choice if you have great weather and want to walk around the beach, shops, restaurants for 2-3 hrs.

The end of July? That's the start of SeaFair celebrations so it could be quite busy on the waterfront (seattle and west seattle). Fleet Week so ships and sailors on the piers. And SeaFair Pirates at WSeattle.

p.s. if you want a sunset view, remember that we have long days, so look at a sunrise/sunset calendar.

…The end of July? That's the start of SeaFair celebrations so it could be quite busy on the waterfront (seattle and west seattle). Fleet Week so ships and sailors on the piers. And SeaFair Pirates at WSeattle.

p.s. if you want a sunset view, remember that we have long days, so look at a sunrise/sunset calendar.

We'll be in Seattle for a few days before our cruise the last weekend in July. Looks like it's going to be crowded.:eek:

And also possibly why the hotels are so expensive.

Edited by WyKnott

I'm a Seattle native. Our weather statisticians say that the best chance for summer sunshine and warm temps is the third weekend in July; therefore, at the end of July there are locals and tourists in abundance enjoying the outdoors and local sights.

This year we have much more tourist interest in our area because of the U.S. Open. We "locals" have noticed an "uptick" in traffic and tourist activity since early last month.