Pearl to Alaska cruise of a lifetime review! 5/31 - 6/7

So today is the day all us cruisers dread, disembarkation day. We woke up around 7 or 730. We had our breakfast in the courtyard one last time and said our good byes to Oliver, our wonderful haven attendant. I know I said it before, and I'll say it again, if you have him on your cruise please, please, PLEASE tip him! Tip him, and tip him well! He works very hard to keep everything nice and to serve our food out in the courtyard. He was always very friendly, and really helped make the experience great for us.

We did a final search of our room, amid headed down to meet Elvina at the Stardust for our VIP disembarkation. Very quick and simple. There were people everywhere directing us where to go. Our luggage was very easy to find, and before we knew it, we were waiting outside for my sister to come pick up my Dad for him to spend the next week with her before heading home to North Carolina. I also learned it is very, very easy to find transportation to the airport there. There was always somebody asking if we needed a ride. We ended up getting a town car, and if I remember right, it ended up costing us $40, and the ride was about half hour to 40 minutes. Our flight was at 230, and we got to the airport a little after 11. Sea Tac can be very hectic, so I recommend giving yourself plenty of time to get through there.

Overall thoughts the ship.

I really enjoyed her that thought she was a beautiful ship. I have to say though, the buffet on the Dawn seemed better for some reason,a little less hectic. We actually learned to avoid deck 12 if we wanted to go to the Spinnaker at the forward part of the ship just to avoid going through there. She appeared to,be in good shape and well maintained. I have to, say though, we wreren't really looking that hard for blemishes and what not lol.one thing I did not like, was the women's bathrooms up by the stardust. Only two stalls, and the bathroom itself is TINY. If there is more than two people waiting, the next person can barely get into the door. Really not laid out very well, and besides, everybody should know that women's bathroom need more stalls lol :D. I also didn't care how congested it always seemed to be in the atrium, IMO, they need to try to find a way to not have so much going on in there at one time. We absolutely loved the Haven, and with all the crowds there were on bad weather days, it was awesome to have a place to go to get away from it all. Our room was beautiful, and was perfect for our needs. I Know I've mentioned it a lot, but I really enjoyed the Spinnaker, and was one of my favorite places to be. I really like the great outdoors, and I really wish the weather would've been better so we could've enjoyed it more. I gues it's a good thing I have us booked on a cruise on the Gem out of Puerto Rico in November of 2016, I'll have another opportunity to try it out lol. Just a heads up for people cruising in the Haven, the only elevator that will get you to the 14th deck is the midship elevators. It was took us awhile to learn and get use to this lol.

The crew

The crew was absolutely great! Always very friendly and helpful. We loved our butler and room steward, both of them always made an effort to say hello and ask how things were. All the waitstaff was very friendly and efficient. Definitely leagues above what we usually receive in the states.

The food

The food was always hot and good. There was one dish I didn't really care for, but that was just my personal taste I think. There was only a couple times I can recall getting slow service, and that was in Moderno's one day, other than that it was always fairly quick and prompt.

Fellow passengers

I have to say,we encountered a lot of very rude, inconsiderate people. No such thing as " excuse me please", more like just shove and elbow their way wherever they wanted to be. I am one of those people however, you push or shove me, I will not budge. Not even an inch. I will stand my ground and you will not get through. A simple excuse me, and I will accommodate you as best as I can. It was just ridiculous. Also, there seemed to be a lot of kids on this cruise. I was a little worried because I tried to book his cruise when I thought kids would still be in school. However, most the kids were better behaved than most of the adults. There was only one child I seen running in and out of people at the elevators and only once did I see where " parents" we're letting their children play where people were trying to walk through. Other than that, most were very well behaved, and we had no issues, so my worries were unfounded. Also as I've mentioned before, the crowds seem to be worse on this cruise than our previous one. I'm thinking it was mostly due to the poor weather and everybody being confined inside. I have to say it did dampen my enjoyment having to battle crowds wherever we went, especially the atrium.

All in all, a bad day cruising is better than being at work. There was just something about this cruise that seemed a little disappointing to me, falling short some how. I can't really even put my finger on it. Maybe it's just because for the most part, I don't think any cruise can compare to the excitement, wonder and newness of a person's first cruise. Or maybe because Alaska is very similar scenery wise to what we have here at home, just bigger and more wild. It may also be because I felt like I fell short in my planning , and because I forgot to pack things, or just kept losing them lol. Honestly, at the end of the week, I just wanted to go back in time for a do over lol. However, Dad and I still enjoyed our time together. Since he lives on the other side of the country, we only get to see each other once every couple of years, so every second we have together is precious to us, and try to make the most of those seconds. Dad really enjoyed himself, so in that aspect, this trip was a success.

I hope everybody enjoyed this. I'm sorry I wasn't able to give a better review due to my lack of notes, and being unable to post pics. I hope I was still able to provide some information, or atleast provide an entertaining read. If I can get my lap top up and functioning again, I will try to post some pictures at a later date. Thank you to everybody that took the time to comment, and also thank you to those to,took the time to just read :D

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! I'm glad you enjoyed it, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask! Like I said, I'm sure there's a few things I forgot to mention lol. I hope you enjoy your cruise! Happy sailings!

Loved reading your review! We are leaving on her July 26th and have the 2 bedroom suite also! Taking my dad for his 85th birthday. Worried about everyone talking about the virus and I don't want him to get sick.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I don't blame you for being worried. We were seriously obsessive with washing our hands, and using the sanitizing stations they have every where. I don't think we ever passed an opportunity to " washy washy" lol. It might not hurt to wipe down your room too just as an extra precaution. You are going to LOVE this room! If you have a Haven suite, in my opinion, it was lovely having breakfast in the courtyard every morning. Very peaceful and relaxing. I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Thanks! Question for you...My dad can not walk far so the mile hike to Medenhaull Glacier is a no go for him. Would I be able to use his wheelchair on this trail?

We were just there at the end of May, there was a man on the trail in a motorized wheelchair and seemed to be having no problem. Hope you all have fun!

I would think a wheelchair would do fine. There are a few slight inclines, but nothing severe. The trail is fairly smooth, and my Dad at 75 had no trouble walking it. Darn it I wish My laptop was up and working, I took some pictures of the trail that showed what it was like, but I can't post pictures with just my iPad :(.