ATM risk

Buckeye fans

We are sailing on the Med Liberty and my husband says we should not use ATM machines other than our own bank because of risk of theft of password. Everyone on the boards and travel writers recommend ATMs as the best way to deal with foreign currency. What do you think?:confused:

ATM's are by far the best way to get cash while overseas. The risk of having your PIN stolen is extremely minimal. It's no more at other banks' ATM's than it is at your own banks' ATM's. Do make sure that you have a 4-digit PIN, though. 5-digit PIN's sometimes won't work in overseas ATM's.

Better yet, only get a little cash and use your credit card whenever possible while overseas. That's the cheapest exchange rate available.

When using an ATM, be aware of your surroundings and check out the ATM carefully. Some scammers will attach an additional card scanner on top of the bank's to record your card info. So look at the slot carefully. They will also mount a small camera nearby to record your PIN entry. This is often mounted in or under a brochure rack. Look for plastic bins attached to or near the ATM that might hold brochures. If all looks good, chances are you're safe.

There is no safe guarantee in using your credit card overseas either. My husband and I went to the Dominican Republic a few years ago and made some purchases in a resort gift shop with our credit card. When we got home much to our surprise someone had charged over $3K from the DR on the internet using our CC#, GM card called us to ask if we had made that many purchases in ONE DAY!! Master Card took care of the charges, but it can happen to anyone...so buyer beware!! ;)

Credit card companies have began adding 1 to 2% charge for international use. Although I sometimes use CC in other countries I mostly use traveler's checks. Free if a member of the AAA or CAA. When using ATMs in other countries you will receive the local currency so get only what you really need.

Carry small denominations of US dollars since in many areas the vendor will only have limited US dollars for change. I'm leaving next month for two weeks in the Mexican interior and ordered (US$500) pesos from AAA and the largest denomination I ordered was 500 pesos, about the same as a fifty dollar bill. Most were much smaller.

Archived