Flight seeing in Ketchikan.

sh2738

Everywhere I have seen that for an excursion in Ketchikan a lot of people do flight seeing or a seaplane. But all the ones hat I have are really expensive, over $200. Has anyone done one that they recommend that is less than that?

Or any other suggestions for Ketchikan ?

Thanks.

Flight seeing is expensive, but when entrusting your life in a stranger's hands, do you really want bargain rates? or a bargain plane?

Most Alaska excursions are expensive. The tourist season is short and the demand is high.

You can have a fun Alaska cruise w/o expensive excursions. But the activities that are in demand will always demand a higher price. It's the marketplace.

Plan and enjoy those that you can afford. Many people do a self-guided tour of Ketchikan and the totem pole exhibits.

In Ketchikan, some vendors, do have shorter float plane flying, but they will NOT be to Misty Fiords. If you just want a flying experience this could be a good option. There also may be a cargo/mail run option.

If you open up to all ports, you may something in your price range.

If you are looking for only a single seat, you may also have success, with discounted walk up flights. BUT, you would need to be off your ship, right when it clears, and head to the visitor center and ask each vendor there. Then be prepared and accepting of not finding anything.

Edited by Budget Queen

We went to Alaska last month. Out float plane tour to Misty Fjords was pricey, but worth every dollar! We're not wealthy, we are cautious spenders, but some things bring so much joy that there is a time to indulge.

I believe the float plane tour was remarkable. If you look up reviews for Carlin Air Tours on Trip Advisor, mine is the most recent.

We went to Alaska last month. Out float plane tour to Misty Fjords was pricey, but worth every dollar! We're not wealthy, we are cautious spenders, but some things bring so much joy that there is a time to indulge.

I believe the float plane tour was remarkable. If you look up reviews for Carlin Air Tours on Trip Advisor, mine is the most recent.

Sorry to lead off track here, but I'm so glad you enjoyed your Carlin Air tour! I have one booked with them for our cruise next month!

Just out of curiosity, did you book the shorter flight that was slightly less expensive? The option I booked was supposed to include an actual walk-around stop at the lake rather than just stepping onto the floats.

Also any advice on what you could or couldn't take with you on the plane? I know space is extremely limited. If we have a small daypack with our jackets or whatnot, would that be allowed?

Thanks in advance!

We are booked with Island Wings next month. We can only carry on phone, camera, and wallet (small fanny pack). We will have back packs with us that we will leave in a locked and secure office until we return. We are very excited and yes it is costly. But it is a once in a life time opportunity.

Sorry to lead off track here, but I'm so glad you enjoyed your Carlin Air tour! I have one booked with them for our cruise next month!

Just out of curiosity, did you book the shorter flight that was slightly less expensive? The option I booked was supposed to include an actual walk-around stop at the lake rather than just stepping onto the floats.

Also any advice on what you could or couldn't take with you on the plane? I know space is extremely limited. If we have a small daypack with our jackets or whatnot, would that be allowed?

Thanks in advance!

Hi! We did do the slightly shorter one, our pilot landed on a lake and we got to step out on the floats for a few minutes. We were lucky enough to see a Mama bear and her three cubs...so cool! We did lock our belongings up in the office, purses, backpacks and such. We took cameras, binoculars and phones. As for jackets, if we were wearing one, it was OK. We didn't really need them, though. The sun was out, we had temps in the high 50s, low 60s.

Edited by MpwdMom

any larger bags- like small back packs, usually need to be left behind. Jeff is a long time, well established vendor, I've also flown with him many years ago. :) (had a relationship with another vendor, both business/personal, was how I met him)

Leave the bags and bulky items on the ship. Dress in a couple layers. I've had all kinds of temps between the flying and landing.

In my opinion, with the "small" savings- especially if more distance is involved, is not worth taking, for my priorities. I'm actually the wrong person, to, probably even comment, as I book what I want- with no concern about any costs.

Thanks all on the info re: our stuff! I will only take minimal stuff, but will definitely have a small cross-body purse with camera, phone, etc. I assume that will be allowed on? Depending on weather we may have a small backpack with extra layers/waterproof jacket for our time after the flight (we hope to explore Creek Street immediately after before we return to the ship) - I'm totally okay with leaving that in their office. Just wanted to make sure there WAS an office to leave it in! :)