Wedding Help

Banana15

I am having my wedding on the Norwegian Sky in September. We are having a harborside wedding in Miami.

I was told our wedding would be around 12:30, so we have a cocktail hour from 1:30-3:00. I was told the Muster drill would be around 4 and the ship leaves around 5. We have dinner reservations for 6:30.

Has anyone had a harborside wedding that can offer me advice as to whether or not I should change out of my dress prior to the muster drill? I don't want to look ridiculous wearing it there, or for a few hours in between, but I wanted to have us still dressed for dinner so we could take photos. Is that stupid?

Also, I'm a little confused as to the initial boarding. I was told we could board separate, but the coordinator would come and talk to us together. Is there a way to NOT see each other beforehand???

Thanks!!

Did you post this in wedding/honeymoon forum as well? A lot of helpful info on there. We are getting married harborside NYC on Norwegian Breakaway in April..we are also having a dinner with the sailing guests that evening in the main dining room I plan on wearing my dress the whole time..plus I also read that they do have a make up muster as well if you don't feel comfortable being in your dress :) Hope that helps..Congrats!!!

No, I didn't. I wasn't sure if I should since Norwegian may have a different plan/setup than other cruise lines. I suppose it's worth a shot though.

If we can do a make-up muster, that would be PERFECT. I know everyone is gonna be miserable in their dress clothes, so if we can avoid having to be surrounded by 500 people in 95 degree heat, that would be great.

But I'm glad you are wearing your dress the whole time, so I know it's not abnormal.

As someone who got married almost two years ago now: wear the dress, unless you just don't feel comfortable doing so! It's one fantastic day in your life. Wear it and enjoy celebrating. Fellow cruisers will probably celebrate with you. :)

Congrats!

Haha. That is true. It is definitely a one time thing, and we pay enough for the dress that we SHOULD get more than an hour out of it.

Honestly, I won't be uncomfortable. I think I'm more concerned with everyone else. I don't want to force the others to walk around all dressed up just because I am. But in fairness, the guys are wearing khakis and a vest and the girls are wearing short dresses, so it's not like they'd be in penguin suits. I'd really be the one suffering :D

On the Sky, most people muster outside and even in Sept. it is very hot and humid. You will melt if you are wearing a traditional wedding dress. I have heard that there is a muster station in Dazzles lounge for those with disabilities and such that cannot muster outside. Perhaps you could get in there, or as you mentioned, skipping it and doing the makeup. I would let someone know if you plan that because otherwise everyone else at your muster station will have to wait for you until the crew decides you aren't coming.

I would definitely warn someone that I was not going to the main muster. I suppose I can call NCL and see if they have a suggestion. -- I didn't even know they had make-up musters...it's certainly something to inquire about. Thanks!

While our situation was a bit different...2 grooms. It was a great wedding and everything worked very well. NCL, the wedding vendor, and the NCL group department really work hard to ensure that everything goes well.

In regards to your questions:

We had the wedding and reception (90+ guests with 25 sailing), said good-bye to our guests who were not sailing, and then quickly changed (again 2 grooms are much easier) for the muster drill and afternoon. We asked our sailing guests to put their wedding clothes back on for dinner that night. We then took some additional pictures around the ship.

Boarding:

We boarded together. When we arrived at the pier, our guests were already gathered in a separate area with the NCL group coordinators. We said a quick hello and then ran off to the wedding (Manhattan Room on the Breakaway) and reception (the Bliss lounge) locations to take care of a few last minute details, direct our friends on set-up etc. We then went to our cabin to get dressed. Your NCL contacts have done this all before...they can answer your questions and put your mind at ease.

We would be happy to answer any questions, provide ideas, or helpful tips. Some other things we did: gift beach bags in each stateroom, VIP badges to make our guests feel special, souvenir cookies that looked like the Breakaway, signature drink for the reception (designed to help speed up the service for our guests...they could order anything, but this was very helpful)...also check out Lipz review in the Honeymoon/wedding section. They also got married on NCL.

You can reach us at reryan24 gmail.com

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Robert and Ralph

Awww...thanks so much for the detailed response.

I'm not really too worried about it. I'm trying NOT to become Bridezilla. Haha. My sister suggested asking people to get BACK into their clothes for dinner, but I thought it would be annoying. She said "It's your day....people just have to deal with it." We are also paying for all the guests to sail with us, so she basically feels like anyone who is crazy enough to complain....well, they just won't. Like I said earlier, the men aren't in tux's and the girls aren't in anything heavy, so I don't think it's going to be a nightmare to re-dress. But like you said, I'd like to take photos afterward and we are having the cake at dinner, so I'd like for THOSE photos to be with us dressed.

As for the favors, you are SO good at this. I was dreading how to hand out favors, but I think leaving them in the rooms would be perfect. Did you have the coordinator do that or one of the Norwegian staff?

For our favors, I had cups made with everyone's name and name of the ship with the date. I had some bags made that I THOUGHT would be beach bag size, but they are too small, so I'm not sure what to do with those. Then I had some chap sticks made with the ship name and our names. I'm not real artistically minded, so I don't know what ELSE to do and those three things have no way of going together. We have a few kids sailing as well, so I tried to think of stuff for them, but I'm still working on that.

So, as for the boarding...is there a way to NOT see each other? I hate to sound like an old fashioned old lady, but I would like to avoid seeing him, if possible. (Wow, that sounded terrible. lol) As far as having to make last minute changes, he is the guy that has NO idea what's happening. He just said to tell him what to where and he'll be there. I know, so romantic. Haha! But it saves me from having to have him SEE any venues.

Also, the coordinator told me we would get a few rooms prior to the wedding. How many did you receive?

Thanks again for the help....sorry to talk so much :D

The group department took our gift bags and delivered them to each cabin. We found beach bags at Target that had a clear pocket on one side. We put a welcome with their names, an itinerary of any things planned during the week (dinner, shows, etc), a list of the other guests and their cabin numbers. IN the bags we included a "Oh $%#% Kit" that had bandaids, lip balm, hand sanitizer, Tylenol, gum/mints (with our wedding date on them)...), we had t-shirts made up that everyone wore the day we were at the NCL island (group picture).

I am sure the crew can help you and your groom board the ship without seeing each other. You can't be the first person to make that request!

We arranged to have three rooms ready when we boarded. One for us, one for the Best Man and Best Diva and one for the priest who was marrying us.

We requested approval early to bring food on the ship. Normally that is not allowed. We brought the decorated cookies on with us (each was individually wrapped). We arranged for Buddy Valastro (The Cake Boss) to make our wedding cake. The cake was not made on the ship so that also had to be arranged and approved ahead of time.

I am so excited for you! Your wedding is going to be amazing and one that your guests will never forget!

That's a really smart idea. I didn't even think of just getting regular beach bags to use (without names). I'll have to look into that.

We made some "passport invitations" that had all the info in them (the itinerary, etc), but I imagine a reminder wouldn't hurt. Plus, sharing the other cabin numbers is a good idea.

The t-shirt idea for a group picture is ADORABLE. I love it. (Apparently I'm gonna replicate your wedding...hehe)

As for the cake, we are driving from NC to Miami, so I don't have a special baker in mind, but that's awesome that you had Cake Boss do it. Honestly, I am hoping to get permission to take HOME some of the cake for our anniversary, but the girls at Royal Ocean Events told me I would have to ask and there's not really a way to guarantee that they'll let me. But we are thinking of having a reception for the friends when we get back, so worst case scenario we can use THAT as our anniversary cake.

We were allowed to take some of the cake home. Arrange it with the group coordinators (I sound like a broken record) and they will freeze a section for you to take at the end of the trip.

Another idea would be to plan something around the white hot party (I think that is still on the Sky). Matching shirts, get glow sticks/necklaces from the dollar store..

On our last cruise, we attended a wedding on the ship (someone we met here on CC!). The family all had white outfits for the big party. The pictures were great.

Haha. You don't sound like a broken record. Just someone who knows the Group Coordinator can help. And that is the info *I* need to know :D

I can't imagine not being able to take the cake OFF the ship. I would understand safety issues bringing it onboard, but not off. I know the cake price is based per person, so I imagine I will need to claim a few extra people to have some to take home.

I have heard of the White Hot Party and thought of using it to my advantage, but I know the parents will most likely NOT want to go, so it would probably not be ideal for the group photo. I think the private island is probably the smartest place for it. Now I just have to REALLY hope the weather holds up 'cause I'm crazy and didn't realize it was hurricane season when I started planning this

• 2 months later...

So, Beachmonkey, I took your advice and ordered some bags that just have anchors on them. No names. I think it'll work out better since they can all keep them and not feel silly using them again.

I also got some things to make "survival kits." This is what is in them:

1357117160_20150823_121802(2).jpg.f77fec4666bf6adfa13e3e57950ecc2a.jpg

I also have the cups that I did not include in the picture, but what do you think I should do as far as bagging all the items? I've seen some really cute ideas on pinterest, like this:

oot-kit.jpg.51f84d37e27f390711419bee748ed906.jpg

But I wouldn't even know where to begin on getting the labels made.

I also really liked your idea of a "Welcome Aboard" letter with all the rooms of the others, but again.....where do you get those made without them costing an arm and a leg?

Do you have any suggestions on how to get this "pretty"?

Here are step by step instructions on how to make a pretty label using Microsoft Word.

http://justagirlandherblog.com/make-labels-in-microsoft-word/

You can then take the label to a local business copying place (Fedex Office or Staples or whatever and have them print it on card stock for you. The cellophane bags for the items can be purchased at a craft store or online at places like Amazon.