Too late for lunch on Oceana embarkation in Genoa?

Doughty3

We fly out to Genoa, landing at 13:40. By the time we embark will there be anywhere to get some food on board? All the restaurants seem to have closed by then. My other half is worried that he'll start his first ever cruise hungry!!

We fly out to Genoa, landing at 13:40. By the time we embark will there be anywhere to get some food on board? All the restaurants seem to have closed by then. My other half is worried that he'll start his first ever cruise hungry!!

Could he not buy something air side at the airport,before flying out,to keep him going until the evening meal.

We fly from Bournemouth which I imagine is a really small airport with limited facilities...we'll find out.

oh err, never having done a fly cruise and always managing to get something from the buffet when we board...I think that probably stays open all the time, just changing what it is serving, so instead of lunch it would be tea/cakes/sandwiches/a couple of hot things/sausage rolls etc. A bit later after that it would change into the evening offerings.

The Buffet Restaurant is open all day plus there are some open deck food outlets. In addition there is Room Service. You won't have a problem getting something to eat. If it is later the Main Dining Room opens at around 6pm. One thing about cruises is there is no food shortage day or night.

A cruise is an opportunity to eat 24 hours a day. As soon as lunch finishes afternoon tea begins and so on and so forth. The struggle is to avoid overeating. Going hungry and cruising is a complete contradiction in terms.

Unless it has changed room service is not available on turn around day -But you will not have to do without food I can assure you --a friend of mine put on a stone on a 14 night cruise -----------I was very proud of myself as after 12 days I came back weighing exactly the same !! but I was trying !! There are also fast food venues round the pool on most ships !! as well as the Buffet --and afternoon tea can be quite something although I do not indulge !!

When are you going on your cruise? We are also cruising from Genoa. We go on 5th August. I have been reliably informed that there is always food available!

SmithieNix we're not going until September 16th.

We've not cruised before & were going to do 7 days, but we couldn't decide which itinerary we preferred so ended up booking the full 14 days. That could be a big mistake if we don't take to cruising!

I think it's the large number of people on board that makes me a bit apprehensive, OH has never been very good at patiently queueing.

We've just come back from the 2 weeks and we hardly queued at all and we found it quite easy to avoid the crowd. At a push I would say the Genoa to Venice leg is the best because of the Stunning Venice Sail in and the visit to Dubrovnik, which doesn't mean you will be disappointed with the other leg which visited some lovely places too, and of course included the stunning Kotor sail in (you have to get up early to see it). We had a great time and 14 days flew by :).

• 3 weeks later...
SmithieNix we're not going until September 16th.

We've not cruised before & were going to do 7 days, but we couldn't decide which itinerary we preferred so ended up booking the full 14 days. That could be a big mistake if we don't take to cruising!

I think it's the large number of people on board that makes me a bit apprehensive, OH has never been very good at patiently queueing.

We have just returned Doughty3. We only did 7 days, but wish we could have stayed for 14! You don't need to worry about food. My OH worked out there is only a 30 minute period of time between 6am and 3am the following morning when you can't get food somewhere. Even when official lunch is over, there is something in the buffet (Plaza) most of the day, you can eat by the pool or inside on Deck 8 at Cafe Jardin. If your OH is hungry, he is simply being too polite! And of course there is afternoon tea like Tripalot said! :p

Your cruise sounds lovely, just wish we could do 14 days round the med in September, weather will be lovely, not too many crowds, kids in school. We felt it bit apprehensive on our first cruise, and felt we had to get everything right, but it doesn't always happen, you learn new things each cruise, but in the end it is just like a floating hotel with virtually 24 hour food and when you wake each morning you are in the different place. Perfect in my opinion.

Thank you all for your kind replies.

So, my husband isn't going to starve, I'll be able to do my own thing when I want to and I'm going to meet a lot of lovely people like you.

I'm feeling much more confident now that we're going to enjoy ourselves!