Ketchikan Timing

vtxriders

We have a 2 hour Misty Fjords flight-seeing tour with Island Wings while in port. However, the timing isn't ideal. Our port time is 10A - 6P. The flight is at Noon which leaves 1 3/4 hours pre-flight and 3+ hours post flight.

Recommendations for before and after? Would love to get some pictures and walk around Creek Street and town in general. Is that enough time?

Those of you that have been there, do you have a suggestion to utilize the pre-flight time? At some point, I supposed we will want to eat.

copied from Tripadvisor

I always suggest, people be mindful of tour scheduling, and not book a mid timeframe- if you have other interests? I would suggest, you attempt to change this time, there should be a 2pm tour. And finally, there are several excellent alternative vendors as well.

But, if you only want to walk around the Creek St areas, yes you would have time. I suggest you take a look at a map, and also find out your docking space, since, if you happen to have dock 4 you are going to have to factor in the time, it is going to take you to get back there.

Especially if you were interested in some in town museums, or getting to Totem Bight as example, change this inconvenient flight time.

You should have plenty of time post tour to visit most of downtown. Creek Street in interesting and only a 10-15 minute walk from the docks.

We went on a Duck Tour there last week and had a blast. Of course it was one of the hottest days they've had recently so that helped.

We just did the flight with Island Wings departing at 11:30. To be honest, before the trip we were glad to relax on the ship as it was our final port and we had been up quite early most days. We met Shona dockside at 11:00 and she drove us to the plane... 5 mins away. The flight was great, Michelle inspires confidence she is so capable.

After the flight we had a quick snack on board, and then explored Ketchikan ... It's a really nice port, not very big and you will easily get to Creek St. We ended having a beer overlooking the bay before getting back on board about 30 mins ahead of time. We sailed at 6:00

Edited by Vacation Nut

Thanks for the helpful information. We are in the same situation as the OP, 12:30 flightseeing with Island Wings. We are on the Oceania Regatta in port from 9:00 a.m to 8:00 p.m. However, there are 4 other huge ships in port that day, Aug 28. We are anchored and have to tender into Ketchikan. Any ideas about how much time we need to allow for catching the tender to return to the ship? I'm guessing all aboard will be at 7:00.

What time do the other ships depart? I'm wondering if Ketchikan will be less crowded in the afternoon as other passengers return to their ships.

There were two large ships (Radiance and NCL ??) in port when we were there. Definitely uncrowded in the afternoon as most people got straight off in the morning and were back on by lunch time. We did not tender, but the one port where we did there was a huge line to get on the tender and it still only took 30 mins to get back on board.

Thanks for the helpful information. We are in the same situation as the OP, 12:30 flightseeing with Island Wings. We are on the Oceania Regatta in port from 9:00 a.m to 8:00 p.m. However, there are 4 other huge ships in port that day, Aug 28. We are anchored and have to tender into Ketchikan. Any ideas about how much time we need to allow for catching the tender to return to the ship? I'm guessing all aboard will be at 7:00.

What time do the other ships depart? I'm wondering if Ketchikan will be less crowded in the afternoon as other passengers return to their ships.

You are on a small ship, with low numbers of people, but I would still suggest at least an hour window for tendering, so 7pm. It will be clearly noted at the gangway- the last tender time.

If you want the specifics of who's in port and numbers, take a look at the schedules. the times should be listed.

You have an excellent port time, but it falls short with your tour schedule. Just some information for others, who may want better use of their time. Especially if interested in additional touring.

We are in the same quandary for our cruise in Sept. We arrive in Ketchikan at 6am and leave at 1:30pm but our Island Wings flight is 9:00-11:00. Just a really bad time but all they offered us. We are hoping those 3 hrs before and 2 hrs after the tour will be enough to at least walk around the town. [emoji21]

We are in the same quandary for our cruise in Sept. We arrive in Ketchikan at 6am and leave at 1:30pm but our Island Wings flight is 9:00-11:00. Just a really bad time but all they offered us. We are hoping those 3 hrs before and 2 hrs after the tour will be enough to at least walk around the town. [emoji21]

Michelle, gets praises, and skewed worshiping:) :) (yes I have flown with her), but she isn't any better then many other excellent Ketchikan pilots. There are several, long time, well established vendors to choose from. In my opinion, making compromises because, someone is funneled into only one choice, isn't a wise choice, if you have other interests. There are 7am flights running, that I would be choosing (and have many times).

With this being our first cruise to Alaska AND first time on a float plane, I have no loyalty toward Michelle. I just don't know who else to book through. I almost booked with one company who offered a 8:00 am 1.5 hr flight but after seeing they had had a couple of crashes my husband said no way! He had a bad experience as a kid when his best friend and friends dads 2 seater plane went down. The father died on impact, and my husband was there to cover him up, the friend lived but was in the hospital for months. So I stuck with Michelle. I didn't see any 7;00am flights offered anywhere. [emoji19]

Hi everyone, we are sailing on the Coral Princess early September, it's our first cruise. I have just made a booking with Island Wings. A few things made me decide to go with them. They have never had passengers missed a ship departure in 20 years operation. They do NOT fly in bad weather. I am not the best person flying in small planes, I got sick twice before. But I trust Michelle and her pilots. I would not book with a company that employs pilots without local flying training. Just look at the last accident on 25/6. My better half has flown a lot in small planes and it's her birthday on this cruise, so this is a present to her. Just hope we get good weather on the day!!

Hi everyone, we are sailing on the Coral Princess early September, it's our first cruise. I have just made a booking with Island Wings. A few things made me decide to go with them. They have never had passengers missed a ship departure in 20 years operation. They do NOT fly in bad weather. I am not the best person flying in small planes, I got sick twice before. But I trust Michelle and her pilots. I would not book with a company that employs pilots without local flying training. Just look at the last accident on 25/6. My better half has flown a lot in small planes and it's her birthday on this cruise, so this is a present to her. Just hope we get good weather on the day!!

There are a LOT of very seasoned Alaska pilots that also have years of experience flying out of Ketchikan. Your skewed post, makes it sound like there isn't? Your "bad weather" claim also is "interesting"? You are saying, when you go out- the weather is going to stay the same through the trip, because of the vendor you chose? Or that other pilots fly in foul weather and/or have people missing ships? You haven't even gone yet.

Edited by Budget Queen

I think that you Budjet Queen is getting everything.. "skewed" or whatever you call it. Never heard that term used in that way before. I think you have another agenda or interest in this subject. I have no idea what you are on.... about my thoughts with the weather on other days of our trip. I'm only saying what i personally think from my very distant observations, and don't expect anyone to agree or disagree with what I say. All i can say is everyone who wants to fly in Sketchikan is to make their own choices. But it won't stop me choosing who i will fly with and that will NOT be with any company that has recent disasters. I nearly forgot, I didn't imply other pilots fly in bad weather, but other people have commented about this aspect happening elsewhere on the world wide web. What i meant was that Island Wings refunds your money. I will leave it up to everyone to do there due diligence to look else where on the internet to find other peoples comments other than mine, like I did.

regards Peter

Edited by PeterW00

Given the time you have is set and not subject to change, it will have to do.

We were there in May and I think the few hours each side of the flight is OK for a good look around.

We also did the flight in the middle of our stay.

Most of the town is within a 10-15 minute walk from the dock and we enjoyed our stroll.

Edited by wally_bushy

Thank you Wally_bushy. I tried for an earlier tour but none were available so we are taking the 9am. I'd rather take the tour and enjoy it, than cancel or stress out about the time frame of it all. So thank you for the encouragement that we can still enjoy a bit of Ketchikan. :)

Budget Queen I know from my short time searching these boards that you've been to Alaska a lot and are well acquainted with it, your advice is invaluable, but please keep in mind that some of us have never been and are making excursion choices and decisions based on reviews of others. I personally read a news article about pilots in Alaska who come fly for the season but who sometimes are not used to the weather there or the shifting air currents...they are basically Alaskan newbies in some respects. So when one reads things like that and also reads of floatplane crashes, etc., one who is new to Alaska, and perhaps a little leery of planes in general, has to make the best decision based on the info found. PeterW00 wrote "a few things made me decide..." And then listed those things. I don't think his reasons were "skewed" they were just his reasons based on his own research...not your personal vast knowledge of the area. [emoji6] I understand what you were saying, but the delivery of it could have been better; you came off somewhat offensive and belittling instead of helpful. I just feel that message boards such as these (and though I am brand spankin' new here, I've been a long standing member on other boards) are a place to find and offer encouragement, help, and guidance not a place to feel attacked or belittled. Good grief, it's just a cruise board not a political or religious one! lol [emoji23]

I know you were on Regatta in May. We will be on her at the end of August for the last Alaska cruise. I would love to hear about the excursions you took. Would you be willing to email me? My email is ledmiston at EarthLink dot net.

Thank you in advance.

Unfortunately we're in the same boat with the mid-day flight. We're in port from 7am-3pm. We booked with Carlin Air and we're just notified today that our flight time has changed and is now at 10:30am (until approx 12:30pm). Our only other plans were to explore Creek Street, but I guess we'll have to do that in the morning now to be on the safe side.

Any thoughts from the experienced cruisers as to how long we should allot to that? Perhaps getting off the ship around 8:30-9am?

We flew with Misty Fjords in Ketchikan last week on a 2pm flight. They picked us up at 1.30 at the visitors center. We enjoyed the flight and our pilot. The planes can be warm and stuffy so best to peel off your layers before getting in. Our flight only had 4 passengers but could have had up to 8.

We got off the boat early and my husband did a zip line excursion - I had nothing planned and walked in the Visitor Center and picked up a tour that worked with his timing. There are plenty of vendors there to choose from and you should be able to find something to work with your times. I also found they were willing to adjust their prices.

Afterwards we decided to get back to the ship early and enjoy the quiet.

If you are picked up a half an hour before your tour, and accounting for time off the ship, your morning time may be shorter than you are thinking.

Thanks Gertie. Fortunately our pickup time is 10:30am, not the flight itself. I don't imagine we'll need too too long to check out Creek Street and the salmon ladders?

Not long at all unless you stop and shop at every little place - then allow a little time to walk back to the ship.

Don't bother with Dolly's House.