Help with decision to sue insurance company

Martyjac

I cruised using Travel Guard AIG insurance. I ddid not have a pre-existing dental problem when we sailed. On the ship I got an abscessed tooth. They covered expenses on the ship for a abscess tooth with Amoxcilion and prescription. Although, coming back from Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego the pain increased, and I was going to have the tooth seen by a dentist at Cabo, but the port was cancelled due to technical issues by the Veendam, Holland America. Actually, both our 2 ports were cancelled in Mexico. Therefore I had no other choice to have tooth extracted after the cruise, in which the insurance company won't cover due that the extraction was done after the cruise. Anyone's input will be appreciated.I am thinking of going to Small Claims Court. Has anyone had a similar situation?

Martin

I'm looking at the policy right now... It explicitly states that no dental coverage is provided after you return home. (Medical care, as opposed to dental is covered for follow up care after you get home.)

Well, as a highly regulated product, I don't think insurance laws allow a forum selection clause. If they are licensed to do business in your state, you can sue them in your state (which makes sense, since they are regulated by the laws in your state; it'd make no sense to try and get, say, a Florida judge to enforce Iowa insurance law.)