splash academy sign in/out

MigMan

We will be sailing the Breakaway next month with our son and this year, for the first time, he will be old enough to sign himself in and out of Splash Academy. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with how this process works?

Are the parents notified when the kids sign themselves out? Should we bring walkie talkies so that we can communicate with him when he signs himself out?

You are not notified. If you give permission to check themselves out, NCL assumes you are ok with them leaving, also, how would they contact those parents throughout the ship?

Walkie talkies don't work well/at all on the ships. If you need to stay in touch you need to coordinate that between you and your child.

We were on the Gem last week with our 10 year old. She loved being able to leave dinner and sign herself into Splash. She did not abuse her in/out priveledges. They can leave less than 2 hours if it backs into a time the club closes. For example, if she went at 11am, she still left at 12 noon since it closes for lunch. Just know the hours so you don't think your kid is there and they are out roaming. Also check the schedule, some mornings the pick up/drop off was at the sports court. Enjoy! She had a great time and went everyday.

We gave our son those privileges. Our rule was that he had to contact us through iConcierge to ask permission to leave. If he couldn't reach us or his phone died, then too bad, he'd have to stay until we got him.

And yes, of course we could sign him out before 2 hours was up if we wanted to! They certainly aren't going to hold your child hostage from you.

I'm still confused about splash academy opening hours, are they open all day from breakfast time on port days as well as sea days, i know they close at lunch and at dinner time (unless you want to pay for them to take your kids )

I'm still confused about splash academy opening hours, are they open all day from breakfast time on port days as well as sea days, i know they close at lunch and at dinner time (unless you want to pay for them to take your kids )

On sea days, they open at like 9 or 10am, then they close from 12 to 2pm. They open from 2 to 5 pm, then close from 5 to 7pm. So basically they close during meal times. They then open from 7 pm to 10:30pm. You can pay a fee for late night hours from 10:30pm to 1am if you'd like.

On port days they are also open during meal hours, but you have to pay a fee if you want your child to eat while at Splash Academy.