Problems onboard the Diamond

joyus

This will be our first cruise onboard a Princess ship and our first on a relatively brand new ship. After reading about the various problems onboard the Diamond, I must admit my excitement is waning a little.

Is it normal for a new ship to have problems like this?

Every time any cruise line launches a new ship, I've always heard of problems ranging from embarkation/debarkation to dining room service to power outages. It seems these bumps are just a normal part of getting the kinks worked out of any new venture. After the ship has gone out a few times, the frequency of complaints usually decreases

Kethry88,

If you read all of the posts even the ones that talk about the problems say the cruise was worth it, that over all they had a great time. If you went to a Hyatt Regency for a week and there was a pipe leak on a floor you weren't on would you really be bothered?

Believe me the cruise line is much more motivated to fix it than even you are. We sail on her in 6 days, I am sure it will be ok, but if there is a minor glitch on deck 10, I will spend more time on 11.

Relax ships this size have over 1800 MILES of wiring, and tens of thousands of connections, a few of them will need tweaking.. not to worry.

[B]<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 05/04
Mercury 06/02
Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98
Legend o.t. Seas 09/95
[B]<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 04/04
Sea Princess 01/02
Vision o.t. Seas 04/02
Star Princess 12/02[B]<FONT color=red>
West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>[/B]
Ecstacy 09/01
Vision o.t. Seas 10/02
[B]<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 12/97
[B]<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 9/96

srphnx- Great attitude!

Happy Cruising

Chris

[url="http://www.LifeIsCruising.com"]www.LifeIsCruising.com[/url]

Next up:
Caribbean Princess 06/26/04
Star Princess 10/24/04
Carnival Victory 12/19/04
Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

In spite of the problems on our cruise last week, we had a blast! The only frustrating part is that they don't really advise passengers all that is happening, and in the long run that's good so as not to unnecessarily scare people. When something was bad, as for example, the engine failure, they advised us. Didn't affect the cruise at all! This also can happen to an older ship--does not matter if it's new or old, things can happen. Go and enjoy!

I remember helping break in a new ship and crew with Renissance. We were always getting free drinks for the little snafus to the point that I think we helped instigate a few of our own to keep the drinks acoming. A good time was had by us.

John

I was on the Diamond Princess last week also. Had a great time. I have to say though that it was a little stressful getting back late to port. I didn't believe we could catch our 2:20pm flight when disembarking at 1:00pm. Surprisingly, I made my flight with 10 minutes to spare. I'm sure this doesn't happen often. By the way, It's a great ship, very beautiful, and excellent food.

I wish I could report that significant problems aboard are fixed right away. On the April 4 sailing of the Grand, there was a water leak right over the orchestra section of the Princess Theater. It took out 32 prime seats, which were covered by plastic with pails to catch the flow. Wasn't fixed until 4 days after sailing.

Vern

Gen. C.H. Muir 1947
Gen. Harry Taylor 1947
Adriatica Esperia 1971
Ital. Line Michelangelo 1973
Chandris The Victoria 1985
Chandris Britannis 1986
Norwegian Coastal Voyages 1989
Epirotiki Oceanos 1990
Renaissance R-2 1999
Celebrity Galaxy 2000
Celebrity Century 2001 P.Deilmann Konigstein 2001
Vantage River Odyssey 2002
Celebrity Summit 2002
Viking Star 2003
Celebrity Infinity 2004
Grand Princess 2004

It may not just be this ship. When we returned
on the Royal to Ft. Lauderdale on 3/25/04. We
were 1hr. and 15 minutes late getting into port.
And the customs people didn't let people off for some time. By the time they let the first people off it was over 2 hours later than was
stated it would be. No explanation was ever given. That's why I never worry about taking a
early flight I'd hate to mess up a great cruise.

Archived