Solo traveller on Fred Olsen World cruise 2016

Brit48

Has anyone ever done a world cruise with Fred Olsen? I took my first solo cruise with them on the Bramer to St Peterburg last September and had a fantastic time, and met lots of nice people my age group. In January there was a special 10,20,30% promotion, I decided to book the world cruise for the itinery, and booked an around the Uk and Scottish Islands, and a French waterways cruise. My around the UK was in June, and I found I did not like the ship at all, the majority of passengers were very elderly, most of then asleep in the lounges at 10.am in the mornings, and no-one around in the evening. I am wondering now if I have mad a big mistake on the world cruise with Fred Olsen.I have been on 2 transatlantic crossings from Southampton to Florida with Celebrity, and loved it. This past Janaury I went on the first leg of the world cruise on the Queen Victoria and had a wonderful trip. I have trevelled solo since loosing my husband 2 1/2 years ago. I do not fly, so cannot just to 'legs" of world cruises. I am going on the French waterways cruise on 1 August. I have till the beginning of Oxtoner to make a decision, I will loose a hefty deposit if I cancel. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

Nothing worse than being on the wrong cruise ship, even for a week. Went on HAL once. not my cup of tea. We have all done it. Are you sure you will lose your deposit? Why be miserable and paying for it?

Well, as they say...the longer and more exotic the cruise; the older the passengers because they are only ones that really have the time and money to do such a long cruise. A world cruise is going to attract mostly those 65+ I'm sorry to say. That's not to say there won't be anyone younger or that there won't be any activities after 10PM...however, the odds aren't in your favor. Before I'd commit to such a long and expensive cruises you should really do your homework. Post your thread/question in the "Fred Olsen board" and the "World cruises" board and see what other advise those that have been on a world cruise. The solo board is unfortunately too limited audience for your question. However, many solos do go on World cruise and really enjoy themselves because you have time to get to know many people on board and develop friendly relations during their voyage. On the other hand since you don't fly you could be stuck on a float nursing home for 3 months. Jim

Edited by COMBOY

Brit, you are on 2016. You should be able to get full refund. I just got off 71N on Oceania Insignia. Lots of Brits on. great group of cruisers, no sleepy heads.They were offering 25% SS. Looked up 2016 WCs. Princess not in port enough. Three Queens WCs out of England. I think best solo experience is Hollands Amsterdam out of Florida, currently with 25% SINGLES SUPPLEMENT.Excellent ports, beautiful ship.Take one of Queens over/ back.