San Juan Excursion to Rainforest

lesliew

We will be in port in San Juan from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm. Can anyone suggest the best way to visit the Rainforest? We are travelling on NCL Dawn.. has anyone taken their excursion? How was it? It is only $39 which seems like a pretty good deal. Do you get to leave the bus or is it just a tour where you stay onboard the bus? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

We will be in port in San Juan from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm. Can anyone suggest the best way to visit the Rainforest? We are travelling on NCL Dawn..

My boyfriend and I are also on the Oct 9 Dawn. We are also interested in getting to the rainforest (El Yunque), however, we want to avoid the tour if possible in order to get in some real hiking. I hear the tours are pretty slow paced.

Are you interested in a tour, or in simply getting there to do some hiking on your own like us? If you just want to get there, maybe we could split a cab and save money?

I've inquired with the forest office and got this reply, mainly suggesting taxi transportation:

Thank You for your interest in the Caribbean National Forest, locally known as El Yunque. In response to your request, the Forest is located about 20 miles east from San Juan area, or about an hour driving distance, that is why there is no public transportation available to the Forest. Among the options available for you are:

arranging with a taxi upon arrival at San Juan dock (which should be one authorized to operate within the Forest premises -USDA Forest Service logo on the windshield- identifies it), probably asking for a flat rate would be less expensive as you will need transportation while in the Forest and back to the ship. Also upon arrival to San Juan dock you can request a private tour w/ and individual tour operator. I don't think that renting a car for a day might be a choice because it would be too expensive.

For obtaining details on transportation companies you may call the PR Tourism Board at (787) 722-1709

Should you need additional assistance,please let us know.

I have not had luck researching USDA Forest Service approved cabs, however, but hopefully they are just there when we arrive. We also thought about renting a car but this makes me nervous, especially since it's a fairly short day.

This past August, we went with Shore Trips on a Rainforest Excursion. We got on the bus and told him what we wanted to do, and he molded the tour around that.

We wanted more hiking and less driving, so we took two one hour trails. [We could have done more, but a couple of our friends didn't want to.] He also made sure that one of the trails was a more 'famous' one with a waterfall, while the other was not booming with people. Both were beautiful in their own right. :)

I would most definitely reccomend this trip again. Our guide was WONDERFUL, and even changed our pick up time twice due to us having trouble getting off the ship.

Silllylizzie, Thanks for the information. I have looked up Shore Trips, and just wondered a bit more about them... I see their price is a bit less than the Ship's tour, but I am a bit nervous about pre-paying the whole thing... I assume you did pre-pay? Was there any mention of problems if the port was missed or something like that? Sailing in October I am ready for the weather conditions to change, so I am just wondering what would happen if we missed San Juan port?? Or, if the day changed. Also, I see you changed your time due to delays debarking the ship - how did you contact them? Are they fully aware of the need to be back onboard the ship in plenty of time? Thanks for your help!

Lilydale, saw in the response from US Forest Service that they said renting a car is too expensive..... well we rented a medium size suv for the day from Hertz and it was only $57.00 U.S. Pick up from Sheraton Old San Juan and return same place. Also have researched this to death as we are like you and wish to do our own thing - not have to do what bus tour does.... I found that the road is really good - 4 lane highway and about a 45 minute drive both ways. There is a website which has excellent info on hiking trails - try www.hechoenpuertorico.org/yunque/hik_elyu.htm There is a yellow bar running down the right side....scroll down and clink on rainforest link.

Hope this helps...

Silllylizzie, Thanks for the information. I have looked up Shore Trips, and just wondered a bit more about them... I see their price is a bit less than the Ship's tour, but I am a bit nervous about pre-paying the whole thing... I assume you did pre-pay? Was there any mention of problems if the port was missed or something like that? Sailing in October I am ready for the weather conditions to change, so I am just wondering what would happen if we missed San Juan port?? Or, if the day changed. Also, I see you changed your time due to delays debarking the ship - how did you contact them? Are they fully aware of the need to be back onboard the ship in plenty of time? Thanks for your help!

Yes, we pre-paid and weren't too nervous. However, we were on the Adventure of the Seas which left from San Juan. So our excursion was done AFTER the cruise ended.

When you book with them, they give you a voucher that has 3 phone numbers on it. Two are contacts in the area (one being your tour operator and another being their immediate boss). They also give you a 1-800 number that is in the states. The owners of this company are based in Wisconsin. In San Juan my cell phone worked and for no extra charge due to my nationwide plan. In other islands, this might be a problem. There's always email, which is cheaper if you're in the middle of the ocean.

If you have any hesitations or questions, call them. They are super friendly and helpful.

When I called Barry (one of the owners) he even changed the times on some of the other excursions we had booked through them. [ie - In Barbados the tour we wanted was only available in the afternoon. He changed the time, and we went on an 8am tour.] There were also 6 of us, so that might have made a difference as well.

ANother thing, we booked ours last minute. I know it wasn't the smartest thing to do, however we've done it in the past and never had any problems. Perhaps if you're deciding between this and a ship sponsored one you could wait until right before? Just another thought...

Archived