Wine Tasting and on Oasis

I'm leaving on the Oasis Eastern route next month. Does anyone have any details on the wine tasting offerings ( i.e. What days, themes, notable wines and/or cost)?

Thanks in advance!!!

If they are offering the Lafite Wine Tasting Experience, all the details should be in your Cruise Planner.

Wine tastings at Vintages vary, so you should check with them when you board.

Edited by clarea

I appreciate the response.

I'd love to get the perspective of anyone who has just come off Oasis and participated in an event. :)

We did the Lafite tasting on our Oasis cruise this past March. We did the same tasting on the Grandeur the year before. Enjoyed both experiences and recommend it. I didn't get a chance to experience the other tasting listed in the Compass. They offer tasting from different regions such as Italy and Spain.

On another note, don't miss the Rising Tide Bar. While it isn't a wine tasting, it is a fun experience!

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you so much!!!

What is the Lafite tasting? We actually just got back from a weekend of winery touring and my DH wanted me to get insight so I really appreciate any detail you can provide.

I don't plan on missing the rising tide! It's too unique to pass up!!

Thank you so much!!!

What is the Lafite tasting? We actually just got back from a weekend of winery touring and my DH wanted me to get insight so I really appreciate any detail you can provide.

Lafite is a French wine tasting. When we attended, it was at 150 Central Park. You are seated at a table with other participants. On the table will be a placemat, describing each wine being served, along with a plate of cheese and fruit. Wines are served one at a time, with a description of the wine, the region it is from and food pairing suggestions, as well as which cheese on the plate pairs with the wine. At the end, you will receive a "memento folder", containing literature on the wines tasted, recipes, etc.

We reserved before our cruise from the Cruise Planner.

It was fun and informative. Enjoy!

Thank you so much!!!

What wines interest you? Do you frequently visit wineries, are you a member of one or more wine clubs? Do you have a good knowledge of wine?

I did this several years ago on I think Freedom. The wines are mid-level Bordeaux or Bordeaux style wines. They are OK. If you are exploring wine, it's a good experience. If wine is "your thing", skip it.

Thanks for the info on the Laftie!

I do like wine but I wouldn't consider myself someone who would call it "my thing". I do go to wineries a few times per year and am very interested in always trying new things.

I tend to like Chardonnays, Malbecs, Zinfandels and California Cabernets. The wineries I went to this weekend had a very wide local variety of NJ grapes and I tried some things you can 't usually find in the stores.

Thanks for the info on the Laftie!

I do like wine but I wouldn't consider myself someone who would call it "my thing". I do go to wineries a few times per year and am very interested in always trying new things.

I tend to like Chardonnays, Malbecs, Zinfandels and California Cabernets. The wineries I went to this weekend had a very wide local variety of NJ grapes and I tried some things you can 't usually find in the stores.

Then I might give it a try. Most Bordeaux wines are blends. Whites are normally Semillon and Sauvignon blanc. Reds are some blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot, and Malbec. Many Bordeaux reds are designed to be aged and drunk in from 5-40 years, depending on the wine. That means they're typically not as fruity and tend to be very tannic when young. And Lafite is a classic Bordeaux producer of exquisite wines that need time. So don't be surprised that some of the "better" wines they taste may seem a little harsh.

Thank you so much!!!

We'll be on the Oasis with you that week! I'll be looking into reserving the Lafite (if available when I check as soon as this post is done....)

And we are definitely going to try the Martini Class on the Rising Tide too. That sounds like a great time. 25 bucks, I think....

Here's a quote from Mermaid-ooxx's Trip Report Titled Oasis Review (Eastern Caribbean)

Best thing I did on day 3 was the martini-making class on the rising tide. Led by Mixologist, Francisco and his merry band of helpers, we were led through a history of alcohol (how it's made, how it's used, and some common myths). Then it was time to get to work. There were about 13 of us in this first class. James and Francisco passed out all of the supplies, explained how they were used, and then we began making magic. Francisco took us through 4 different martinis (two with rum, and two with vodka), step by step, teaching us how to make martinis that appealed to our own tastes. Yes, you drink what you make! The cost was about $25 and the class lasted about an hour and a half.

Do they have this Lafite wine tasting on Allure of the Seas or is there another wine tasting event you recommend?

The Lafite appears to be fleet wide; they did it on Brilliance last week, more than once on a 12 day cruise.

Really, this is a matter of personal taste and interest. If you have a good manager at Vintages, you can have some great tastings. I am a big fan of Bordeaux wines, but they can be tricky for "drink now" wines. The same is true of many heavier California cabs.

Personally, I'd hold off booking online, unless there's a generous cancellation policy, and find out what Vintages is offering, and try to judge the knowledge of the staff. You may find a couple of events that really interest you. And find out what they're tasting at the Lafite event! If they're only a couple of years old, you're going to be underwhelmed. They'll either be too young to drink, or second or third tier wines that will have you scratching your head.

If you are a wine aficionado and foodie then you must do the Chef's Table. The food and wine paring is outstanding.

Did that on Brilliance last week. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

It's amazing what the onboard team can do for small numbers of guests and "unlimited" time!

Will something like this be listed on the Compass?

In our experience, some wine tastings were not listed in the Compass. Best to go to Vintages and ask for their schedule of tastings.

If they are offering the Lafite Wine Tasting Experience, all the details should be in your Cruise Planner.

Wine tastings at Vintages vary, so you should check with them when you board.

Good advice!!!

We'll be on the Oasis with you that week! I'll be looking into reserving the Lafite (if available when I check as soon as this post is done....)

And we are definitely going to try the Martini Class on the Rising Tide too. That sounds like a great time. 25 bucks, I think....

Here's a quote from Mermaid-ooxx's Trip Report Titled Oasis Review (Eastern Caribbean)

I'm sure we'll see you at the bar :)