DIY to VGBaths recommendations-NCL in port 7-3

CRUIS4ME

Our NCL ship is in port from 7-3 on a Friday. Read a lot of the posts concerning doing it ourselves, taking ship excursions, or private tour. I'm leaning to the do it ourself option. However, I havent seen any recent postings and would like to hear feedback from folks who were in port the same timeframe....did a DIY on the ferry work well? glad one took the NCL excursion vs DIY...? etc. Would like to see recent feedback. Thanks.

Not to hijack your thread but it does seem silly to ask my detailed questions about the same subject/destination. Hopefully we can both benefit! :)

Will be our first time in Tortola. I've dreamed of seeing the Baths for so very long. I really dislike ship excursions just because moving along at a slower pace with a large group nags my impatience. But, having not been there before, I'd like some reassurances so I know what to expect sorta blow-by-blow.

So when we walk off the ship/pier where do we go to catch the ferry? Is the ferry dock close? I'm a landmark girl so some navigation with landmarks would be what I need. I can also study Google maps once I have some direction to guide me. How long does it take to get from the ship to the ferry? If the ship all-ashore time is 7:00, is a 7:45 ferry doable?

Once we get over to Virgin Gorda, there will be taxis right there to hop on, right? I think I read something like $4 or $5 per person? Should we arrange a pickup time with this driver or will there just be plenty of taxis about at the top/starting point maybe by the restaurant that we can hop on with? When we hopped a taxi to Maho Beach in St.Maarten a few years back we arranged with that driver to come back but really we didn't need to as many taxis appear by the Sunset Bar to haul the cruise passengers back. Is it a similar thing in this area of Virgin Gorda?

Ideally hubby and I would like to explore at our pace. We'll likely head back to the ship ahead of many people. I like to keep our time flexible and at our own pace.

Thanks so very much. To the OP, I hope asking for the detailed blow-by-blow helps us both out. :)

Edited by sweetpee_1993

Cruise4me we haven't cruised to Tortola because we stay there so I will let others answer your question.

Sweetie yes these "blow-by-blow" details can be found in multiple threads here as well. The ferry is a short walk to the west of the dock, you can see its location on google maps as you mentioned. The ferry should be doable if you are off early, there are taxis wIting for you at the ferry dock when you arrive Virgin Gorda and at the Top of the Baths for your return. We hooked up with a driver to drop us and return at different spots but your time will be limited to the Baths so no worry on drivers.

Cruise4me we haven't cruised to Tortola because we stay there so I will let others answer your question.

Sweetie yes these "blow-by-blow" details can be found in multiple threads here as well. The ferry is a short walk to the west of the dock, you can see its location on google maps as you mentioned. The ferry should be doable if you are off early, there are taxis wIting for you at the ferry dock when you arrive Virgin Gorda and at the Top of the Baths for your return. We hooked up with a driver to drop us and return at different spots but your time will be limited to the Baths so no worry on drivers.

I've done some searches (I know, cardinal rule with forums!) and can't seem to find exact descriptions of where the ferries are in relation to the (new?) cruise pier. Is it far? How long does it take to get there? Is it right there like you can see it from the cruise ship? That sort of description. Or pictures. Pictures are worth a thousand words, right? I get the impression it's super close and since it's such a popular thing to do I don't think it will be difficult to find people I can ask once I'm there. Thanks for the response. :D

Found the blow-by-blow pictoral walk-thru from the top of the Baths down to the entrance. That was awesome!

The ferry terminal is a short (7 - 10 min fast walk) to the west, you should see it when you arrive into Road Town. As others have mentioned it shouldn't be too busy because most folks are staying on Tortola on a short port day.

Note that there are two ferry services - Speedy's and Smith's, if one has a later return time that gives you more time on VG you can buy one-way tickets for each ferry. That will cost an extra $10pp.

Speedy's also offers packages that include taxi on VG and lunch in Spanishtown which is a short walk from the ferry.

You'll have a better feel once you're there - enjoy!

The ferry terminal is a short (7 - 10 min fast walk) to the west, you should see it when you arrive into Road Town. As others have mentioned it shouldn't be too busy because most folks are staying on Tortola on a short port day.

Note that there are two ferry services - Speedy's and Smith's, if one has a later return time that gives you more time on VG you can buy one-way tickets for each ferry. That will cost an extra $10pp.

Speedy's also offers packages that include taxi on VG and lunch in Spanishtown which is a short walk from the ferry.

You'll have a better feel once you're there - enjoy!

Absolutely. Perfect. Yes, been studying the ferry schedules, etc. Hubby is more of a nervous person when venturing away from the ship on our own. He worries about not getting back to the ship ontime. We typically will er to the side of caution on that and leave ourselves lots of time to get back. So if we think the time it takes to return will be an hour we'll give ourselves 2. We don't typically linger out in the sun for long periods. We just like to venture away in relative peace, be on our time when we can, and keep our option open. Like if we feel a little hungry and see somewhere that appeals we like the freedom to navigate at-will. With all the conversation about going to Virgin Gorda destinations being so doable, I think it will be just fine for us as well. But, inevitably when I'm breaking down the logistics I'll be asked more specific things. Best for me to have answers. ;)

Definitely will find our bearings once we are there. Hubby has a fabulous sense of direction (I do NOT!). As long as I can give him basic info he can usually go with it from there. We're an interesting team to say the least. LOL!

Thanks so much for your info.

Now, hopefully some with recent info contrasting going as an excursion vs. on their own can come satisfy the OP, too. If not, it's looking like hubby & I will be there next month. I'll be sure to come back and give a well-documented review/timeline.

:D

Don't mind other chiming in with questions....one never knows what little tidbit can save the day! Since I posted, I did a cut and paste from all postings reference VG...then I cut and pasted together a running conversation from everyone's advice to include websites for ferry times and location of getting to the ferry...etc. Apparently the ferry dock is a 10-15 min walk to the left of where we get off the ship...to a "red roof building"....as BlueWater indicated...very nearby. I contacted a private tour...but decided I didn't want to snorkel and do a beach and lunch before getting to VG. So I am thinking we will do it ourselves and have Plan B in our pocket. If we can't get the 7:45 ferry because of timing...then we can grab one of the private boaters outside the terminal and get over to VG and back. I sure do hope someone who has been recently with the 7 - 3 timeframe in port does post with their review. Thanks again BlueWater (you give good advice on this port:))