Solo Cruising on QM2

Presbycruiser

For my 50th birthday, which will occur in 2017, I'd love to travel to England where I have family (mother's side) in classic style on the QM2. The thing is I would be going solo. Is it correct that the QM2 is putting in "studio" cabins next year? In the alternative, does Cunard match you with someone to share a stateroom?

If you want grand style, and stability across the Atlantic, Queen Mary 2 is the best possible ship for the job. She's the only passenger ship in service today that is specifically built as an ocean liner.

A lot of people travel solo on QM2, myself being one of them.

First, Cunard does not match up cabin mates. Most here would strongly advise you against sailing with a person you hardly know. If you have not traveled with a person on a land don't do it at sea.

Yes, Cunard is installing new single occupancy cabins on deck two next year. These however will only be ocean view - no balconies because they are very close to the water line. Although Cunard is selling them for voyages after the refit keep in mind that they don't yet exist. So nobody will have any experience on what they are like for a while.

I don't recall what the new single occupancy pricing will be but you can also occupy a "regular" cabin by paying a 75% single supplement. The Grills charge a 100% single supplement. In my opinion the single supplement is far less than what therapy would cost if you had to sail with the cabin mate from hell.

For dining, I ask to be seated at a table for 6 or for 8 to be assured of dining company.

Cunard has not yet announced the 2017 sailing schedule, but you can sign up for emails from Cunard. Start browsing their web site and looking up some youtube videos.

At age 50 you are probably still working and don't have weeks to spend on sea. It's possible to arrange one way air through Cunard. It's also possible to sail round trip if you time it right. In June I sailed from New York, spent four days in London while the ship was sailing between Southampton and Hamburg, then caught her back from Southampton to New York. Altogether it was 18 days and I never had to board an airplane.

Edited by BlueRiband

For my 50th birthday, which will occur in 2017, I'd love to travel to England where I have family (mother's side) in classic style on the QM2. The thing is I would be going solo. Is it correct that the QM2 is putting in "studio" cabins next year? In the alternative, does Cunard match you with someone to share a stateroom?

Regarding single accommodations on QM2 after the 2016 refit: "...15 new Britannia single staterooms for cruise departures from 21 June 2016..."

"...The new staterooms are located midships on Deck 2 and Deck 3 and consist of 15 Ocean View rooms.

Cabin numbers:

[KB Grade are on Deck 2, KC Grade are Deck 3]

2002 3002

2004 3004

2006 3006

2008 3008

2010 3010

2012 3012

Copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/fleet/single_cabins

If you want grand style, and stability across the Atlantic, Queen Mary 2 is the best possible ship for the job. She's the only passenger ship in service today that is specifically built as an ocean liner.

A lot of people travel solo on QM2, myself being one of them.

First, Cunard does not match up cabin mates. Most here would strongly advise you against sailing with a person you hardly know. If you have not traveled with a person on a land don't do it at sea.

Yes, Cunard is installing new single occupancy cabins on deck two next year. These however will only be ocean view - no balconies because they are very close to the water line. Although Cunard is selling them for voyages after the refit keep in mind that they don't yet exist. So nobody will have any experience on what they are like for a while.

I don't recall what the new single occupancy pricing will be but you can also occupy a "regular" cabin by paying a 75% single supplement. The Grills charge a 100% single supplement. In my opinion the single supplement is far less than what therapy would cost if you had to sail with the cabin mate from hell.

For dining, I ask to be seated at a table for 6 or for 8 to be assured of dining company.

Cunard has not yet announced the 2017 sailing schedule, but you can sign up for emails from Cunard. Start browsing their web site and looking up some youtube videos.

At age 50 you are probably still working and don't have weeks to spend on sea. It's possible to arrange one way air through Cunard. It's also possible to sail round trip if you time it right. In June I sailed from New York, spent four days in London while the ship was sailing between Southampton and Hamburg, then caught her back from Southampton to New York. Altogether it was 18 days and I never had to board an airplane.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for this ... I wondered if it would be possible to travel round trip with some time in the UK to see family.

When prices appear for the new single staterooms, be sure to compare them with a regular stateroom (with the single supplement). I have seen many cruises where the single is the same or even more than the larger regular stateroom.