Will you still cruise during hurricane season?

ckrobyn

Will you still cruise during hurricane season?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Will you still cruise during hurricane season?

• Yes I will
    • I only cruise during hurricane season
    • I'll think twice next time
    • Never again

As most of you know - I am still a relatively new cruiser ;)

The idea of lower fares for the cruise/air in the Fall months does appeal to me, but the reality is - I'm not all that flexible. I'm a planner, and would have a tough time having to re-arrange all the details. That being said, I admire you folks that can just "go with the flow" - what a marvelous way to be! :)

We live in Florida so hurricane season is just that, a season. We do not stop doing our normal things and if vacation time comes we go. We know the ship will keep us out of harms way and it could be an adventure to see where you end up next.

Last year the kids were expecting to go to Nassau and ended up in Cozmel. It is what keeps things interesting.

I think the closest we will cruise to hurricane season is July. This year it was cutting it close as we were sandwiched between Dennis and Emily! I do not think we will go in Sept/Oct, but we will chance the summer months. My Mom and Dad take our boys for one week in July and that is the perfect time for us to get away, so that is when we have our own cruise.

When we take the boys we will probably book in the spring so that there is less of a chance for hurricanes. (You can never say it will never happen!) When it comes to my kids I do not think that I want to take a chance of anything happening.

Even with the price difference, it is not worth it for me to be disappointed. I really do look forward to the ports and if they happen to get changed, it could effect my mood.

These past couple of years have been doosies... my heart and prayers go out to everyone in the south right now.

For us, cruising in the fall has numerous advantages.

First, the prices (cruise, airfare, and hotel) are so much less than during the other times of the year. It makes it much easier to be able to afford to upgrade to a balcony cabin.

Second, fewer crowds in ports and at the airport. Since many ships are still in their summer/fall itineraries, the Caribbean isn't crowded with 10-12 ships in port on a single day. Plus there tends to be fewer tourists in general. It's nice to have a chance to see things without a crush of humanity.

Third, more people like us are cruising during this time. Being younger with no children, I've found my peers travel most in the fall. There are fewer families since the kids just went back to school and it's not cold enough for the snowbirds to be heading south. It's nice to have someone similar in age and interests to spend time with.

Finally, for those of us who find half the fun in planning, there's a lot more planning that can be done. Personally, I love the researching part of the trip. Since there's a chance we might get diverted, I had a wonderful excuse to research double the number of ports. And if we do get diverted, it's a great excuse to rebook the original itinerary.

And hey, I've learned an awful lot about the weather since I started following the hurricanes. The weather is always a great small-talk topic :)

We thought we were safe booking for December 3. Unfortunately, we were scheduled to depart from New Orleans on the Grandeur. We have been looking forward to this cruise for 14 months and convinced 12 others to join us. Now it appears this cruise may not happen. It's is stressful to be sure.

I'm thinking we will not be booking anything before February in the future.

Our hearts go out to the people of NO and all in the gulf. I cannot begin to imagine what they are going thru. Makes our anxiety over whether or not we have a cruise to go on seem awfully embarrassing.

This was the first year we were actually thinking of booking next year during hurricane season to save money. We always go in Feb. or March. However, after how bad it has been so far we have decided to definitly not book for next year during hurricane season.

Archived