Train/Bus fares for minors/students

SpokaneDan

Hi all, will be in Italy late Aug. with 3 teens, 14, 17 and 19 (a college student) and we will be using public transportation - Civitavecchia to Rome, Rome metro, and Naples to Pompeii. I am just wondering if Italian public transportation also has reduced fares for their age group? If so, what are these tickets called in Italian? TIA

Dan, when I used the machines for regional trains there was only an option for children (ragazzi) ages 4-14 for half price. You could choose English for the transaction.

I saw reductions (ridotto) for young adults on the faster more expensive trains, but I think you need a Freccia membership number.

I think I remember there was discount for the BIRG ticket to Rome (includes metro and buses in Rome) for children.

If you buy tickets from a person for trains or admissions, you could ask. I don't speak Italian, but if you try broken Italian or English, they would probably understand. My 14 year old is 6'1, and I'm 5'1, so when I asked riduzioni per quattordici anni? with a smile, I usually got smiles back or laughter! But they would give me a discount if there was one. You could ask something like riduzioni per studenti?

Sometimes I forgot to ask, but the prices for transport in Italy are very low.

I bought a 72 hour metro/bus pass in Rome, but there was no reduction for children over 11.

Public transit is already heavily subsidized and quite inexpensive, compared to what we pay here in the States anyway. There are children's fares but no discounts for teens or students. Also, the children's fares assume that the child rides on an adult's lap, they are not entitled to a seat.

There are lots of free and reduced entries to museums and historic sites, however.