Buying other people drinks

epal

Not offended by you - just by the general concept of trying to get something without paying for it because a person 'knows someone' who is willing to steal from the cruise line because he/she works for them.

Thanks, I understand and appreciate that. However, I was gathering from the book that the cruise line recognizes it as a general business practice not someone taking a client out for a lunch, gratis, more or less as good or accepted customer relations. At least that was the inference, that it was out in the open and totally devoid of any wrongdoing component. Of course I've only cruised twice and haven't seen anybody enjoy that perk myself so I don't personally know. I had two books and "used up" mine on the cruise, but my other half has a copy; I'll call her and see if she can't relay the passage and I'll quote it verbatim here.

Of course I also could have led you astray w/my comment about being nice gets you nice things. I meant that overall and in general. Uh, it DID get me extra raffle tickets during happy hour (not that they did ME any good haha); so I'll cop to a big bowl of mea culpa on THAT. ;-)

I'm merely reporting what I read in this book. Don't pussy-foot around, come out and say what's on your mind or why you're offended, or annoyed or whatever your problem is instead of simply alluding to some heinous transgression, please.

Rick Steves is an idiot; that offends and annoys me!

That said, back in the day, when officers hosted tables at dinner, it was often that they would buy wine for the table. One whom I became friendly with told me they had an "entertainment" budget. These days, however, and especially on the large ships, I have not seen officers hanging around, available to be smarmed up to by passengers. Probably because they, too, can read and are aware of Steves' spectacularly awful advice. That man has done more to ruin gracious traveling than the norovirus.

That said, back in the day, when officers hosted tables at dinner, it was often that they would buy wine for the table. One whom I became friendly with told me they had an "entertainment" budget. These days, however, and especially on the large ships, I have not seen officers hanging around, available to be smarmed up to by passengers. Probably because they, too, can read and are aware of Steves' spectacularly awful advice. That man has done more to ruin gracious traveling than the norovirus.

Haha! I don't think he's quite that bad, but I think he is out of his depth writing cruise guides. The lovely vintage hippy vibe of backpacking across Europe does not translate to big, glitzy ships.

I've benefitted from Rick Steves' wonderful suggestions of locals' places to stay, visit and interaction (involvement) for years on at least four European trips which have made me much better understand European culture, as well as how they themselves think, live and perceive themselves and us. That's what traveling is all about. I'm sorry you have fostered quite the strong opinion and I wonder if it's regarding the substance of his offerings, or simply that you are not a fan of his personal style (more understandable), which I'd think would not be a fair criticism given the helpfulness from the entirety of his body of work.

I don't think [Rick Steves is] quite that bad, but I think he is out of his depth writing cruise guides. The lovely vintage hippy vibe of backpacking across Europe does not translate to big, glitzy ships.

Shredie -- Just curious -- have you yourself read his "2014 Mediterranean Cruise Ports" book?

Shredie -- Just curious -- have you yourself read his "2014 Mediterranean Cruise Ports" book?

Not cover to cover, but I have read excerpts. He tries to translate his "through the back door" philosophy to the ship, and it doesn't work. On board, we aren't trying to become one with the culture; we are the crew's "employers" and not their peers. They might get into trouble if they get too cozy with us, inviting us to their cabins and the crew mess for lunch (which is something he would promote on a land vacation with the locals.) He does better with discussing port stops and excursions, but that's what he is good at. He really doesn't "get" the ship culture, IMO.

Not cover to cover, but I have read excerpts. He tries to translate his "through the back door" philosophy to the ship, and it doesn't work. On board, we aren't trying to become one with the culture; we are the crew's "employers" and not their peers. They might get into trouble if they get too cozy with us, inviting us to their cabins and the crew mess for lunch (which is something he would promote on a land vacation with the locals.) He does better with discussing port stops and excursions, but that's what he is good at. He really doesn't "get" the ship culture, IMO.

Fair enough -- your points seem valid. Thanks for your answer, opinion and a little more education for me.