Buying other people drinks

epal

Hi , haven't sailed since drinks package s came in and I'm sure this has been asked before . My father , who's very old school would in the past if sitting with someone would offer to buy a drink for all at table and consider this to be only good manners in doing so how would they charge this to his account.

Thanks for your help it may save him some embarrassing moments when he travels in Dec

If you're asking because your father will have the AI drink package - then he can't. He can only purchase drinks for himself.

OTOH - if he doesn't have it and others at the table do, hopefully they will be considerate enough to tell him that their drinks are already paid for but thanks for the gesture.

If you're asking because your father will have the AI drink package - then he can't. He can only purchase drinks for himself.

Are you stating that a person who has a drink package cannot purchase and pay for a drink for someone who does not? If so, you're incorrect...

Lew

Op, could you clarify your question? Does dad have a drink package? If yes, all other drinks for table mates will be billed separately. We saw it happen recently. (A parent buying after dinner drinks for adult children every night.) This does open up greater chance he will be charged for his own drink too by mistake. So encourage him to check his account nightly. It would be a pretty messy fix at the end of the trip.

Edited by eandj

Are you stating that a person who has a drink package cannot purchase and pay for a drink for someone who does not? If so, you're incorrect...

Lew

I realized what I had said a little later but have been unable to get back to post. I just wanted him to realize that he could not "buy" someone else a drink on his AIBP.

If you want to buy the entire ship a drink, you can...but you will be charged for all of them. You hand them your card, and say, "Charge it to this card".

If you have an unlimited beverage package, you cannot use the package for anyone but you. If you wish to buy someone a drink, yours goes on the package, and theirs will be charged to you on your card.

If there is a card or sticker or something that gives you, say, 10 drinks for the price of 9, then you can give those drinks to whomever you like......

It's only the unlimited packages that you cannot share.

HOWEVER, NO ONE expects others to buy them a drink, simply because you're sitting together....so tell him that! You aren't expected to share a bottle of wine, either!

Edited by cb at sea

H]ow would they charge ... his account [if your father purchased drinks for others]?

They'd charge him in the exact same way as if he used his credit card to buy a round of drinks on land: He'd present his sailing/ID card which (takes the place of the credit card and) is linked to his personal account; and after they'd run it, he'd sign a chit for all drinks he purchased (for himself and/or others). It's really no more complicated than that.

They'd charge him in the exact same way as if he used his credit card to buy a round of drinks on land: He'd present his sailing/ID card which (takes the place of the credit card and) is linked to his personal account; and after they'd run it, he'd sign a chit for all drinks he purchased (for himself and/or others). It's really no more complicated than that.

Yes this is how many have come back lately and reported that they were charged for drinks when they had the package and shouldn't have.

HOWEVER, NO ONE expects others to buy them a drink, simply because you're sitting together....so tell him that! You aren't expected to share a bottle of wine, either!

It was a bit of an adjustment for me when I moved from the UK to the US (a long time ago). In the UK if you're with friends at a pub/bar it's customary to buy 'rounds' - buying drinks for all in the group who are ready, all taking it in turn. Here it's more customary to buy your own. I felt rude doing that for a long time.

Just a culture difference.

It was a bit of an adjustment for me when I moved from the UK to the US (a long time ago). In the UK if you're with friends at a pub/bar it's customary to buy 'rounds' - buying drinks for all in the group who are ready, all taking it in turn. Here it's more customary to buy your own.

Not in our circle of friends. We buy rounds.

Hi , haven't sailed since drinks package s came in and I'm sure this has been asked before . My father , who's very old school would in the past if sitting with someone would offer to buy a drink for all at table and consider this to be only good manners in doing so how would they charge this to his account.

Thanks for your help it may save him some embarrassing moments when he travels in Dec

Wish I was on your father's cruise in December he can buy me a drink anytime .:(

Not in our circle of friends. We buy rounds.

Wouldn't pretend to tell anyone what to do or what works for them, but I imagine this works best (or fairly) if everyone is drinking at the same pace and generally same price range of drinks. Hmm .. this might be a tiny hijack -- sorry.

When you have the All Inclusive Beverage Sticker, you can still BUY a drink for anyone you wish and ask that it be charged to your account. ;)

LuLu

THANK YOU! I thought that would be the case, but my former work colleague, who is also sailing on the same cruise, thought differently. I can now show him online the answer. I've already invited him to join me in the Window Suite for canapés on the Saturday and Sunday nights. Knowing him, he's quite likely to arrive with his drink and a little "something" for me!

64 weeks and 2 days to embarkation in Sydney!

Thanks for your help , and I'll have to explain before he/they go they'll be celebrating there diamond wedding anniversary, on the diamond princess , renewing there vows and all:) I would have loved to have been ther but that's another story once again thanks

Made a friend on a cruise last year, and I ended up paying for hardly any of my drinks when hanging out with him. The bartenders would just put it on his card with the package. If your dad has a cool bartender, and he tips well then it may happen for him as well.

Made a friend on a cruise last year, and I ended up paying for hardly any of my drinks when hanging out with him. The bartenders would just put it on his card with the package. If your dad has a cool bartender, and he tips well then it may happen for him as well.

In a similar vein, before I went on my cruise last month I'd purchased the Rick Steves Mediterranean Cruises book. He claims that if one were fortunate (or wise?) enough to befriend a ship employee who, say, happened to be enjoying an off-duty drink, that they are often inclined to "purchase" a drink for you too. It is considered a customer relations meeting of sorts, and costs them nothing personally. Being friendly gets you any number of tangible and intangible benefits. Just sayin'....

In a similar vein, before I went on my cruise last month I'd purchased the Rick Steves Mediterranean Cruises book. He claims that if one were fortunate (or wise?) enough to befriend a ship employee who, say, happened to be enjoying an off-duty drink, that they are often inclined to "purchase" a drink for you too. It is considered a customer relations meeting of sorts, and costs them nothing personally. Being friendly gets you any number of tangible and intangible benefits. Just sayin'....

I just have to bite my tongue and not comment on this post. :(

I just have to bite my tongue and not comment on this post. :(

I'm merely reporting what I read in this book. Don't pussy-foot around, come out and say what's on your mind or why you're offended, or annoyed or whatever your problem is instead of simply alluding to some heinous transgression, please.

I'm merely reporting what I read in this book. Don't pussy-foot around, come out and say what's on your mind or why you're offended, or annoyed or whatever your problem is instead of simply alluding to some heinous transgression, please.

Not offended by you - just by the general concept of trying to get something without paying for it because a person 'knows someone' who is willing to steal from the cruise line because he/she works for them.