Adding person to booking later - can I?

Avril

I am thinking of booking on the Gem for July 2016. I'm jousting wondering, if I book in a balcony cabin as a solo cruiser (I know you have to pay a single supplement, that's ok) and decide later to bring a friend later, can I add them to the booking or do I have to book both of us at the same time? If I can add someone later, how do I do that?

Thanks so much!! [emoji1]

It's better to book immediately the max number of passengers you think might go (you can use John/Jane Doe living in your address) and then before final payment cancel extra passengers if needed.

This is because if the ship gets really full, your life boat section might fill up with 3rd and up passengers from other cabins and you won't be able to add extra passenger(s) even though there are empty beds in the cabin.

Edited by Demonyte

Generally the answer is yes, especially since you are traveling solo. Don't worry about people saying that 3rd and 4th passengers will fill up a lifeboat. There are always a minimum of two spaces per cabin even if only one is booked in the cabin.

Thanks!! [emoji1] I'll just go ahead and book it then and hope the ship doesn't fill up (although it does make sense that they'd save at least 2 spaces/cabin in the lifeboats). How do I add the 2nd passenger later?

There are always a minimum of two spaces per cabin even if only one is booked in the cabin.

I'm curious, do you have any references to back up that claim? Because if that was true, they wouldn't be able to get more capacity for extra passengers by leaving some cabins completely empty like they reportedly do if there are too many 3rd and up passengers in that specific cabin block.

I find it hard to believe that they'd reserve a life boat space for non-existent passenger.

Edited by Demonyte

Thanks!! [emoji1] I'll just go ahead and book it then and hope the ship doesn't fill up (although it does make sense that they'd save at least 2 spaces/cabin in the lifeboats). How do I add the 2nd passenger later?

You might want to declare a second passenger (use fictitious name, and as mentioned above, your address/phone, etc.) in case there are perks that you want to protect, and in case the fare goes up.

We haven't encountered a problem with this, but our PCC (great guy who works for NCL) suggested that we always add "someone" for this reason.

It can't hurt.

You would want to cancel the extra person IF you go alone, at the end, so you aren't paying the port taxes/fees for another person.

Some of that is based upon headcount, so as a solo, you wouldn't pay every cent that two passengers would pay.

The basic fare, yes, unfortunately, that's double on NCL.

If you are really going solo, does the ship you are sailing have the studio cabins?

GeezerCouple

I am thinking of booking on the Gem for July 2016. I'm jousting wondering, if I book in a balcony cabin as a solo cruiser (I know you have to pay a single supplement, that's ok) and decide later to bring a friend later, can I add them to the booking or do I have to book both of us at the same time? If I can add someone later, how do I do that?

Thanks so much!! [emoji1]

That if you do decide to add someone later, then they pay the going rate which might be considerably more than the rate you have at the moment (unless you book for 2 at the moment). Also, please note, that even though you have room for 2 in your cabin (and you book as a solo), unlike the poster mentioned above, if the ship fills up they will might not let you add another person to your cabin....that is a chance you are going to have to take.

If you do a little research on the boards here you will very quickly come across stories from people who have wanted to add someone but the cruise line not allowing them.

Edited by Theodorable

Generally the answer is yes, especially since you are traveling solo. Don't worry about people saying that 3rd and 4th passengers will fill up a lifeboat. There are always a minimum of two spaces per cabin even if only one is booked in the cabin.

Not true at all. It has nothing to do with space per cabin. Everything to do with lifeboats.