Norwegian excursion for Playa Del Carmen

Leahmae1203

Norwegian has an excursion to take a ferry over to playa del carmen and shop. :) But, according to them, I have to stay there the total 7 hours as they give me an exact return time. I doubt i could shop for 7 hours, even if i went to the beach for 2 of that.

I contacted Norwegian who said i could come back early, but i would have to pay for the ferry back and a cab (for the 3 miles) back to the ship. This would be an estimated cost of $80 (43 excursion, 16 cab, and 21 ferry). If i just did this completely on my own (which i'm a little hesitant to do) it would be $74 (42 ferry and 32 cab).

What would be easier and cheaper to do? Or, does anyone have any ideas on what i can do to get to Playa Del Carmen?:D

Or, does anyone have any ideas on what i can do to get to Playa Del Carmen?:D

Take a taxi to the ferry pier, take the ferry over. Shop, do the opposite on return.

Probably identical to NCL's plan, except they will likely use a bus instead of a taxi.

I may be wrong, but $16 for a cab from the port to the pier sounds high. If NCL docks at Punta Langosta, you can walk to the ferry pier pretty easily.

Is there a reason you want to shop in PDC? What do they have that is worth the ferry ride just to go shopping? There is shopping on Cozumel too.

Edited by skittl1321

Take a taxi to the ferry pier, take the ferry over. Shop, do the opposite on return.

Probably identical to NCL's plan, except they will likely use a bus instead of a taxi.

I may be wrong, but $16 for a cab from the port to the pier sounds high. If NCL docks at Punta Langosta, you can walk to the ferry pier pretty easily.

Is there a reason you want to shop in PDC? What do they have that is worth the ferry ride just to go shopping? There is shopping on Cozumel too.

I really just want to snorkel and buy tequila. lol.:D i looked at the schedule for ship dockings for when im going on one of the cruise port insider things and it says we will dock at punta lagosta!!!

I really just want to snorkel and buy tequila. lol.:D i looked at the schedule for ship dockings for when im going on one of the cruise port insider things and it says we will dock at punta lagosta!!!

There is ZERO reason to go to Playa del Carmen for that! Stay on Cozumel. I'd recommend going to Money Bar for snorkeling (free use of the facilities, but it is polite to buy a drink or some food) then a cab into town to buy tequila.

You could also take a cab to Chankanaab, and there is tequila to buy (and taste) on site! Great snorkeling there, but the national park has a $20ish entry fee.

USD are accepted everywhere on Cozumel. Credit Cards are accepted most major places, but not in cabs. They are as safe to use as in the US (where number stealing also happens; I've never had it happen in mexico, but have had it happen here)- but I personally would not use a debit card just in case.

Almost everyone you run into is going to speak English unless you venture really far back into the neighborhoods.

Edited by skittl1321

I'm also concerned with a language barrier. my Spanish is barely passable. Also, will they take USD or do i have to do an exchange and/or use a credit card?

I wouldn't go to Playa del Carmen just to shop. You'll lose a lot of your day traveling over and back. You can find plenty of tequila and places to snorkel in Cozumel. In either place, the people in the shops will be able to speak enough English to communicate. Everyone took USD from us in both places.

Have fun whatever you decide to do.

You could also take a cab to Chankanaab, and there is tequila to buy (and taste) on site! Great snorkeling there, but the national park has a $20ish entry fee. .

is tequila comprable to cost in the states? I'm good with the cost of entry into the park, it just depends on cab fare. Also, entrance into the tequileria is extra do you know aprox costs for cab and entrance into tequila land? lol

A taxi from Punta Langosta to Chankanaab should cost about $11 (for up to 4). The snorkeling in Chankanaab is amazing!

I didn't do the tequila tasting, so maybe someone else can stop by to tell you the cost. I have not found tequila in Mexico to have much of a price difference from the US. Chankanaab will likely also only have the brand that sponsors their exhibit; so if you want more variety you might do better in town.

so, i did some googling and math and with the rentals ($15 pp), entrance to the park ($21 pp), entrance to tequila place ($10 pp), and cab fare ($22 round trip) the ships excursions was cheaper. $114 doing it on my own > $105 excursion. Thank you so much for your help!! :D

so, i did some googling and math and with the rentals ($15 pp), entrance to the park ($21 pp), entrance to tequila place ($10 pp), and cab fare ($22 round trip) the ships excursions was cheaper. $114 doing it on my own > $105 excursion. Thank you so much for your help!! :D

I know these are marginal differences but be aware there is a coupon for $2pp off you can print out in advance for independent visitors. Also taxi fare is for up to 4 ppl in a taxi which is easy to share return trip and you could ask in line from the pier if anyone wanted to share. If you go on your own you can come and go on your own schedule.basically it is which you are more comfortable with.

We were not charged to enter the little tequila village when we were there last year. There are a couple of small little buildings and a little patio area. It's cute. We tasted a few of the tequilas but did not buy any. We've tasted better tequilas in some of the shops in town, but I couldn't tell you the names of the shops or the tequilas, and unfortunately the bottles are long gone.

I know these are marginal differences but be aware there is a coupon for $2pp off you can print out in advance for independent visitors. Also taxi fare is for up to 4 ppl in a taxi which is easy to share return trip and you could ask in line from the pier if anyone wanted to share. If you go on your own you can come and go on your own schedule.basically it is which you are more comfortable with.

i did see the coupon. I'm not real comfortable talking to people, so asking if they want to share may not work. lol. Also, the excursion says they have transportation anytime we want to come back. but, we dont dock until 11, teh excursion starts at noon, the park closes at 4 and we leave cozumel at 7.

We were not charged to enter the little tequila village when we were there last year. There are a couple of small little buildings and a little patio area. It's cute. We tasted a few of the tequilas but did not buy any. We've tasted better tequilas in some of the shops in town, but I couldn't tell you the names of the shops or the tequilas, and unfortunately the bottles are long gone.

is there safe and decent shopping in walking distance of the port?

is there safe and decent shopping in walking distance of the port?

Yes. There is an outdoor mall across the street from Punta Langosta and a 10-15 minute walk to the center of San Miguel- with shopping the entire way.

Cozumel in general is very safe.