St. Petersburg on Sunday & Monday

sglenc

We're getting ready to book a cruise for August or September 2006 on the Star Princess. I understand the Hermitage is closed on Monday. Should we try to avoid a cruise that gets us there on Sunday & Monday?

Thanks

Steve

We were on such a cruise in July of this year. We used Red October and visited the Hermitage on Sunday. Our tablemates used the ship's excursion and they were able to visit the Hermitage on Monday. They said that the excursion groups pretty much had the place to themselves.

I am guessing here, but my sense is that the Hermitage was closed to the general public on Monday, but open to tour operators. Again, I am guessing that is what happened but what would happen on your cruise may be entirely different. Hope this does help some, though.

We were there on Sunday-Monday in May. We toured with Red October. We did Catherine's Palace and Hermitage on Sunday, and viisted the grounds of Peterhof on Monday. Things worked out pretty well. Give me your email address if you want our full itinerary.

I agree with the other posters. We were there on a Sunday and Monday on Star Princess and I was concerned about closings -- particularly as it was also the end of the month which meant additional closings.

Turned out that we had no problems on our private tour (Den Rus), and neither did those on the ship's tours. I wouldn't worry about it.

We were in Petersburg on Sunday/Monday on ROTTERDAM in August. No problems at all - in fact I recommend it. We reluctantly went with the ship's excursions (didn't want to take a private tour all on our own, and couldn't find anyone to share) and visited the Hermitage on Monday... The place was pretty much empty, just ship tour groups.

Normally I would say that a private tour is definitely the way to go, but being able to walk through the almost-empty Hermitage without having to wade through crowds of other tourists is almost worth all the various disadvantages of taking a ship's tour.

Of course the ideal situation would be having a private tour in the Hermitage on Monday, but as I understand it, that isn't possible.

Either way... If you take a private tour, simply see the Hermitage on Sunday. If you take a ship's tour, definitely do it on Monday - for those taking ship's tours, being in port on Monday is actually an advantage.

We also did RO with a Sunday/Monday schedule. They will take you to the Hermitage on Sunday (along with a slew of other sites) and to Catherine's Palace on Monday so as not to miss the Hermitage. RO is a great company and know what the tourists will want to see...

If there's something specific, though, that isn't on their normal itinerary, let Olga know and they'll work it in for you...they did for us without hesitation!

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard that if you want to do St Petersburg on your own i.e not with a ship's tour, that you need to apply for a visa.

Hoes anyone have any info on this?

Has anyone visited St Petersburg on their own without being part of a tour?

We would like to go to the opera or ballet on the night we docked in port.

Has anyone done this? Is it easy to travel from the port to the centre?

We will be on the Constellation in May 2006.

Yes...if you do not take a cruise tour or a tour with an organized group approved by the Russian government, you are required to get an independent visa. Getting around St. Petersburg independently is not easy, especially if you don't speak/read Russian. Cabs/taxis/shuttles are not permitted to pick passengers up at the dock, so you would have to walk to the border of the port, which is a couple of miles, before you'd be able to get a taxi.

As for the opera or ballet, both the ship and the private organizations (such as Denrus or Red October) can make arrangements to provide such experiences.

Yes...if you do not take a cruise tour or a tour with an organized group approved by the Russian government, you are required to get an independent visa. Getting around St. Petersburg independently is not easy, especially if you don't speak/read Russian. Cabs/taxis/shuttles are not permitted to pick passengers up at the dock, so you would have to walk to the border of the port, which is a couple of miles, before you'd be able to get a taxi.

You dont need to walk. Take the "rusty" Russian port bus, which is there for the port workers, but you can use as well. Just follow or ask the crew!! This takes you to the port gates and from there plenty of taxis, $10 one way to the Hermitage! Don't pay more!! The same on return.

However if you take a Baltic cruise on smaller ship (Silver Seas, Radisson, etc) you will dock on the Neva almost in the centre of St Petersburg, just a short (10-15min) walk to the Hermitage! Now that's the ideal way to go!

You dont need to walk. Take the "rusty" Russian port bus, which is there for the port workers, but you can use as well.

How interesting!!! The only buses we saw in operation were the cruise excursion buses and the RO/Denrus tour buses...that was it!!!

Archived