Explorer of the Seas Cruise Compass, Meuns & Photos 9 August 2015

Don't be daft. Every detail gladly received.

I notice they mention possible unavailability of escargot (worldwide shortage) on the menu - did you, or anyone else, notice difficulty getting them?

Menu has been saying that for past 3 summers - never had a problem with being unavailable, my teenage son has them almost every evening when he comes to MDR.

Cabin

IMG_6106_zpswzyhehrp.jpg

IMG_6107_zpsfjw0zqpm.jpg

IMG_6489_zpsrx4tshb6.jpg

Interior 'M' category stateroom

I don't like the location of the bed, it should really be facing the wall rather than the door. This setup made the cabin less space and it is really difficult to put the suitcases underneath the bed.

IMG_6491_zpsh5goypq3.jpg

You will get the 2 in 1 shower gel/shampoo

IMG_6666_zps3me3rdhu.jpg

Here is the hairdryer that you will get in your cabin

IMG_6166_zpsrqhbpnnk.jpg

IMG_6167_zpsmyvjmivt.jpg

The cabin TV is a Samsung with two HDMI sockets and one USB.

IMG_6165_zpsrlzxwppj.jpg

The remote comes with very limited functions. I don't know whether plugging any external sources into the HDMI or USB will work but you will at least need a Samsung remote to change channel to the external source.

IMG_6137_zpsu4ecslc5.jpg

IMG_6138_zpsxnvpsztp.jpg

IMG_6139_zpskjrrkju8.jpg

The TV is interactive, you can check your account balance, check messages, order room service, book shore excursions and many more. Above are the TV channels available during the cruise.

IMG_6377_zpsap6jbk6l.jpg

Channel 17 is always useful when in an inside stateroom.

Time for some ship photos starting from the bottom deck up but first let's have a look at the ship from the outside.

IMG_6104_zpshl6dmjf2.jpg

Explorer of the Seas docked at Southampton

IMG_6308_zps4efgewah.jpg

Explorer of the Seas docked at Cartagena

IMG_3557_zpsblv8ntxw.jpg

Explorer of the Seas docked at Palma de Mallorca

IMG_6793_zpse9he8aih.jpg

Explorer of the Seas docked at Gibraltar

IMG_6166_zpsrqhbpnnk.jpg

IMG_6167_zpsmyvjmivt.jpg

The cabin TV is a Samsung with two HDMI sockets and one USB.

IMG_6165_zpsrlzxwppj.jpg

The remote comes with very limited functions. I don't know whether plugging any external sources into the HDMI or USB will work but you will at least need a Samsung remote to change channel to the external source.

What a fantastic review! We'll be on a Transpacific cruise on the Explorer next year and I'm really enjoying all your photos.

Did you notice if there was an input/source button on the TV itself? We'd like to use ChromeCast, but would rather not have to pack a remote.

Thanks very much for the review. My family and I are going on our first cruise on Explorer of the Seas out of Australia at the end of the year. I was compiling a lot of questions to ask but I think you have answered them all. The menu's were great, I have picky eaters (I hope they will be adventurous while away) and I did see things that they would eat every night. And your picture of the Compass helped to see what activities we could do. Now its just trying to keep away from them so I don't over analyse/plan things and leave it until we are on the ship and work it out day by day.

Did you notice if there was an input/source button on the TV itself? We'd like to use ChromeCast, but would rather not have to pack a remote.

Taking a closer look at the RCI remote photo, there may already be an input/source button on it. The one below the rewind button? Also the photo of the TV may already be in the HDMI source channel.

Sorry the buttons on the TV is something I have missed.

Thanks very much for the review. My family and I are going on our first cruise on Explorer of the Seas out of Australia at the end of the year. I was compiling a lot of questions to ask but I think you have answered them all. The menu's were great, I have picky eaters (I hope they will be adventurous while away) and I did see things that they would eat every night. And your picture of the Compass helped to see what activities we could do. Now its just trying to keep away from them so I don't over analyse/plan things and leave it until we are on the ship and work it out day by day.

Glad a lot of your questions have been answered. I'm sure there is always something for the picky eaters to eat. I don't know whether they will adjust the menus to suit the Australian market. Enjoy your first cruise.

Thanks so much for the really detailed review - 36 days and counting :)

I thought Chromecast when I saw the TV ports, but then realised it would have to be connected to wifi, and I'm not paying for wifi on the offchance I might want to play with my chromecast :)

I might put some music/movies on a small thumb drive and see how that copes - if I'm sailing before you I'll let you know.

I thought Chromecast when I saw the TV ports, but then realised it would have to be connected to wifi, and I'm not paying for wifi on the offchance I might want to play with my chromecast :)

I might put some music/movies on a small thumb drive and see how that copes - if I'm sailing before you I'll let you know.

That's a good point on wifi with Chromecast. Yes memory stick would be the easiest option to try.