Explorer of the Seas Cruise Compass, Meuns & Photos 9 August 2015

We had MTD and after the first day we decided to book every night for the entire cruise at the same table. We chose to go at 6 pm and on the one night we didn't we informed them the night before. We had no problem.

But, if you wanted 7:30 on, the que was horrendous. Really, it would have been better for these people to have chooses one of the two standard times. That way you are guaranteed a table without wait.

I think the issue is the first sittings. They can come in anywhere between 5:30-7:00 and it takes 1 1/2 hour for our meals. That ties up tables for someon wanting to come in at 7:30.

I don't think MTD works. My suggestion is change your booking if you have it for upcoming cruises.

I notice they mention possible unavailability of escargot (worldwide shortage) on the menu - did you, or anyone else, notice difficulty getting them?

The escargot is available everyday on the menu, no wonder there is a worldwide shortage. There was no problem ordering the escargot, had it on different days on my table.

Thanks for the indepth review and taking the time and effort to post. We have 25 days until we board and found the info really useful, even though we last sailed on her 10 years ago, things no doubt have changed, most for the better!. Thank again.

Thanks for the indepth review and taking the time and effort to post. We have 25 days until we board and found the info really useful, even though we last sailed on her 10 years ago, things no doubt have changed, most for the better!. Thank again.

Wait till you see the interior photos, no doubt a lot has changed.

I will like to mention about crowds on the ship. This was quite a hot topic on this forum and many questions were asked especially soon after the dry dock with the added cabins.

Let's start off with the roaming servers on the pool deck and theatre. There are noticeably less servers on the pool deck compare to my previous cruises but they are about. The servers in the theatre are also present and generally not a problem getting hold of one.

At the bars and cafe promenade, at the end of the day you are on a ship with 3,000 passengers. There will be a wait at busy times to get serve but there was never a time that I needed to wait so long that I have an issue with.

Seats in Royal Promenade, there are seats for the cafe promenade and the pub. During daytime and including sea days, finding a seat is not a major issue. But at night after dinner, most seats and tables would have been taken especially at the pub. However this is no different to any busy land pubs on a Friday night. I did notice they did put extra tables out throughout the cruise. You just have to wait and see how lucky you are for a table. Problem is some people sat there all night and not move.

Deck chairs on pool deck, now this is a major problem on a sunny day. If you are not out there early then you will struggle to find a chair. You might be lucky with an odd one scattered around though. Even the space above deck 12 new cabins are full. Good time finding chairs maybe late afternoon or come back early after your excursion.

More than 1,000 children were on this cruise and you can tell by the pool. They just took over the space and the hot tubs. At one time I noticed there was not a single adult in any of the 2 main pools. At least they made 1 hot tub for adults only.

Theatre seatings, maybe it's the amount of children onboard that the theatre is less busy than usual. On the off season, I usually get in the theatre 30mins before to get a good seat but on this cruise walking in 10mins before and there were still plenty of seats available.

Windjammer, now when it gets busy and it does get very busy. You might have to do one circuit to find a table but again you will find a table within 10mins. When it gets very busy, they do stop people going in and a line is formed outside to ease the crowd. Finally don't forget to 'washy washy' otherwise it's 'no foodie no foodie'.

Notice that a lot of the cocktails are above $12 we have the select drinks package does that mean for every cocktail purchased there is an additional charge we are sailing on Independence of the seas

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't believe the Select package includes alcoholic cocktails. However the non-alcoholic cocktails will be well below $12.

You will need the Premium package for alcoholic cocktails. As the ship is based in UK, the prices are inclusive of gratuity. The $12 limit on drinks are not inclusive of gratuity so in effect the limit is raised to $14 inclusive of grats. When Independence becomes UK based, I can see they will operate the same as Explorer.

When using a drinks package, you will have no extras to pay as long as the drinks are included in your package. The final price you pay for the package will include gratuity.

Hi, thanks for the cruise compass information! I was on the same cruise as you and have a copy of each day in a folder to remember it! Do you remember Pete Matthews and singer Amy? They were the best acts on the ship. I also loved the man standing outside the Windjammer who made people happy with his 'Washey Washey Time!'. I hope you had a great cruise, as I did. :D

Thanks for all the great info. It makes my forthcoming October cruise seem more real.

I notice the Cruise Compass mentioned the Wash and Fold laundry special, but didn't give a price. Can you remember how much it cost?

Muriel

...I notice the Cruise Compass mentioned the Wash and Fold laundry special, but didn't give a price. Can you remember how much it cost?

Muriel

When we were on Explorer this past December, the cost was $30.

Hi, thanks for the cruise compass information! I was on the same cruise as you and have a copy of each day in a folder to remember it! Do you remember Pete Matthews and singer Amy? They were the best acts on the ship. I also loved the man standing outside the Windjammer who made people happy with his 'Washey Washey Time!'. I hope you had a great cruise, as I did. :D

I didn't actually go and see Pete Matthews. He boarded the ship at Livorno with his son as he was on the same shuttle bus as me back to the ship and he had his suitcase with him. Then saw him again in the Windjammer having lunch with Tim the CD.

How can we forget washy washy time lol.

I notice the Cruise Compass mentioned the Wash and Fold laundry special, but didn't give a price. Can you remember how much it cost?

I wondered the same question when I was on the ship reading the cruise compass. They mentioned the laundry special but yet not given a price.

I actually have the price list for the normal laundry which I will post up when I get to that part.

Poster does that flat screen tv still allow you to put a USB hard drive or lap top into it to watch your own films?

I will put up some photos later in the thread of the TV, the connections and remote. If it does work you will probably need a Samsung remote to change the channel on the TV to read USB or HDMI.