? about lifeboat drill

skyblue

I have a question about the life boat drill. This will be our third cruise and I know the standard procedure for the drill, but this time we will be in a cabin on deck 2. My husband has problems with stairs and I am concerned that he will be unable to climb all the flights of stairs to arrive at whatever deck we are assigned to. Is there a procedure that he can follow such as get his life jacket and go up early using the elevator or do we need to contact the purser's desk to inquire as to what he should do? I will be taking the grandchildren and following the standard procedure. I just want to be sure that my husband does not have to possibly climb the stairs for 7 or 8 decks.

SkyBlue - It is very important that you advise the ship's crew of your husband's situation when you board. They need to know of any conditions which might impact a passenger's ability to reach a lifeboat in a timely manner in the event of a real emergency. They will instruct you regarding both the drill and what might be necessary in the event of a real emergency. As you know the crew is trained to deal with passengers who might require assistance and they will happy to accomodate your situation. Please speak with the Customer Relations desk at the earliest possible time once you board. You, & they, will feel better for it.

Bill

Thanks for your answers. It isn't as if he is disabled, just has very weak legs (from a minor stroke several years ago) and has breathing problems (COPD). Normal activities are not a problem as long as he paces himself. I am just concerned that several flights of stairs would be almost impossible for him to handle.

The last two cruises we were on we were on decks higher up and he didn't have to climb but a few flights.

Thanks for your answers. It isn't as if he is disabled, just has very weak legs (from a minor stroke several years ago) and has breathing problems (COPD). Normal activities are not a problem as long as he paces himself. I am just concerned that several flights of stairs would be almost impossible for him to handle.

The last two cruises we were on we were on decks higher up and he didn't have to climb but a few flights.

If he really can't walk up the stairs and has to pace him self, and has breathing problems that fits as a disability. My wife has some medical issues and her life (and Mine) got a lot easyer when we finally got a disabillity parking pass for the car and took advantage of other programs that are out there.

Bob

As others advised, take your time and go to the vicinity of your muster station early. No one says you have to wait for the ships horn to blow.

True... I just returned from the majesty and during the muster drill (almost?) everybody of station 3 was already there when the horn was blown. So you should have no problems getting to the right deck using the elevators.

Still I would consult the crew. Just in case.. Say there is an problem and they are evacuating the ship wouldn't he than have a problem also? I would talk to the crew just in case. Even if you decide not to act it still can be usefull for them to know.

Skyblue,

Call the RCI Special Needs Dept. @ 800-722-5472. Ask for Bruce Spitzer ext. 33593. He was most helpful with the arrangements needed for my diabetic friend with glaucoma on our cruise next month. She also has weak legs and is not steady. Long walks or stairs "do her in" too.

Hope you, your husband and the grandchildren have a wonderful cruise!

Happy trails,

Kat 50.gif

They do not turn off the elevators during a drill and they will not stop a handicapped person from using them to get to the proper deck. I have even heard a stateroom attendent suggest to someone that they use the elevator as the person seemed that they would have trouble making the stairs.

It will probably be hot before and during the muster drill. He could get his jacket and ride the elevator to the same floor as your muster station and wait in an airconditioned public area until after muster is called. Then he would just need to move to your station which would be on the same floor he was waiting on. He would be much more comfortable that way.

On some ships the muster station is in one of the airconditioned lounges. As others have said, go there before the drill begins and he should have no problems. However, it is very important to let the crew know of his problem so that, in the event of a real emergency, they will know to provide him with the assistance he needs.

Archived