Accessible Helsingor (Elsinore)

raindropsalways

As most of you know, only the grounds at Kronborg are accessible, not the castle. On the plus side, there is always a chance a troop will be performing a few acts in the Courtyard. However, there is a fairly new maritime museum that is fully accessible. M/S Maritime Museum of Denmark that is just outside the grounds of Kronoborg Castle. http://mfs.dk/en/

Chunky – I hope you find this. I checked Celebrity tours and the museum does not appear to be included. I do not know if you are crossing on the ferry on your own. My cousin lives closer to Copenhagen, however he has been to the museum twice and really likes it. He is also handicap and requires the use of a mobility scooter.

Betty

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad to read this. I'm set to go on a Hamlet cruise with Celebrity next April, but I am paralyzed in the feet and do not know what is accessible in Scandinavia and what isn't. I am pretty sure I shouldn't be expecting Europe to be ADA compliant, so I'm not springing for the $300+ shore excursions that Celebrity has put together. Your post about the castle has helped.

Thanks for that Betty. It' still early days for us to be planning that stuff but it's useful to know there are some options.

The museum looks like an interesting place. I wish the website had a bit more information about what they have there rather than so many flashy pictures of the building and the food. Here's a review I found http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2013/oct/27/danish-maritime-museum-ingels-review - very concentrated on the architecture, not the contents.

Up to now the thought was maybe just to stay on the Swedish side and find something to do. I used to work in Sweden and spoke the lingo (now very, very rusty), but I might give it a go again. The challenge will be that in the south the accent is very thick, the English translation of the way the northerners describe it is "porridge in mouth". :(

But we might see if there is any easy way to get down to Lund or even to Malmo. The trick to that will be to persuade my DW to drive a hire car on the "wrong" side of the road. It would be a doddle if they hadn't switched over in the 1960s. :rolleyes:

In my research, I found a bit more info that may help. To get between Helsingor and Helsingborg, you need to take the pedestrian ferry. It leaves Helsingor every hour on the half hour and it leaves Helsingborg every hour on the hour. http://sundbusserne.se/fartplan-priser.html

In Helsingor, there are a couple churches that have some significant history; The Church of St. Mary and Saint Olaf's Church (the cathedral church of Helsingor). I believe both are accessible and one does offer tours and both are close to the ferry. You can find them on Google maps, just increase the size of the map when viewing.

In Helsingborg, we are going up to Kärnan (The Core). There is an elevator that goes up the side of the mountain for a fee; one requires a bus pass to use it. The tourist office did not know if our scooters would fit on the lift. We decided to scoot up on our own taking the road on the north side. That access is only 700 meters from the ferry. We will also go by Saint Maria Church when we are on the lower streets in front.

For going to Malmo, I'd suggest taking the train. There appears to be one leaving quite often and you would have a choice between a slow one (approximately an hour ride) or a faster one that takes about 40 minutes. I am not familiar with Sweden rail, here is link for schedule and information: http://www.sj.se/start/startpage/index.form?l=en Danish rail has options or provides info on accessibility. Did not notice any options on the Swedish site and did not look very hard.

We are going to be there on a Monday, thus the museum and castle will not be open. Ruth has not been to Kronborg, so we will go just to view it. I still have hopes that she will get to see a performing troop, but it is very unlikely.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways