Tour cost in $ v £

Jo and Rob

Could someone tell me how much the St Kitts scenic railway trip is in dollars please? The trip would cost us £226 for the family and I'm wondering whether it would be cheaper to wait and book on board? We are 3 adults (13 is adult!) and one child.

Of course my supplementary question is whether the tour is likely to sell out?

many thanks

The only RR excursion I see offered on St. Kitts is the Caribbean Scenic Rail & Sail - KT39 and the cost is $149.75US for adults and $85.75US for a child.

We've been to Basseterre many times and there will be lots of official transportation drivers with small vans offering inexpensive tours of that beautiful island.

The problem I see with this tour is that the train, which runs on the old sugar plantation train tracks, is that it only goes through the northern part of the island and the southern side has many of the best sites to visit like Brimstone Hill with it's rebuilt fortress and terrific view from it's heights of the neighbouring islands, as shown in the shot below and the Romney Manor with its Caribelle batik cloth making operation. Also look at the port of call forum for St. Kitts especially the thread linked to below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2197747

5743860-Cannon_Brimstone_Hill_Fort-_St-_Kitts-0.jpg

There is also another one with just the railway right at the bottom of the excursion list. The one with the sail is too pricey for us.

Caribbean Scenic Railway Tour

Basseterre, St. Kitts

Duration: 3 hours

All aboard the West Indies' last railway for a scenic sightseeing tour unique in the Caribbean. On a line built a century ago to carry cane from plantations to sugar factories, ride in two-deck railcars enjoying views of lush fields, mountains, historic estates and countryside along with engaging commentary, choral entertainment and complimentary drinks. Transfer to a bus to complete the 30-mile circle around St. Kitts on a route that highlights key sights and landmarks. KT15

from*64.84GBP Adult 32.34GBP Child

Edited by Jo and Rob

Are you set on the railway portion of the tour? We did a great bus tour with Grey's Island Excursions in 2012, and as a family of five it was very good value for money.:D

No not necessarily. Just researching. I've emailed Paradise Tours which has some great reviews on Trip advisor but will certainly consider Grey's Island Excursion too if Paradise is unavailable. Thank you for the recommendation. :)

Sorry that tour isn't showing on the RC general shore excursion information for Basseterre I can access on the North American RCI site. It may be that since I am just looking at the general shore excursion information not all tours for a specific cruise with a port stop in a location like Basseterre are showing and currently I don't have a cruise booked that goes into that port. I can see more tour offerings when I look at the shore excursions offerings for the ports on the cruises I have currently booked when checking this in My Cruises account on RCI website.

I see you have posted this on your Anthem roll call so someone there may be able to provide the USD cost for that specific tour.

In the past when we booked our RCI cruises in $CAD we found that the shore excursions cost were better if we pre-cruise bought in $CAD than waited to buy onboard in USD. RCI appears to provide a better currency conversion rate to CAD than the current bank rate and what our credit card gives when I've done this but we don't typically don't do ship's tours.

You have the USD cost I provided of the other RR tour to give you an idea what the onboard cost of that specific tour might be as it should have the same conversion rate.

Also you have the option of cancelling any pre-bought tour prior to the tour cancellation deadline which is typically 24 to 48 hours prior.

Edited by robtulipe

Are you set on the railway portion of the tour? We did a great bus tour with Grey's Island Excursions in 2012, and as a family of five it was very good value for money.:D

Thank you so much for your recommendation. I have ditched the idea of the train in preference of Grey's Island Excursions who have already emailed me back with details. :)

Thank you robtulipe for trying to find the $ price for the railway.