Grand, Grand, Granduer cruise ending 09/25/05

RJJS

I was on this cruise. Had a wonderful time. Missed three of the ports due to Rita but such is life. I prefer sea days anyway. 90% of the people I spoke to on board the ship had a great time also. Seas were not very rough considering Rita was 200 miles away. We docked in Cozumel for 32/hrs. We had about 80 cruise critic members sailing on this cruise. Met many people and made many new friends. Captain did a great job keeping the ship, crew and passengers out of Rita's path. We received a $350.00 credit (Junior suite) due to the cruise being 8 days rather than 9. Inside cabins and Ocean Views received $250.00 credit per cabin.

I was on this cruise. Had a wonderful time. Missed three of the ports due to Rita but such is life. I prefer sea days anyway. 90% of the people I spoke to on board the ship had a great time also. Seas were not very rough considering Rita was 200 miles away. We docked in Cozumel for 32/hrs. We had about 80 cruise critic members sailing on this cruise. Met many people and made many new friends. Captain did a great job keeping the ship, crew and passengers out of Rita's path. We received a $350.00 credit (Junior suite) due to the cruise being 8 days rather than 9. Inside cabins and Ocean Views received $250.00 credit per cabin.

erm does this mean the salt truck has to come out of hiding again.....as in take the OP statement with a large pinch of salt, maybe??

Rita didn't bother us, considering the Captain headed directly towards her at top speed, and then away from her at top speed like a hero. The only storm that effected us was internally aboard the granduer. Bon, Bon Voyage on any future granduer cruises I hope you enjoyably cruise.

My parents (1st time cruisers), DW (2nd cruise), and I (3rd cruise) just got off the Grandeur yesterday. My parents couldn't have had a better time. DW's biggest disappointment was not being able to wear jeans every night. ;) We were a little disappointed over missing 3 ports, but we certainly still had a great time. As kewlguy mentioned, for the most part everybody kept their kewl. (pun intended) My estimation isn't quite as good as his though. I'd say 75% of the passengers kept a positive attitude, while 25% were complainers. Keep in mind, I bet at least 5% of cruisers would still complain about a perfect cruise. I think the captain and crew did a superb job in keeping us updated on what was happening. I heard one lady complain that the captain was insulting her intelligence by saying we were headed for Key West. She said that everybody but the captain has been watching CNN and knew we weren't going to Key West. I told her that everybody INCLUDING the captain knows we probably won't get there, but at least he's still trying. As far as I'm concerned, we knew it would be hurricane season when we signed up. The staff and crew did everything they could to still make the cruise great and I certainly got my money's worth. As kewlguy also mentioned, we had a fantastic group of CC'ers, many of whom we talked to and hung out with just about every day.

I fully expected to come back and see a lot of complaints. This cruise, and life is general is what you make of it. And nobody should let Ophelia, Rita, or RCCL ruin their fun.

I'm not sure what the few unhappy people on board expected the Captain to do. We couldn't stop in Key West because the port was closed until Friday when we were in Port Canaveral. Had the Captain stopped in the Bahamas/Cococay, Rita would have caught us for sure. He did a great job.

KEWLGUY, Do you have any pictures of a CAT JS ??? We are on the 10-28-05 Sailing and thinking of upgrading to a JS from a F. Thank You !!!

There have been at least two other threads looking for the reactions of the passengers on this cruise. On threads related to other cruises where the itinerary was changed or the length of the cruise reduced, there has been more displeasure expressed on these boards by the affected passengers. I guess people are wondering why there has been no gripping and complaining about the missed ports and no one blaming RCCL for this (at least so far) on the Grandeur cruise.

We were also on this cruise and had a great time on the ship and in the two ports we where we were able to dock. The captain and the crew handled the whole thing extremely well and kept us informed. Yes, I heard some joking among some passengers about the captain must be the only one who didn't know we were not going to Key West on Tuesday-but what I heard was done tongue-in-cheek and with humor, not criticism or complaining. I heard a very small # of passengers complaining the RCCL could have done something to "fix" this-like go somewhere else. Unfortunately, the time needed to get from Cozemel to Port Canaveral precluded us going just about anywhere but Key West. The port was closed-stuff happens. The vast majority of the passengers I spoke with or overheard were understanding, maybe not thrilled about missing three ports, but they understood why it happened.

I guess the folks who want to hear a lot of complaining and criticism about RCCL are just going to be disappointed that the passengers on this particular cruise can't accommodate them!

I too was on this cruise, it was our first. I was never so happy with any vacation. This was an absolutly awesome eight days and I can't wait to do it again.

Unfortunately I returned home quite ill :( , I am thinking from the changes in climate. I plan to write a full review of my cruise very soon.

I agree that the captain kept us well informed and wonder too how much money I saved by missing the three ports. My trip was all about the ship so I really would not have cared if all days were at sea. :D

Archived