Cab prices/best place to catch a cab

anonmom

How does cab pricing work in Belize? Are there meters or posted prices? If neither, what is a fair price for a 30-mile drive (Belize City to Belize Zoo) in an air-conditioned vehicle with seat belts?

Also, where is the best place to catch a reliable, air-conditioned cab with seat belts at a reasonable price? There are 3 of us and we don't mind walking several blocks from the cruise terminal, but don't want to walk more than half a mile or so, due to time constraints.

And will the zoo be able to call us a cab for our return? I don't want the pressure/added cost of having the first driver wait for us at the zoo.

Thanks!

Edited by anonmom

I have never seen a meter in a Belize cab, so I do not think that is how they operate. You are also asking for something different than just a regular "cab." Once you go on the highway, which you have to take to get to the zoo, it is a different rate than going anywhere in Belize City.

I do not know the answer as to whether the zoo will call a cab for you or not. I am sure that they will, but I am not sure that a cab will come and get you. I would never do this myself. I would engage a driver or write one of the tour operators and ask them for a price to take you to the zoo for an hour or hour and a half (you won't need any longer than this), then lunch at Cheers (close and really good food) and then return you to the TA.

If you get taken by a tour operator then they can also guide you through the zoo. Most know all the animals and how to get them to come closer to the viewing areas for photo ops. Here are some pictures taken there last week.

12002124_10153660719704874_8494033239421460418_n.jpg.c7f59061a67a3817d70d057aa8342ba3.jpg

12004147_10153660719824874_9062210747869343651_n.jpg.5da0add96674e6fc5aa2b8a564bf84c0.jpg

12011123_10153660720289874_7345216679776490587_n.jpg.a777dcbe319aa92a068a1f893313bd92.jpg

Everyone says the bus is super easy to take to the zoo, but my concern is getting back in time. Maybe if I take a cab there to save time on the front end, then plan on taking the bus back, so I don't have to worry about whether a taxi will pick me up at the zoo.

Here's a post from someone who did that a couple of years ago: http://www.sanpedroscoop.com/2013/03/bus-to-belize-zoo-belmopan-belize-city.html

The taxi only cost $20 USD then, does anyone have a more recent rate?

Anonmon,

Scoop has lived in Belize for at least 8 years and is very well traveled all over the country with buses. Everyone tells me that it is easy and I have seen people do it, but those are usually very well traveled youngish backpackers not your average tourist. I wouldn't do it. You wait by the side of the highway for a bus. There is no shade or bench.

A neighbor just told me that she thinks it is approximately $140 US$ R/T to the zoo.

Janice