Walkway view to Balcony?

lbow2006

We have a 6 night cruise coming up. Myself, my husband, our two year old son and my mom are going. We currently have two rooms at the front of the ship considered interior, but with a window and walkway view. Would you consider paying $292.00 extra (total for both rooms to upgrade, not just one) to move to a balcony if that was only balcony guarantee?

I realize we may end up with a balcony somewhere noisy so I'm thinking no. If we could pick for that price I'd probably do it, but was just curious what others thought. A balcony would be nice to be able to sit out on if our son is napping inside. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving him in the walkway room and going out in front of it since it's not connected.

Edited by lbow2006

If only $292 total for two rooms to upgrade, I'd go ahead and do it.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I mean my son still sleeps with a sound machine and I plan on bringing one with us so if we do get a noisy room we'll have that on anyway.

We are traveling with our 3 year old and were only considering balcony rooms for the very reason you mentioned. We wanted a place to be able to sit outside (or anywhere that we wouldn't disturb her) while she is napping or sleeping at night. The last thing we wanted to do on vacation was sit quietly in our room and whisper at 9-10 pm.

But, we aren't traveling with anyone else, so that may have changed things. We also go lucky enough to book a cruise while the balcony was actually listed as less expensive than an interior.

I'd probably pay $200 more for a balcony over an interior per room for this very reason. If you get connecting rooms in the right spot, I believe you can open the divider on the balcony and have a much bigger outdoor space to use.

If it were me, I would but that's because I spend a lot of time on my balcony. If you are one of those people who just wants to have one to say I tried it than maybe not. Especially since you may lose your OBC.

But honestly I love my balcony and I spend a lot of time taking pictures from it, watching us set sail, come into port, watching sunsets/sunrises. I can't imagine not having one.

Plus you have to ask yourself if it's in the budget or if you could use that money on something else. It's up to you. But I would do it.

We are traveling with our 3 year old and were only considering balcony rooms for the very reason you mentioned. We wanted a place to be able to sit outside (or anywhere that we wouldn't disturb her) while she is napping or sleeping at night. The last thing we wanted to do on vacation was sit quietly in our room and whisper at 9-10 pm.

But, we aren't traveling with anyone else, so that may have changed things. We also go lucky enough to book a cruise while the balcony was actually listed as less expensive than an interior.

I'd probably pay $200 more for a balcony over an interior per room for this very reason. If you get connecting rooms in the right spot, I believe you can open the divider on the balcony and have a much bigger outdoor space to use.

Right, see that's what I'm wondering is if they're more likely to give us a set of connecting rooms since we have two rooms booked. There are some available so that would be nice. It's tought to decide. Ultimately we're only out of pocket $292, but that extra $100 OBC would be nice to have.

If it were me, I would but that's because I spend a lot of time on my balcony. If you are one of those people who just wants to have one to say I tried it than maybe not. Especially since you may lose your OBC.

But honestly I love my balcony and I spend a lot of time taking pictures from it, watching us set sail, come into port, watching sunsets/sunrises. I can't imagine not having one.

Plus you have to ask yourself if it's in the budget or if you could use that money on something else. It's up to you. But I would do it.

No we had a balcony on our last cruise so it's not just to say we've done it. We were spoiled though as it was one of the "bowling alley" balconies on Legend. It was HUGE! If we got rooms where we could open the divider that would be nice. We definitely spent a lot of time on our balcony last time. It is in our budget, but we could also use that money somewhere else and not spend as much total during the trip if we don't do it.

For $292 that's a good deal.

We LOVE to spend time on the balcony as well.

With the guarantee balconies, is there a guarantee the two will be close to each other? Is that important to you?

I would check with Carnival first.

Enjoy!!!!

Right, see that's what I'm wondering is if they're more likely to give us a set of connecting rooms since we have two rooms booked. There are some available so that would be nice. It's tought to decide. Ultimately we're only out of pocket $292, but that extra $100 OBC would be nice to have.

Oh that's right, it's a guarantee balcony. I'm not sure how they handle that with booking more than one cabin. I have not found that the non guarantee cabins are that much more expensive. But then I find the extra cost worth it to pick my own cabins and get exactly what I want.

While the fee involved is not an unfair price, the problem for me would you could get assigned rooms at opposite ends of the ship and different decks.

If you would be comfortable with a baby monitor in with the wee one and being next door with the receiver, I would stay in my current stateroom. I know it sounds awful to "leave a two year old alone". But in reality you would be in the next room. Everyone has to do what they are comfortable but along as I had a video monitor I would be OK.

The other way to look at it is with a balcony you absolutely would have a place to sit during nap and early to bed. Since it is not likely, but possible, that these two guarantee staterooms will be close, you could always pick the quiter of the two.

Hmm I had always heard that Carnival ended up putting linked reservations together even with a guarantee. Has anyone had a guarantee with linked reservations that weren't put together?

Our first cruise in 2002 were GTY OV. Our two rooms were on the same floor but about 10 rooms apart. 2nd was GTY Balcony. There was 1 room in between our 2 rooms. That was a long time ago. I don't remember how early we booked.

Hmm I think given the possibility of the rooms not being together that we will just stick with our current location. I thought that they always assigned connected bookings together, but since they don't I'm not sure it's worth the chance for us. Thanks everyone for your help!