Transfers from Hobby to Galveston

liasophia

You might want to consider renting a car if you plan on spending the night in Galveston before your cruise. We rented one from Enterprise last December for about $45(can't remember exactly)and kept it overnight. They now allow you to turn the car in at Galveston at no additional cost. When we returned it, they took us back to the hotel. Sure was cheaper that purchasing 3 transfers from Princess.

• 2 weeks later...

I called Enterprise today to see about charges to rent a car for one day to drive from IAH airport to Galveston...was told they charge the daily rate PLUS a $40 return fee at the Galveston location and the car must be returned by 1 PM.

Unfortunately that rather defeats the purpose of renting a car to save money on the transfer.

SCSP,

Did you call the 800 number or directly to IAH ?

We flew into Hobby and I called Enterprise at the airport in Houston. I specifically asked about costs and leaving the car in Galveston. I had seen several posts about good prices and I found that to be true. Maybe it's different if you fly into IAH, I don't know.

SCSP,

Did you call the 800 number or directly to IAH ?

We flew into Hobby and I called Enterprise at the airport in Houston. I specifically asked about costs and leaving the car in Galveston. I had seen several posts about good prices and I found that to be true. Maybe it's different if you fly into IAH, I don't know.

I called the 800 number. I'm going to try calling the IAH Enterprise office directly this time...maybe they waive it or something.

Thanks for the tip!

Stephanie

My friend and I were on a cruise that departed Galveston on 9/1/05. It was one of the ones that was moved from New Orleans after Katrina.

At that time, there was no drop-off (one way) charge from Hobby to Galveston. We hoped to rent a car at Hobby and drop it in Galveston on the way out, and reverse that on the way back. Unfortunately, they were showing no vehicles available from Galveston on our way back.

So... we rented the car for the duration of the trip and paid the parking in Galveston. It would have been more expensive than using the cruise transfers at $50 pp, but on the return we had a couple we met on board that chipped in. So the whole thing ended up costing us less than the $50 each. We carried our own luggage off the ship, and it was maybe 30 minutes total between leaving the ship and pulling out of the parking lot with the car. VERY convenient.

I suspect that with so many people now coming through Houston trying to get to former New Orleans cruises that the rental car companies have had to change their policies.

Have a fun time on your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

are there cabs available at iah to take you directly to the port in galveston? our flight gets in before 9:00 a.m. the shuttles that i have seen don't pick up until 10:30- 11:30. at $33 pp (ccl). to get a car from a limo company $90-$140.

does anybody know about getting back after the cruise. are there cabs available at the pier? how much would it cost for 2 back for a 1:15 pm flight? or can you get on a shuttle if it has not been prearranged?

any info would be a great help. cruising in 25 days.

thanks

I spoke with the Enterprise representatives at Galveston and Hobby airport. I was told there is an additional $40 one-way drop-off fee when renting at Hobby and dropping off at Galveston. However, there's no additional fee going the other direction. And apparently Enterprise has a booth right inside the cruise terminal in Galveston. But...with the addition of the drop-off fee, renting a car, even when it's split between two couples, is no longer much of a bargain. When I ran the numbers, my DH and I would only save about $6. The other couple, since they're coming into Bush, would save slightly more. And then you have to buy gas. So...looks like the Galveston Limo shuttle is a doable alternative.

I do have the name and phone number of a taxi driver in Houston, who told my husband earlier this week that it might be cheaper to take a cab since cabs have flat rates to Galveston regardless of how many people are inside.

I'll call him tomorrow to see exactly what that rate is.

Just thought I should add that I've now spoken with the cab driver in Houston. The rate from Hobby to Galveston is $84.00. If he were to pickup our traveling companions at IAH (Bush) and then pick us up at Hobby, it would add $64.00 to the above. So...it's not the most economical way to get from Houston to Galveston, but it's undoubtedly convenient. Guess we're back to the shuttle.

I guess they must have changed things since last December(2004). We rented a car from Hobby, kept it overnight, and dropped it off at the Enterprise office in Galveston. They took us in a van, back to the hotel (we were staying at the Harbour House). I can't remember the exact amount but it was between $30-$40 and since there was three of us, it was a great deal.

I can remember asking them about the drop-off fee and they told me that they considered Galveston part of the Houston area. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

We are booked to leave on Dream in Dec . Where does this ship depart from as I see Galvestone mentioned and Houston Harbour ?

I am trying to get the most cost effective way from Bush airport to dept and back again?

Houston ship channel is 15 miles from Loop, due East of Houston, about 25 mile from Airport Cab would be a l;ot higher than the NCL shuttle

• 3 weeks later...

I looked at Hertz from IAH to Galveston and the cost is $95 (bu you cant drop at the pier location, also looked at Aus to Galveston and it was right at $73 for that one but then again no drop at pier. Everytime we have talked to anyone at Enterprise they say we cannot rent a one way to there from both of those locations. They also said Hobby was not on a one way also. Guess we will stick to Hertz or the trasfers fromthe ship.

Archived