What is or was your Itinerary

judyf

I'm looking for suggestions of what you did or have planned for Bermuda? Please included if you would do it again and the reason why or why not. Looking at do it yourself things and ship excursions.

We leave next Sunday 10/18. 5 people 2 couples in their mid-50's early 60's, and my 77 year old mother.

Things we would like to do and would love tips on.

Go to a sea glass beach for just a few pieces-How and where?

Go to at least one Pink sand beach? Which one has chairs to rent for my mom?

Any other suggestions with not too much walking? We plan to get the bus pass.

Thanks in advance for any tips and suggestions.

As far as going to sea glass beach to pick up a few pieces, you can no longer bring sea glass back onto the ship. The sea glass beach that is close to the Dockyard, now has a sign on it forbidding taking any sea glass. To get down to the beach, you have to navigate a very poor set of steps and, if your mother has any mobility issues, she probably will not be able to manage the steps. There is an sea glass beach outside of St. George. That one you can walk along the water's edge and pick up small pieces but again they will not allow you to bring them back onto the ship.

The pink sand beach that is really nice is Horseshoe. If you ride the bus to the beach, there is a long walk down hill to get to the beach. There are shuttles the leave the dockyard and you pay for a round trip that take you right down to the beach. Horseshoe rents chairs and umbrellas at the little concession stand at the entrance to the beach. If you use the bus and walk down to the beach, there is a guy there who will take you back up the hill to the bus stop for $2 a person, a really good investment. I have used it several times when I have been there.

The bus/ferry transportation pass is good if you plan on doing a lot of exploring every day. If you are only going one place and back to the ship, tokens are the better way to go. Since I am not sure how much walking your mother can do, it is hard to give you many suggestions. The town of St. George in nice to walk around. There is the unfinished church, St. Peter's Church, Village Square and historical buildings, quaint shops, the noon time portrayal of the town wench being put in the bay for her fooling around with the town official. But, again, these activities take quite of a bit of walking to get to the different sites.

Perhaps a Blue Taxi Private Tour would be something that would work out better than the transportation passes. That would get you around the island to see many things and not involve a lot of walking for your mother. If you have any more questions, please ask.

there is a private shuttle bus that goes right to Horseshoe Beach. The public bus will be jammed with cruisers. I would take the private shuttle. I think it's $7 each way. With 3 persons, you might also just take a taxi.

The following morning, I would take the ferry to St. George. Get your token the day prior so you are ready to go. It's not too far from the ship--but tokens are sold at a different place, I think. If you skip the unfinished church, the other sights are all not too far. St. Peters is a 400 yr old church. There are a couple of small musuems, the wench dunking @ 12:30 (it's great) and city hall are all nearby. There are tons of little shops and places to eat. St. G is very interesting and quaint. Then you can take the ferry back. If your Mom is ready for a rest on the ship, you could then hop a bus back to the beach for the afternoon, or go next door to Snorkel beach. We loved St. G and loved HB. I liked Elbow a bit more with ZERO crowds--but no chair rentals (unless you pay $75 at Elbow Beach hotel) and it's a LONG walk from the bus to the beach, so stick with HB, which also has good bathrooms and a concession stand for food/drinks.

Edited by elaine5

Great ideas and tips.

A few questions, if you don't mind.

Do you have directions and can get me to a site that has them to the sea glass beach in St. George? Mom gets around fairly good, she has COPD and needs to rest but does good.

How much are the tokens? I will figure out where we plan to go and which is best for us.

Do the chairs sell out at HS beach? Anyone know the cost? That would be perfect.

The blue taxi tours, do you book them through the ship, ahead of time or in Bermuda?

Maybe a day at St. George's would be nice, any other things we could do on the way there and back?

Thinking of staying at the Dockyard or last day in Bermuda, any suggestions what not to miss there?

Thanks for all the great tips!!!!

I think they have plenty of chairs at HS beach. They were about $11 umbrella and maybe $8-10ish for a chair. They follow you out to the beach and set them up.

I would take the ferry to/from St G. which is 40 minutes each way. St G and Dockyard are 22 miles by land and you have to transfer @ Hamilton, so it takes a solid 1.5 hrs by bus. Just take the ferry and enjoy StG for the day. Beween the couple of small museums, shops, church, and lunch somewhere, you can easily spend a solid 5 hrs in St. G. If you add a visit to the fort and the beach next to it (St. CAtherines), you are at a full day. I don't know if the bus will be very reliable from St. G. to St.C. I would just take a cab, It's not very far--probably under $20. St. G is very compact. It's easy via the ferry without any more walking than if you took a taxi tour.

The tokens are around $5 for one way.

You can do the Royal Dockyard, shopping, and snorkel park (swim/sun/ drink/snorkel) all which are right at the ship.

Edited by elaine5

One shopping activity in the dockyard I’ll recommend is the Bermuda Rum Cake Company located in the Dockyard Glassworks. My wife and I didn’t plan on stopping there, and only found it when walking around. They have free samples to try in at least a dozen flavors. All were exceptionally moist and tasty, and I’m not one who typically likes cake. We bought a couple to bring back to family as souvenirs and stocking stuffers. Now, I only wish I brought more back home!

Enjoy traditional Bermudian cocktails from any pub you come across: Rum Swizzle and Dark 'N' Stormy. The Frog & Onion Pub is at the Dockyard and is a great place to relax after a day of adventure before reboarding your ship.