Renting a car and Parking at Port Canaveral?

HappyPig

I have been slow to pull the trigger on booking the Disney motor coach round trip transport from the WDW Contemporary Resort for our December cruise. I was researching different options that would get us to the ship a bit earlier and with less hassle, but I am not sure I have found it! It is just DH and myself, so booking a towncar (e.g. Happy Limo) seemed kinda pricey. We were actually thinking about renting a care at Disney Car Care Center and parking at the terminal. It is a 4 night cruise, so it would be a 5 day parking fee + the rental car. Does anybody have any experience with this? We took the Disney bus last time; while it wasn't bad it just was a long time circulating among WDW resorts and we didn't get there until 1 or 2pm. We are concierge level on this trip so I think we can get on early. TIA!

I have been slow to pull the trigger on booking the Disney motor coach round trip transport from the WDW Contemporary Resort for our December cruise. I was researching different options that would get us to the ship a bit earlier and with less hassle, but I am not sure I have found it! It is just DH and myself, so booking a towncar (e.g. Happy Limo) seemed kinda pricey. We were actually thinking about renting a care at Disney Car Care Center and parking at the terminal. It is a 4 night cruise, so it would be a 5 day parking fee + the rental car. Does anybody have any experience with this? We took the Disney bus last time; while it wasn't bad it just was a long time circulating among WDW resorts and we didn't get there until 1 or 2pm. We are concierge level on this trip so I think we can get on early. TIA!

For me, personally, for only 2 people, I'd go with the DCL transfers. It's definitely cheaper.

There's no way of knowing for sure how early the bus will pick you up until the night before the cruise. The pickup window is anytime between 10:45-12:30 generally. Most busses may stop at up to 3 resorts. No way of knowing whether your resort is stop #1 or #3 until you are on the bus.

One note - Concierge doesn't get you on the the ship "early" it just lets you be first to board (before the masses). You won't be boarding until boarding starts (usually around 11:15-11:30).

If you want to drive in order to get there earlier than the bus, rent a car at one of the outlets near WDW (Budget is at the Doubletree, Hertz is at the Hilton, someone is at the Swan/Dolphin, etc) and drop it off at their location near the cruise terminal. It seems really senseless to pay for the car rental and parking while on a cruise. One way rental(s) will cost less. Shuttle from the car return place to the terminal is free.

As above, getting on "early" doesn't happen. You get on first, then platinum, then the masses in order of boarding number. Guess that means you are on 3 minutes "early."

On the way back, if on a participating airline it is well worthwhile to do the DCL bus transportation with on board airline check in. If on a non-participating airline, less of a great deal. Still, with 2 of you the cost of a rental car one way is only slightly less than the DCL bus transportation. Car + gas + tolls almost = the $70 bus charge.

• 2 weeks later...

I am renting from the airport and dropping it off at the port location. Has anyone had experience with returning a rental at the port location. It is a Dollar rental. Plan is to drop everyone off at the port then go return the van???? get the shuttle back to the port... Any suggestion or information would be appreciated...

We rent for a day and just drive to port and drop off all the time. About a wash costwise with two people. Definitely cheaper with more people. Drop everyone off with bags at the port. Give the person checking in drivers passport. Then drive to car rental and jump on shuttle back. Much faster to get on shuttle without bags. They can usually fit one person without bags whereas families with bags usually have to wait through multiple shuttle trips depending on how busy it is. Once driver gets back to port just walk in with drivers license as Id. You Csn meet up with rest of family in terminal. Or if they already want to get on just have them leave your key at the supervisor desk. Pick it up and get on ship. We have done it lots of time with no trouble at all.