Storage on Scooters

cruzin' peach

This may seem like an odd question, but how much storage space is there on a double passenger scooter? I assume there is something on the back of the bike (a compartment w/ lid? a basket?) Is there any other storage besides that and does any of it lock? I'm trying to figure out how to travel to the beaches with towels, snorkel gear, etc. on a scooter. Our snorkel gear fits in plastic storage bags, roughly the shape of the fins. Can I sling those on my arm while we drive? We would love to go beach-hopping by scooter one day if the logistics don't prevent us from doing so. Thanks for any info!

Scooters have an open basket in the back and a small lockable compartment under the seat that is big enough for a helmet. On many scooters there is enough space to put a small bag of goods between your feet as you're driving - a common way people transport groceries.

Word of caution: never put valuables like cash, wallets, passports, etc. in the basket. There are the occasional reports of thieves that drive by on a faster scooter and grab whatever bag is in the basket. Keep valuables on your person or in the seat compartment when riding. Always take valuables with you when you park the scooter, never leave them in the seat compartment, as thieves can jimmy those locks in an instant.

Thanks for the advice on the locked compartment. I guess I thought your things would be safe in there. Makes it kind of hard to travel with a camera and hit the beaches at the same time. We have a waterproof pouch to put our cash, cards, keys, etc. in while we snorkel, but I thought we could leave the camera in the scooter. What's a girl to do? :confused:

We rented a scooter last week and there was a good sized lockable compartment on the back of the scooter. It was large enough to fit our beach bag or 2 helmets. However, I would not recomment renting a scooter...we had an accident. We were lucky, we walked away with minor scrapes and bruises. I heard others on our ship were not quite so lucky.

Makes it kind of hard to travel with a camera and hit the beaches at the same time.

Take the camera with you to the beach - you should be taking pictures of the beach anyway! :)

If everyone in your party wants to go into the water just see if a nearby beachgoer can keep an eye on your stuff and hide the camera under a towel or clothes. Someone stealing items from a beach in daytime is pretty rare but it has been known to happen once or twice in the summer.

Awww -- brings back memories hearing about accidents and making friends with Bermudian residents. I can't tell you the number of people my parents made long time friends with as a result of spills on mopeds. They would make return visits to Bermuda and always ended up enjoying an evening at my parents' home.

Sorry to hear about your accident on the scooter. My fiancee and I also rented one and had no problems. This was my first scooter riding experience and we both loved it. Just be careful, but it is fun to freely roam the island and not worry about taxi bills because your bill has already been paid before you ride. It also feels good to feel the breeze when the weather is warm. The storage space was sufficient and I also recommend bringing a towel even if you won't be stopping at a beach. It can be helpful for many things like rain showers.

• 1 month later...

My DH is a long time motorcycle rider so we rented a scooter last year. If you have never ridden a scooter or motorcycle I don't think I would suggest that you rent one. The roads are very twisty with blind curves. Also folks drive much faster than the posted limits and that can be daunting. Also they drive on the wrong side of the road. :)

We rented from Eve's Cycles and were not impressed. The bike's speedometer didn't work and through I asked DH to go back and exchange it he didn't. (I didn't want him to rent the thing in the first place so he was being stubborn.)

He says that next time he will try rented from Oleander because it seemed like they had scooters in much better conditions.

When it rains you will see many scooter riders stopping at the bus shelters until the rain stops.

While I was not happy we rented the scooter it was a good way to get around and we had no problems.

Still I will try and convince him to not rent one again.

YMMV.

Caroline

Last time I was in Bermuda I rented a scooter and had no problem but I remember being very careful. I also remember people driving in buses, ect that were going way over 20 mph and that is one of the problems because you feel you need to speed up. I am heading back to Bermuda on Sunday and was thinking of renting again but it appears the rental place at the Dock yard is closed for the season so I might have to take the Ferry to Hamilton. After going through all that I might just forget the rental this time although I really wanted to go to St. George and it sounds like that is a long bus ride from Hamilton. One thing for sure, I would NEVER recommend riding the scooters in the rain there. The roads get very slick once the rain begins so if I get there and it is raining or a good chance of rain I probably won't rent. A friend of mine who rides a motorcycle had an accident at night on rain slick roads on a scooter in Bermuda. Guess I will play it by hear this time.

After going through all that I might just forget the rental this time although I really wanted to go to St. George and it sounds like that is a long bus ride from Hamilton.

It is also a long scooter ride from Hamilton as well. :)

If you haven't been to St. Georges I do recommend seeing it as it is a nice place and has the oldest buildings in Bermuda, some dating to the 17th century. Many tourists prefer it to Hamilton. If you were to ask cruisers which of Bermuda's ports are their favourite it would be a close call between Hamilton and St. Georges.

Bus ride from Hamilton will likely be around 40 minutes, more if traffic is bad.

Archived