Ocean Sky or Sonesta hotel? - please help! many thanks

EscaladeHybrid

Hello guys, I would really appreciate your input. I will be staying in FLL for 2 days before my cruise. It’s a family of 5, 2 adults, 2 seniors and 1 baby. For us the most important thing is to be on the nicest strand of the beach while in FLL and have some budget options for eating/take out. I already booked Ocean Sky Hotel but I was reading negative reviews and got a bit scared. Now I found Sonesta Fort Lauderdale, seems like good reviews. Please help me decide which hotel is better in terms of its location? I know that both are on the beach but am not familiar, maybe one beach location is better than the other? Or one area is better than the other? And need to feed my family of 5 on the budget, which hotel’s location is better for that. I am hoping to rebook it for Sonesta if you tell me that it’s better and I would like to do it today so please chime in to help me decide!

Hello guys, I would really appreciate your input. I will be staying in FLL for 2 days before my cruise. It’s a family of 5, 2 adults, 2 seniors and 1 baby. For us the most important thing is to be on the nicest strand of the beach while in FLL and have some budget options for eating/take out. I already booked Ocean Sky Hotel but I was reading negative reviews and got a bit scared. Now I found Sonesta Fort Lauderdale, seems like good reviews. Please help me decide which hotel is better in terms of its location? I know that both are on the beach but am not familiar, maybe one beach location is better than the other? Or one area is better than the other? And need to feed my family of 5 on the budget, which hotel’s location is better for that. I am hoping to rebook it for Sonesta if you tell me that it’s better and I would like to do it today so please chime in to help me decide!

I really like the Sonesta. You can walk over the bridge to the mall and eat at Seasons 52, PF Changs, and there are some other inexpensive options across the street like Tijuana Flats.

Across the street from the mall is a Publix who has the best fried chicken and subs on the planet.

Primanti Bros are by the hotel.

There is a strip mall a little further up on the same side of the mall that has Monster Subs which is excellent.

Unfortunately that is about as cheap as you'll get. Fort Lauderdale isn't really budget.

Thank you so much. I think these all are great suggestions. I checked them all and the prices are very good. I will be there only for 2 days so I think I have my basis totally covered.

Is it a good beach area near that hotel? Or perhaps we need to go a bit further. I would like to be on widest strand with some palms...

The beach by Sonesta is closer to what you are looking for but it's across the street from the beach. I don't like the beach by the Ocean Sky, as it's in the middle of the Galt Ocean Mile concrete jungle, and you have to walk down steps to get to it...it's not like you walk out to it. With that said, the pool at Sonesta doesn't overlook the beach, so neither is perfect. Sonesta is about 3 miles closer to the port.

The beach by Sonesta is closer to what you are looking for but it's across the street from the beach. I don't like the beach by the Ocean Sky, as it's in the middle of the Galt Ocean Mile concrete jungle, and you have to walk down steps to get to it...it's not like you walk out to it. With that said, the pool at Sonesta doesn't overlook the beach, so neither is perfect. Sonesta is about 3 miles closer to the port.

Sharon, did you hear they are refurbishing our beaches this year? Supposedly starting in Pompano.

Guys, I have researched and it looks like that for the family of 5 the best dining choices would be primati bros and Publix supermarket. Any other recommendation that are walkable distance or perhaps that can deliver take-out? Maybe some warm dishes, soups, things like that. My family practically doesn't eat sandwiches...

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I am back and happy to report about my experience at Sonesta. This is fantastic hotel!!! While there are better hotels out there, the location of this hotel cannot be beat!!! It has those primate bros for quick meal plus Publix is within walking distance where you can buy fried chicken, Champaign for the beach, anything you want really. I really enjoyed my stay and there is nothing bad that I can say about this hotel!!! Highly recommend!!!

Hi guys, I am back and happy to report about my experience at Sonesta. This is fantastic hotel!!! While there are better hotels out there, the location of this hotel cannot be beat!!! It has those primate bros for quick meal plus Publix is within walking distance where you can buy fried chicken, Champaign for the beach, anything you want really. I really enjoyed my stay and there is nothing bad that I can say about this hotel!!! Highly recommend!!!

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for coming back and telling us about your stay!