ID besides birth certificate?

kg4pit

I'm going on my 5th cruise in a couple of weeks. In the past, the only ID that I needed was my birth certificate and drivers license. Has anyone heard of having to take a copy of your marriage license? I guess because you weren't born married, they have to relate your maiden name to your married name on your drivers license. I checked with RCCL to see if it had to be an original like the birth certificate and they said no, they just have to see a copy. Has anyone else done this?

Kay

You will have people say, don't bother; you will have others say, bring it. The bottom line is this: While they don't usually ask for the marriage certificate (not the license, that only shows your intent to marry, not that you actually got married--it's a very important difference), they (RCI, port security, immigration/customs) CAN ask for it, and if you don't have it that one time that they do insist on you proving your name change, they can deny you boarding. This happens rarely, in my experience, but I would never, ever travel without a copy of my marriage certificate (unless I'm using my passport--that's all you need). It's one piece of paper. Why risk it that one time you're going to get a "stickler" for the rules (which do say that they can insist on seeing proof of marriage for a name change)?

beachchick

My wife and I are travelling to Europe on RCCL in a few weeks. Her passport still has her maiden name but all of her IDs have her married name. If we bring our marriage certificate, we never had a problem. After reading your posts, any reason to think otherwise?

Thanks

Hi. I'm just returned Saturday from RCCL/NOS (Western). We didn't have time prior to our trip to get passports so I went prepared w/birth certificate, marriage certificate. During the pre-trip boarding process, I pulled out all my documents (set sail print out, etc). The guy laughed at me when I showed him my marriage certificate & told me he believed me that I was married! He never looked at it - only looked at photo ID/set sail and barely looked at my birth certificate.

Well, back from our trip-going thru customs (prior to getting your luggage), the customs official ASKED for my marriage certificate and birth certificate. I had read here on the boards so many times "I've never been asked...RCCL only says birth certificate". Well, RCCL might not care about your marital status but US Customs sure did. For those thinking about going without, I would say you're taking a big risk.

A lot depends on the RCI agent checking you in at the pier and the customs agent on the disembarkation. It seems some just glance at it and others put you through the ringer. A perfect example would be our cruise prior to us getting passports. We used our BC and ID as we had for all our other cruises, well the customs agent told us that my DH's BC was not certified, only a copy of a hospital record with a fancy looking seal on it. He told us we were lucky that we were not denied boarding. We were shocked! We applied for passports that next week.

We have used our passports for the last 3 cruises, it is so much quicker on both embarkation and disembarkation.

Passports will super exceed all forms of ID. They will be mandatory so I would suggest to apply for them now. FYI on applying, you have to send your BC with the application so make sure you have enough time to get it back or have a second BC. Good luck!

Archived