White Bay to Sydney Intl Airport

Losnab

We are planning to fly out of Sydney the same day our cruise returns to Sydney. United Airlines, without notice, changed our return flight from 2:30 PM to 11:30 AM.

(Our ship is scheduled to arrive back in White Bay at 7:00 AM)

Does anybody have experience getting to SYD Intl. from White Bay?

Do you think we can make this without turning into crazy people?

Do you think it would be better to attempt to book the transfer via the ship? Taxi? Uber?

The other option is to move it back to 2:30 but instead of 24 hours of travel time that we originally planned - it would be 39 hours of travel time :(

For an international flight, that's really tight!

You want to be checking in at 9 a.m. for international. It's about a 40 min ride e.g. taxi from White Bay to International, so that's 8:20 a.m.

That does give you time to get off, and get there in time. But as you can see, there's not a lot of allowance if there are delays somewhere. e.g. shortage of taxis at the terminal adds 20 min, then an acccident on the M5 adds 1/2 hour delays around the airport (as happened this morning).

Personally, it's tighter than I'd accept, but if you aren't disadvantaged e.g. they'd put you on the next plane at no cost if you miss this, then it's better than the extra travel. But if you'd incur substantial extra cost if you miss this flight, I'd change plans now and plan for a leisurely trip (instead of a stressful arrival into Sydney).

For an international flight, that's really tight!

You want to be checking in at 9 a.m. for international. It's about a 40 min ride e.g. taxi from White Bay to International, so that's 8:20 a.m.

That does give you time to get off, and get there in time. But as you can see, there's not a lot of allowance if there are delays somewhere. e.g. shortage of taxis at the terminal adds 20 min, then an acccident on the M5 adds 1/2 hour delays around the airport (as happened this morning).

Personally, it's tighter than I'd accept, but if you aren't disadvantaged e.g. they'd put you on the next plane at no cost if you miss this, then it's better than the extra travel. But if you'd incur substantial extra cost if you miss this flight, I'd change plans now and plan for a leisurely trip (instead of a stressful arrival into Sydney).

Thanks Big M - your point is well taken!

It is easy for an unknowing person in customer service to say there should not be a problem getting my flight time.

I wrote a letter to the airline as we would be willing to take the chance, but I think it's fair to ask for assurance that if indeed we miss the flight we will not incur any additional expenses and they will make sure we get on the next flight.