Shopping & Snorkeling on our own

pharmerk77

My husband and I would like to do some shopping, lunch, and snorkeling/beach on our own in St. Thomas. We would need a beach that rents snorkeling gear. Can you do this as a walk/Taxi outing? Cruise ship is in port for 10 hours. Would a tour be better?

Thanks!

Edited by pharmerk77
not finished

Yes, you can do it on your own. As far as shopping, it all depends on what you're hoping to buy. There are jewelry and souvenir stores right at both docks. If you want art or something different, you have to shop in town probably in Palm Passage.

The popular snorkeling beaches, Coki, Sapphire, Secret Harbor, all rent snorkeling equipment.

Taxi to town is approximately $5 per person each way. Taxi to snorkeling beaches is approximately $10-12 per person each way. Similar tours are approximately $30 per person.

All the beaches serve food for lunch so best to eat at the beach.

Thanks Ms411! That helps a lot. We're on the Escape Dec. 5th and will probably do a ship excursion in Tortola and some kind of excursion in Nassau.:) Do you recommend one beach over another? Looking for less rocky beach for DH who broke his leg this summer...

Edited by pharmerk77
asking about beaches

I like Secret Harbor, though Sapphire is most recommended on this forum. There's less shade, but I like having a full service restaurant on property. Best to reserve chairs in advance from Aqua Action the on site dive shop.