Is there something to do at the port in Old San Juan?

Erin Dreamer

I have some mobility issues so most of the ship's excursions are not good choices for me. If there are shops, craft markets, or restaurants right at the port, we sometimes like to enjoy a little shopping or getting a snack at a restaurant. Can anyone tell me if there are shops or restaurants right at the port? I understand Celebrity docks in the Old San Juan port. Thanks so much!

I have some mobility issues so most of the ship's excursions are not good choices for me. If there are shops, craft markets, or restaurants right at the port, we sometimes like to enjoy a little shopping or getting a snack at a restaurant. Can anyone tell me if there are shops or restaurants right at the port? I understand Celebrity docks in the Old San Juan port. Thanks so much!

There are a few local restaurants right at the pier but not the best:-)

As far as shopping there are street vendors selling there merchandise.

Did you look at any of the tours that mostly drive you around to see some of San Juan?

You may want to try the free hop on / hop off trolley so you can see Old San Juan without having to navigate the cobblestone streets. There are three routes - one is open air, and the other two are enclosed and air conditioned.

There are some great tips about the trolleys here: http://sanjuanpuertorico.com/trolley-old-san-juan/

Thank you, ljandiern. I will check out that web page.

Thank you, pdc2013. I have checked out the excursions where you are driven around. The reviews are mixed with some people saying their driver just drove them around for a very short while and never pointed out any of the historic sites - just mentioned local places like stores or gas stations. It sounds as if it could be hit or miss. We took one of those excursions on another island where the driver pointed out the local hardware store, grocery store etc.

Thank you CinneMon. I will check out that web page for the hop on hop off trolleys and look at the three routes.

I REALLY appreciate the help the three of you have offered. Jan

Thank you, ljandiern. I will check out that web page.

Thank you, pdc2013. I have checked out the excursions where you are driven around. The reviews are mixed with some people saying their driver just drove them around for a very short while and never pointed out any of the historic sites - just mentioned local places like stores or gas stations. It sounds as if it could be hit or miss. We took one of those excursions on another island where the driver pointed out the local hardware store, grocery store etc.

Thank you CinneMon. I will check out that web page for the hop on hop off trolleys and look at the three routes.

I REALLY appreciate the help the three of you have offered. Jan

That is a shame about grocery store tours:-)

I was toured and had a great experience. Was driven through all of Old San Juan with 15 minute stops for pictures in about 5-6 different locations then guided in a fort. After talking to a friend i did see most of the sights. I did the rest on foot walking through all the streets, which i loved doing and found some nice spots for a coffee. If you change your mind let me know:-)

Old San Juan is pretty compact and is easily explored on foot. Also Castillo de San Cristóbal (The Fort) is half a mile away. You can perfectly do this on your own while exploring the wonderful cobble stones of San Juan.

I would have to disagree about just walking around the old city if a person has issues with mobility. I am slightly affected by arthritis in my knee and spine. I do find it challenging here (I am just off Jewel of the Seas, and spent yesterday and today in Old San Juan). The streets are very narrow. Some curbs are on the high side and the cobblestones are very difficult to walk upon. Also, there are several hills to navigate.

For a scenic but mostly flat walk, I would suggest turning left off your pier when you reach the main street in front of your ship. You will have to cross a cobblestone street once, coming and returning. There usually are handicap ramps onto the sidewalk but they aren't always well-marked. The street will turn right after a couple blocks, and go up a daunting hill, but you want to keep to the left. The Paseo de la Princesa is wide, flat, and has many shaded benches so you can rest. You'll get a taste of the beautiful local architecture and statuary. There also might be some food and craft vendors there.

Once you reach the fountain called "Raices" (Roots, there's a lovely plaque explaining the meaning of the statuary in the fountain), you can either turn around or continue around the corner for a seaside walk. There are still benches, but no shade so it can be very hot there. I hope this helps.

That is a shame about grocery store tours:-)

I was toured and had a great experience. Was driven through all of Old San Juan with 15 minute stops for pictures in about 5-6 different locations then guided in a fort. After talking to a friend i did see most of the sights. I did the rest on foot walking through all the streets, which i loved doing and found some nice spots for a coffee. If you change your mind let me know:-)

It appears that some people on the cruise ship had a good tour, while others didn't. I guess because we had a similar experience, I am hesitant about signing up for a ship's tour around the old city. I also read reviews of the cultural music show, which, apparently, turned out to be a couple of local musicians. Maybe I should rethink and take a chance on the tour of the old city. My husband and I came early a couple of years ago for a cruise out of San Juan. We hired a taxi to take us to the Old Town, but that was the weekend of a big festival, and as we got near to the old city, the roads were blocked off. People had to walk very long distances so we had the taxi just bring us back. With just the two of us, hiring a private tour company for the tour would be pricey. The advantage, of course, is that you can read reviews and choose a good company. With the ship's excursion (which for the two of us would likely be quite a bit less expensive than hiring a private driver), you don't get to read reviews on Trip Advisor. The reviews I did read on the cruise ship web site showed a 50-50 chance of getting a good tour.

I would have to disagree about just walking around the old city if a person has issues with mobility. I am slightly affected by arthritis in my knee and spine. I do find it challenging here (I am just off Jewel of the Seas, and spent yesterday and today in Old San Juan). The streets are very narrow. Some curbs are on the high side and the cobblestones are very difficult to walk upon. Also, there are several hills to navigate.

Kikkicat, I appreciate your comments. As soon as I saw the word "cobblestones," I knew the walking would not be good for me. Arthritis in my issue too. We will either just stay on the ship, I guess, or bite the bullet and hope that we are one of the folks who get a good tour rather than a terrible one. It seems, according to comments by people who have taken the ship's excursion we have a 50-50 chance of getting a good tour. Thanks! Jan

I'm sorry if I caused some confusion about the degree of difficulty regarding the cobblestones. I made an automatic comparison with the cobblestones where I'm from. And these San Juan cobbles are very easy compared to the ones we have.

So, let me rephrase: Old San Juan is easily explored on foot if you have no mobility issues.

It appears that some people on the cruise ship had a good tour, while others didn't. I guess because we had a similar experience, I am hesitant about signing up for a ship's tour around the old city. I also read reviews of the cultural music show, which, apparently, turned out to be a couple of local musicians. Maybe I should rethink and take a chance on the tour of the old city. My husband and I came early a couple of years ago for a cruise out of San Juan. We hired a taxi to take us to the Old Town, but that was the weekend of a big festival, and as we got near to the old city, the roads were blocked off. People had to walk very long distances so we had the taxi just bring us back. With just the two of us, hiring a private tour company for the tour would be pricey. The advantage, of course, is that you can read reviews and choose a good company. With the ship's excursion (which for the two of us would likely be quite a bit less expensive than hiring a private driver), you don't get to read reviews on Trip Advisor. The reviews I did read on the cruise ship web site showed a 50-50 chance of getting a good tour.

I did not do the ship tour, when i can i try to stay away from them. They are usually more expensive and a lot more people. In this case the city tour is not expensive in San Juan but you get toured with alot of people. I did a private tour and i didn't find it that expensive. Regular price was $180.00 for 4 hour but paid $160.00, maybe you can get another couple to join you and bring the cost down. I got a better rate buying 2 tours, one arriving into San Juan and one on my departing day ending at the airport. Here is the link to the tour https://puertoricocruiseexcursions.com/OldSanJuanForts.html

Hope this helps

Sometimes they do have horse-drawn carriages between the cruise piers and the Paseo de Princesa. I don't know how much they cost however.

Are they back then? Because I think I've read some stories earlier this year they were banned in San Juan, but not sure if these specific ones were included.

If you are interested in a private tour, contact Ellis. He offers many different tours depending on your interests. We have used him twice and are planning on using him again next December when we return. He is on craiglist Puerto Rico and also on facebook (Tours with Ellis, see the real Puerto Rico) you can email him at fleisherellis@aol.com