Advice needed on wheelchair accessible room on Inspiration.

abcoltsfan

I am going on a cruise on the Inspiration on Feb. 26th and was assigned E64. I haven't been able to find any recent information and wanted to see if anyone here had any opinions on the accessible rooms and maybe even a few pictures? There will be 3 adults, one of which is in a wheelchair.

Specifically I am wanting to know if there is enough space for me to stay in my compact manual chair and people still able to walk around the room. I am unable to walk at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I tried to post this in the specific Inspiration "sub forum" but the new thread button wasn't there. Not sure what is going on with my account.

Thanks again for any help that can be provided.

Aaron

While I have not sailed the Inspiration I have booked Mom in handicap staterooms, most recently on the Triumph.

Since you state no ambulation I would verify that the stateroom you have booked is fully accessible rather than modified. Fully will not have a step up to the bathroom. (Mom can walk a few steps but cannot step up or down.)

As far as space there is plenty of room to turn around a wheel chair. So sitting in your w/c while other move about should not be a major problem. But do keep in mind moving about in a cruise stateroom is a challenge without a wheel chair.

You will enjoy the space in the bathroom. If you are independent with your ADLs you should have no difficulties. There is a drop down shower bench, roll in shower and sink without obstructions. If by chance the stateroom you booked doesn't have a drop down ask your room steward for a portable bench. They have a limited number in stock.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Go to http://www.cruisedeckplans.com. Choose Carnival, and then start checking all of the Fantasy class ships. Under Stateroom Categories, scroll down to Ocean View, and click on Handicap cabins. It will list them, and if there are any pictures of a cabin, they will show there. Click on the pics to enlarge. There are no pictures of HC OV cabins on Inspiration, but there are for Fascination, Elation, Ecstasy, and Paradise. . You will notice that things are tight when you have the beds as a queen or side by side twins. But there is a pic on a cabin on Fascination that shows the beds in a L shape, one under the window and the other along the side opposite the vanity. With that configuration, there is sooo much more space in the cabin.

Here is an older review of cabin E68 on the Inspiration when she sailed back east. Confirm if your cabin is modified or fully accessible.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1508713

You can see how the beds are set up as a king. As previously stated if the lowers are apart, one under the window, the other along the wall, there will be more room.

The upper will be opposite the vanity.

FWIW all OV & IS cabins have the same (lousy) bathroom vanity set up and only one American outlet. The second outlet is 220 and I cannot remember if it's a two-pin or British outlet.

The Disabled Cruising board has tons of info.

FYI-The Carnival 4day cruise to Catalina now uses the old Catalina ferries as tenders. Completely roll on and off. We were behind a power chair getting off the tender at the beginning of the year.

Ensenada is accessible to Ave Lopez. Off this main shopping street it's really dicey even for those who can walk.

Edited by SadieN

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from a 3-day on Inspiration this morning.

I was in E64 and while there are some pluses, I would suggest finding a better cabin if available.

It is definitely wheelchair accessible as the bathroom had hand rails and a fold-down seat in the shower. There are no steps that I could discern. It is two cabins in from the main atrium. From an access standpoint, it's great.

There are, however, some downsides:

1. Noise from atrium - because it's so close, you get a lot of noise of people walking and talking nearby. They also seem to have musicians at the atrium bar so that gets noisy.

2. Noise from above - this was the worst. One of the kids' camps was directly above. No exaggeration and no hyperbole - this was awful. It was very loud stomping until well into the evening. Kids were certainly having fun, but my ceiling was thumping and vibrating very loudly. Not only was it impossible to sleep, it was not possible to simply read or watch tv in peace.

For reason #2 above, I'd suggest finding another cabin.

I just got back from a 3-day on Inspiration this morning.

I was in E64 and while there are some pluses, I would suggest finding a better cabin if available.

It is definitely wheelchair accessible as the bathroom had hand rails and a fold-down seat in the shower. There are no steps that I could discern. It is two cabins in from the main atrium. From an access standpoint, it's great.

There are, however, some downsides:

1. Noise from atrium - because it's so close, you get a lot of noise of people walking and talking nearby. They also seem to have musicians at the atrium bar so that gets noisy.

2. Noise from above - this was the worst. One of the kids' camps was directly above. No exaggeration and no hyperbole - this was awful. It was very loud stomping until well into the evening. Kids were certainly having fun, but my ceiling was thumping and vibrating very loudly. Not only was it impossible to sleep, it was not possible to simply read or watch tv in peace.

For reason #2 above, I'd suggest finding another cabin.

Thank you for your review and reply! I really appreciate it.