San Juan Forts

BlackBEAR77

The forts are walkable, although it is uphill on the outbound trip. Depending on weather and fitness, they are doable, but consider a HOHO shuttle if its running (was free at one time, but may not be available depending on budgetary constraints). That way, most of your time is focused on the forts. Howver, there is lots to see and eat on the way, so maybe a cab out to the farthest point (El Morro), and a thorough walk back is in order. Enjoy!:D

Will be in San Juan on December 15th. Huge history buff and love history of places I visit. I want to walk to the forts for touring that day. In port from miday till night time. Is it safe to walk to the forts and how easy is it?

One can walk to the forts. If memory serves it's about 15 minutes to San Cristobal and about 25 minutes to del Morro, up hill all the way from the cruise piers.

I would suggest San Cristobal first. More exhibits. Great views of the old city and port area. The walk from San Cristobal to del Morro is almost level and picturesque. About 5-10 minutes.

From del Morro you can walk down to and through the old gate. Then along the outside of the city wall back to the piers.

I would highly recommend watching the sail in to San Juan. You will want to be on the port side, closer to the bow. It is quite something and provides nice context once you get inside del Morro.

In case you haven't seen the NPS site, http://www.nps.gov/saju/index.htm.

Edited by broberts