Confusion - Length of Excursion Longer Than Time in Port (Chichen Itza/Cozumel)

JenP

I am getting a head start on planning a cruise on FOTS out of FLL next Thanksgiving that includes a stop in Cozumel. The ship-sponsored shore excursions are already - oddly enough - available for purchase in the cruise planner. A tour to Chichen Itza is featured in the listing. It begins at 10:30 AM and the listing indicates it is 10 hours and 15 minutes long.

Slight problem, though. We're in port from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM. How can they legitimately offer this excursion? Is the tour length an error (for those who might have taken it) or might it be that the tour should have never been offered for this particular cruise?

I realize that the travel time for this excursion tour is quite long, but I am a huge Mexican history nerd and the ruins are a selling point for me. I've already seen Tulum, and Chichen Itza wasn't offered on my last cruise (different line) that included Cozumel.

Last 2 cruises on Freedom we did not leave Cozumel until the ferry for the last excursion docked at the International Pier (where Freedom docks) and all passengers returned to Freedom. They obviously wait for the excursion to return even if the schedule is tight.

Edited by Scotty G