Wheelchair transportation from Ft Lauderdale airport to Port of Miami??

Tonsoffun44

The taxis in both Fort Lauderdale and Miami have space for one wheelchair and three seated passengers. The luggage normally rides in the back with the wheelchair. Not really a lot of luggage space. I do not know the taxi rate, however I think it is close to $75.

There are some shuttles, but I do not know if they offer a ramp or lift. Avoid Super Shuttle, they may not have a valid permit for FLL. There has been a lot of mishaps with Super Shuttle in that area.

If you check under “North America Homeports, Florida Departures”, I'm positive someone could offer more accurate info in regards to price. Someone there might also know if the shuttles are accessible.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways

Can anyone recommend a company for transportation from Ft Lauderdale airport to Port of Miami for 4 people one of which is in a manual non folding wheelchair?

Preferably for under $100 for a one way trip.

I'm sure somewhere with more knowledge about ADA will respond, but if your cruise line offers shuttle service between Fort Lauderdale airport and Port of Miami, they have to accommodate you and charge you the same price as someone without a wheelchair.

Looked into taking a taxi an the dispatcher I talked with was rather honest saying "$75 if no traffic but it could go as high as $110 with traffic issues and route decided on by the driver" Also looked into the cruise company shuttle they want $30pp.

Would prefer to stay away from Taxi - rather have a set price than risk the dishonesty of another taxi driver (we've had multiple issues with taxis to/from Ft Lauderdale airport and Port Everglades as well as Miami Airport to/from Port of Miami) Reported every case of dishonest driver an never anything done about it. So many took the long route or argued the meter was the only rate WC taxi doesn't cover the posted flat rate fee (yet it was on the vehicle window) and the taxi stand person at the piers an airport sided with the drivers.

Travel partner asked the same question on the Florida boards and everyone seemed to not know if the (cheaper than taxi/cruise offered shuttle) shuttles they all used had lifts or not. I've emailed SAS QLS and Go Shuttle none have responded although QLS does show a 25person mini bus with what looks to be a lift in back in their fleet pictures.

We have the Tri-Rail in our plans for our up-coming cruises, but have not yet taken it. It would take you directly from FLL to MIA. Well, almost directly. There is a shuttle in FLL that takes you to the train station, the shuttle is free. You purchase Tri-Rail tickets inside the airport (FLL). http://www.tri-rail.com/ With this option you would still have to get from MIA to POM.

My traveling companion also got ripped off by a taxi driver on one trip. Another time, one let us both ride as seated passengers so he could transport both scooters at the same time and only charged the minimum charge so we both gave him a nice tip. We were happy and he was happy.

I hope you find something that will work good for you.

Betty

• 2 weeks later...
Looked into taking a taxi an the dispatcher I talked with was rather honest saying "$75 if no traffic but it could go as high as $110 with traffic issues and route decided on by the driver" Also looked into the cruise company shuttle they want $30pp.

Would prefer to stay away from Taxi - rather have a set price than risk the dishonesty of another taxi driver (we've had multiple issues with taxis to/from Ft Lauderdale airport and Port Everglades as well as Miami Airport to/from Port of Miami) Reported every case of dishonest driver an never anything done about it. So many took the long route or argued the meter was the only rate WC taxi doesn't cover the posted flat rate fee (yet it was on the vehicle window) and the taxi stand person at the piers an airport sided with the drivers.

Travel partner asked the same question on the Florida boards and everyone seemed to not know if the (cheaper than taxi/cruise offered shuttle) shuttles they all used had lifts or not. I've emailed SAS QLS and Go Shuttle none have responded although QLS does show a 25person mini bus with what looks to be a lift in back in their fleet pictures.

I think that what you see as being a lift is actually an additional bin to put excess luggage. I've never seen an outside lift on a transport van. I have one on my car but it looks different from what you are referencing.

SAS and GO Transportation do not have lifts. The only one for sure with lifts is Super Shuttle and they book ADA vans up fast.

Are you renting a car at all?

We rented a car in North Florida, drove it to drop off at the airport and they provided a free shuttle that accommodated my scooter with no problem.

If you have any need at all to rent a car, even for 1 night that would be an option.