First cruise Majesty of the Seas on Jan 11-15

Hislamb12

My dh and I are celebrating our 25 anniversary and got a good deal on this cruise. We stop on Cococay, Nassau and Key West.

So a couple of questions that I can't seem to find on the RC Website about my cruise...could be a too new at this to understand it too! LOL

We aren't big drinkers will likely just get one drink a day, so we plan to just pay for them ourselves. Does that seem more reasonable than paying for a drink package?

And, we do drink a lot of water, but $50 a person a day!!! wow that is expensive and quickly takes away our "good deal" on this cruise...So is the water on the ship filtered anyway? Do you at least have filtered water at meals that I can fill up my own empty camelbak?

Looking at the excursions I would love to parasail in Cococay, is that price at $89 for both people sailing or each? Is it best to book with your cruise line or just pay once you get there?

I want to walk to a different hotel (or ride a cab) at Nassau instead of paying so much at $100 a person to sit on the beach at Atlantis, I think I read somewhere on here that others went to a hotel down the street and payed about 1/3 that price? I am getting that right?

We have many children and several with severe special needs. This is a time for us to enjoy each other and relax and make memories.

I really just want to enjoy the beach, maybe a little shopping (if you have good ideas for that please share too) and that is about it.

BUT< if you think there is a must that you really enjoyed please share. Not sure at all what to do at Key West except get some KeyLime Pie!!

our dream cruise is to Alaska, but we couldn't afford that this time, so we are hoping maybe 5 more years :)

Thanks

April

quote.gif

At one alcoholic drink per day, it would not be economical for you to buy an unlimited alcoholic beverage package. However, they may sell drink cards for a specific number of drinks, that can be shared, so keep an eye out, or ask a bartender.

April,

Pay as you go for drinks. We were on the Freedom OTS last February and brought our own wine on board with us. The room steward gave us a wine key and glasses once on board. At that time you could bring up to two bottles of wine on board per stateroom at no charge.

We drink lots of water. We brought some bottles with us to bring on shore at each port but mostly drank the filtered water on the ship. It was pretty tasty. We just brought water bottles with us for that.

As far as the ports and excursions, check the port of call section of the forums. You'll get a well rounded overview there. We did not do any ship excursions as we felt they were too expensive. We have 4 kids so 60$ per person adds up quickly.

Once in port there is usually plenty to do, especially if you enjoy walking/hiking. But each port is different so look at the ports of call section and ask around there.

Have a wonderful trip!

-Sean

Cococay is Royal's private island; the excursions are through them. I don't think I've ever seen Royal price something per couple (I could be wrong) - I would assume that $89 is a per person price. That being said, there is always a possibility that the ship cannot make that stop due to weather and you have a sea day.

Agree to check the Bahamas forum - may find a cheaper alternative for parasailing. I've never done it, so I can't tell you one way or the other.

My dh and I are celebrating our 25 anniversary and got a good deal on this cruise. We stop on Cococay, Nassau and Key West.

So a couple of questions that I can't seem to find on the RC Website about my cruise...could be a too new at this to understand it too! LOL

We aren't big drinkers will likely just get one drink a day, so we plan to just pay for them ourselves. Does that seem more reasonable than paying for a drink package?

And, we do drink a lot of water, but $50 a person a day!!! wow that is expensive and quickly takes away our "good deal" on this cruise...So is the water on the ship filtered anyway? Do you at least have filtered water at meals that I can fill up my own empty camelbak?

Looking at the excursions I would love to parasail in Cococay, is that price at $89 for both people sailing or each? Is it best to book with your cruise line or just pay once you get there?

I want to walk to a different hotel (or ride a cab) at Nassau instead of paying so much at $100 a person to sit on the beach at Atlantis, I think I read somewhere on here that others went to a hotel down the street and payed about 1/3 that price? I am getting that right?

We have many children and several with severe special needs. This is a time for us to enjoy each other and relax and make memories.

I really just want to enjoy the beach, maybe a little shopping (if you have good ideas for that please share too) and that is about it.

BUT< if you think there is a must that you really enjoyed please share. Not sure at all what to do at Key West except get some KeyLime Pie!!

our dream cruise is to Alaska, but we couldn't afford that this time, so we are hoping maybe 5 more years :)

Thanks

April

quote.gif

Our first cruise was on Majesty and we've been hooked ever since! In Key West, I would suggest just walking off the pier and getting tickets for the "train" which will take you to all the attractions. And definitely get some key lime pie - even get some key lime juice to take home with you to make your own key lime pie, or key lime bars which are really good! You'll love Royal! Have a great time!

Just a comment about ship's water.

Most people don't realize that drinking water on the cruise ships is desalinated, distilled and purified from sea water. It is safer and more pure than any bottled water you might buy.

You can take your own water/sport bottles and refill from the drinking water dispensers in the Windjammer for no cost.

You can take your own water/sport bottles and refill from the drinking water dispensers in the Windjammer for no cost.

If you are going to do that, at least use a glass to get the water from the dispenser and then fill your bottle.

Thanks

April

quote.gif

One note about this- if you are talking the beach access point next to Riu Palace- we were just by there a couple of weeks ago, and there was a sign saying that the access will be cut off just around the beginning of the year.

There's another access point next to Paradise Island Beach Club- another couple of roads east of Riu.