Jewelry?

mariners

https://www.medicalert.org/product/catalog/medical-ids/bracelets

I see on the site above some inexpensive silicone or paracord or flex bracelet models. That would be my preference over something that looked like, or actually was, silver or gold.

Another question: Is the inscription able to be understood by someone who only speaks/reads/writes Spanish or Portuguese?

Can you verbally communicate your condition and any symptoms in those languages?

Edited by VidaNaPraia

VidaNaPraia, thank you for your answer. I had believed that the inscription that is in the International Nonproprietary Name for drugs would be understood by someone who speaks Spanish, Portuguese, French, etc. However, after reading your answer, I have done further research, and believe it will be best for me to take the information in written form so that I can show it if necessary. I will take my bracelet off when I am going ashore.

I'd be happy to translate into Portuguese for you, should you feel the need.

I would suggest planning for the worst case scenario, that both you and your companion might be unable to communicate and may first be in the hands of a good Samaritan, rather than a medical professional, and prepare a thorough explanation of your needs. Keep this written "medic-alert" document with the Xerox copy of your passport that you should carry and use when outside the hotel/ship.

Be aware that pronunciation can differ quite a bit. For one simple example, a Portuguese speaker uses

"ahz-pee-REE-nah", and may not understand "ASS-prin". In Brazilian pharmacies, most everything may be behind the counter, not reachable or readable without interacting with a clerk.

Anecdote: On one of my first trips to Brazil, I became very frustrated when the pharmacy clerk couldn't understand I was trying to order Advil, a common OTC there, and more frustrated still when my Brazilian friend repeated what I said, in the same accent, and was understood. :-)

And perhaps all the more so for stronger or prescription drugs, some of which might be OTC in Brazil. Also, most Brazilians may not be as cognizant of common drugs you use in the U.S., unlike the average American who has the benefit of educational advertising and internet info.

Best wishes for a great, and uneventful in the medical area, trip.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Isn't this a bit of overkill? I have known several people who have traveled around Buenos Aires wearing small pieces of plain jewelry, nothing large or flashy but made of gold or silver, without incident.

Is it common there to have people approach you on the streets and try to rip off your purse or jewelry?

I am cautious wherever I travel, however this seems a bit excessive that someone would try to rip off a small silver bracelet? I walked around Naples, Istanbul, Rome, etc. with no problem... Is South America that much worse?:eek:

Buenos Aires is not RIO.

The geography of Rio, with the more upper class beachside neighborhoods where tourists usually stay being backed by mountains on which the poorest communities have been built, lends itself to a few marginalized people who may be quite desperate being in very close proximity to people who have expensive worldly goods. "Lucky" poor people who have official minimum wage jobs support families for a month on less than U$200, and not all have official jobs or jobs at all. Also, at the moment the economy has tanked there. "Is it common there to have people approach you on the streets and try to rip off your purse or jewelry?" Yes, if you give them the opportunity by wearing or carrying valuables. So don't.

VidaNaPraia, thank you for the offer to translate the information into Portuguese. On this sailing, we will not be going to Brazil, but will be circling the rest of South America. We have previously had the pleasure of spending time in Rio, and some other ports in Brazil.

Many of the South American ports on this cruise have warnings similar to Rio, and some are written in stronger language. In the past, I have not worn jewellery. I know of passengers who did not listen to the warnings and have worn something that they considered cheap costume jewellery who have run into grief because the thief did not have the same understanding. IMO, it is always better to be safe than sorry.

ptrpanpens, I will wear no jewellery when in port on our upcoming sailing, and I will take my cheap camera that is small and easily fits into a pocket. The reason I will not wear a medical bracelet in ports is because VidaNaPraia explained why it might not be useful on the trip. I researched the information he provided, and came to the conclusion that the bracelet would not likely be recognized anywhere we are sailing except on the ship. Therefore, it makes wearing the bracelet a moot point.

Thank you. I will eliminate any jewelry if I am walking around alone. Everything I wear is very unobtrusive and does not call attention but I will leave everything valuable at home. I dont wear costume jewelry but alot of it is much more flashy than 14k and I agree that theives do not know the difference. Have to been to Buenos Aires? I do not want to get so paranoid I am even afraid to go out alone in Recoleta during the day.

What do you do about your phone? I would not want to be without one in case of emergency. I have an older camera so dont think it will be problematic and will almost always be in a large group, or with a tour. I have been all over Europe with no problems but am a little nervous about SA now. Not going to Rio, luckily.

@ptrpanpens--

IMO, you still haven't 'got it'. Tourist crime is opportunistic. Don't give 'em the opportunity. Simple. "I will eliminate any jewelry when I am walking around" (period. Not just "alone") How about that kid on the bicycle who snatches what he can when he speeds by you on the margins of the tour group?

Who would you call in the type of emergency that might occur as you are walking around with your expensive phone? Are you getting a local SIM for it to call local authorities if something happens? Is your Spanish fluent? Or, if not, what is the advantage of calling home, or even the closest US embassy, from the street in a far away country vs. calling once you get back to the ship/hotel? And if you're with a group, surely the leader can handle an emergency.

Not "Rio, luckily". It's a wonderful place, unequaled anywhere in the world, with lots to see and do and hear. And, as respectfully as possible, not so risky if you get over your slightly arrogant sense of entitlement to wave your (even modest) first world devices in the faces of marginalized residents. Somehow, by being conservative about what I wear and carry, I have not had problems enjoying Rio and Brazil in over two decades of regular visits as a solo female, not quite the miracle you seem to want to consider it.

@ptrpanpens--

IMO, you still haven't 'got it'. Tourist crime is opportunistic. Don't give 'em the opportunity. Simple. "I will eliminate any jewelry when I am walking around" (period. Not just "alone") How about that kid on the bicycle who snatches what he can when he speeds by you on the margins of the tour group?

Who would you call in the type of emergency that might occur as you are walking around with your expensive phone? Are you getting a local SIM for it to call local authorities if something happens? Is your Spanish fluent? Or, if not, what is the advantage of calling home, or even the closest US embassy, from the street in a far away country vs. calling once you get back to the ship/hotel? And if you're with a group, surely the leader can handle an emergency.

Not "Rio, luckily". It's a wonderful place, unequaled anywhere in the world, with lots to see and do and hear. And, as respectfully as possible, not so risky if you get over your slightly arrogant sense of entitlement to wave your (even modest) first world devices in the faces of marginalized residents. Somehow, by being conservative about what I wear and carry, I have not had problems enjoying Rio and Brazil in over two decades of regular visits as a solo female, not quite the miracle you seem to want to consider it.

Thank you for your "expert" opinion on this matter. I guess I will just have to rely on my own common sense and expertise when traveling around South America, the same as I have done when traveling alone to Europe, the Middle East, the Caribbean and Mexico over the past 40 years. So far I have never been robbed, accosted or scammed in any of those places so I guess I am not as clueless about life as it may appear.

Thank you for your "expert" opinion on this matter. I guess I will just have to rely on my own common sense and expertise when traveling around South America, the same as I have done when traveling alone to Europe, the Middle East, the Caribbean and Mexico over the past 40 years. So far I have never been robbed, accosted or scammed in any of those places so I guess I am not as clueless about life as it may appear.

Guess I've just read too many "shocked" posts from people with similar experience to yours whose "luck" ran out one day in the course of their travels and were/are having a difficult time getting over it. None would have admitted to being clueless.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to report back from my 5 day pre-cruise visit to Buenos Aires. A fantastic city where I in no way felt threatened walking around alone all over. I did not wear jewelry but did take my new IPhone with me and used it everywhere, even in La Boca, to take photos. I was very careful with it and put it away after using it but never once felt as if I was in danger of being mugged, robbed, pickpocketed or accosted, although as I said, I am careful, aware of my surroundings, do not wander alone in dicey areas or at night and use common sense.

I feel a little silly being so paranoid about the city at first but by day two I was my normal self and confident to explore the city as I normally do. I am reporting this to give anyone who may be a little concerned that you should just relax and will probably be fine.

Everyone I spoke to onboard had the same experience. Its a great city so enjoy it.:D

Here is a recent and IMO pertinent quote from an experienced traveler on another popular travel forum:

"I travelled X (and more dangerous countries) with a huge DSLR, and i was fine. This is not a "nothing happened to me, therefore it is safe" ridiculous conclusion statement. Just a personal experience."