Advice for Jacksonville?

rubycat1

We are taking our first cruise in February and I am looking for recommendations. We will be flying in to Jacksonville airport the day before so we need a hotel, also we will need to do some shopping for wine and soda so hotel near shopping would be good. Any suggestions? Also travel recommendations to and from the port? There will be five of us. Thanks in advance!

Right before you get to the port, there should be a place with a bunch of shops. I know there's a Costco there and many other things, I'm almost positive there's a Publix. What I'd say is, if you can, get that the night before so you can take an early shuttle to the port.

Are you thinking of Canaveral? The only Costco in Jacksonville is in St John Town Center which is about 20 miles from the airport.

we are taking our first cruise in february and i am looking for recommendations. We will be flying in to jacksonville airport the day before so we need a hotel, also we will need to do some shopping for wine and soda so hotel near shopping would be good. Any suggestions? Also travel recommendations to and from the port? There will be five of us. Thanks in advance!

major shopping center about 5 miles or so from airport. Right off off i95. Nice hotel right on airport property also

In JAX you can get a hotel near the airport - there are lots. On the same street, on the other side of I-95 there is a huge shopping center with a WalMart....There may be other places to buy wine. Ask on the Florida Departures board here, under North American Homeports.

There is another huge shopping area on the South side of the Dames Point Bridge, Regency Square area. But you really need a rental car for the evening to get to these places. EM

Just to add to what Essiesmom said, the shopping center is called "The River City Market Place". The market place uses, Airport Center Drive, City Center Blvd addresses. It is just under a mile away from many of the hotels between I95 and the airport. I have walked to the Walmart and restaurants in about fifteen minutes. The Walmart has a liquor store/section in it. The area has many fast food and fast casual restaurants nearby. Many of the hotesl have a free airport shuttle and will provide (for a fee)a shuttle to port jax. Enjoy your cruise.

There are hotels right near the airport that are nice and not expensive (mid-range chain hotels). What we did was fly in the night before, stayed near the airport. Did a one-day car rental from and back to the airport. That way, we had a car for getting around Jacksonville. There was also a nice shopping area not too far from the airport (but a car was necessary--too far to walk). After dropping the car off at the airport, took a shuttle from the airport to the cruise port. However, they said that they couldn't get in to the cruise port until later (11?--I can't remember the exact time), so boarding was already in process by the time we got there. However, checking in and boarding was quick and smooth.