SINGLEs Over 55

bobbi3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I have read this blog with some interest but I was hoping there is a site that is focused on single cruisers. I love to cruise but don't want to go alone. Definitely heterosexual and looking for someone to cruise with once or twice a year. I would be happy to share a cabin to keep costs down and have a cruising pal ... nothing more .. male or female. I am male, 56 love to explore and do my own thing. Is there a site or blog out there that connects people with interests like mine?

I do.

I just finished a TA cruise on the NCL Star. It was excellent as far as meeting solo cruisers; there was a meeting every night in Gatsby's Bar that was posted in the Latitudes Daily and a bunch of us ended up doing SOME dinners together, a pub crawl and a cabin crawl. It was so awesome it prompted me to want to go again.

So I just spoiled myself with a verandah cabin on the Equinox TA leaving Barcelona Nov. 25 and arriving Ft Lauderdale Dec. 9, 2013. Great rates - 34% single supplement. It was a limited time offer. They might offer a low single supp rates again closer to the date - if the ship isnt full.

A bit about myself.... I am a single 53 yr old and I cruise alone most of the time. Meeting alike people is the best experience on a cruisehip (in my opinion), next to sitting by the pool listening to Caribbean style music drinking up a cocktail or two . (no, this is not meant to be an advertisement for single hookups; there are specialty websites/forums for that.)

i am interested in finding good internet cruise agencies (other than VTG) that advertise discounted single supplements. Are you aware of any?

• 2 months later...
I would love to know the travel site for singles. I have creeped on many sites over the last couple of years but never took the plunge. Any experience in them?

You might try google-searching "singles interested in cruising on a budget meetup". it is based in Ontario but matches single travelers with cabinmates for cost effective purposes only.

I personally am looking for a cabinmate frequently.

Edited by scubagirl43
mistake

• 3 weeks later...

I'm doing research for a family member who was asking about single cruises, although she knows nothing about them (and neither did I til now). Can someone please confirm for me, so "single cruises" are often regular cruises but with an organized group of singles on-board to facilitate gatherings etc.? Is that correct? Or are there sometimes cruises which are exclusively singles? Other than the surcharge, has anyone else experienced anything negative on a singles cruise? Someone mentioned some cruisers being pushy...by that do you mean expecting to have a relationship? My Aunt is in her 70s (young at heart though!) and this would be her first vacation since her husband died so I can't imagine that would go over well. Thanks for your assistance.

I turned 60 last August. I know the feeling of others considering those of us over 40 - 50 - 60 etc. to be "old". They will get there someday if they are patient and lucky.

I'm looking at a cruise out of Barcelona to Italy and back. They have singles cabins that look really nice. I'm reluctant to book it out of fear there would be no or few singles on it. I've never taken a cruise single and I'm concerned that I would become lonely.

What's a single guy to do.

I'm doing research for a family member who was asking about single cruises, although she knows nothing about them (and neither did I til now). Can someone please confirm for me, so "single cruises" are often regular cruises but with an organized group of singles on-board to facilitate gatherings etc.? Is that correct? Or are there sometimes cruises which are exclusively singles? Other than the surcharge, has anyone else experienced anything negative on a singles cruise? Someone mentioned some cruisers being pushy...by that do you mean expecting to have a relationship? My Aunt is in her 70s (young at heart though!) and this would be her first vacation since her husband died so I can't imagine that would go over well. Thanks for your assistance.

My research told me there is no pressure for people to "couple off" and start swinging but rather have fun as a group. I think it's a great idea to join a singles group on a scheduled cruise and have them "break the ice" and make introductions. Just make sure the age group is what she is looking for. Sounds like fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I turned 60 last August. I know the feeling of others considering those of us over 40 - 50 - 60 etc. to be "old". They will get there someday if they are patient and lucky.

I'm looking at a cruise out of Barcelona to Italy and back. They have singles cabins that look really nice. I'm reluctant to book it out of fear there would be no or few singles on it. I've never taken a cruise single and I'm concerned that I would become lonely.

What's a single guy to do.

Take the cruise if it interests you. I am also a male who is sixty (a month older than you) and have cruised solo several times. I found there are many solo cruisers our age (mostly female) on the ship (have not cruised in Europe but assume it's the same). Even if I do not make friends and spend most of the time alone, I still have a great time.

• 2 months later...

What a shame this thread is not very active.

I'm 54, single and have done many cruises solo. While I'm not an aggresive socializer, I plan Meetups. Cabin Crawls, Poker Runs, Hometown Gift Swaps, etc. through the Roll Call of some of the cruises I take. It's very rewarding to meet the participants and run into them on the ship now and again. And even sometimes meet a great friend or mate I keep in touch with afterwards.

I admit I have started lurking (that term sounds creepy, but it's widely used on these boards and isnt creepy at all) to see how many other single or solo travelers are going on a particular cruise.

Anyone else do this?

• 3 weeks later...

I am also "lurking" as you say. My dh and I loved cruising. It's the one thing I still enjoy. He passed away in Oct 2011. I took a cruise with my daughters 1 year later. And then a cruise with 11 other widows the next year. Seems like when I'm on a ship, we only encounter couples. I was just wondering what Cruise Lines or Ships might have singles who are in our age group. I'm 64, my friends are 50+. I was hoping there was a more active link here. Perhaps it will spring to life one of these days. Right now my friends and I are planning a cruise to celebrate my 65th birthday in December 2014. :)

I am not allowed to give you any websites on this forum. You can put in "Hosted singles cruises"

on Google or Bing and should get good responses. There are two major ones and some others.

I have been on 6 singles cruises and have met lots of people from all over the country and some from outside it. Still talk to many of them.

You can also go on facebook and do the same as google or bing.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm 63 and newly widowed. We loved to cruise and I don't want to give it up. I'm booked on a cruise over NY this December and I think I'll go alone. Probably not the best time of the year to go alone, but if I make it through that one, I'll be fine, I guess.

I guess I may eventually look at hosted single cruises, but I'm good for now, friends and relatives are going on the other cruises I have booked.

• 1 month later...
I'm 63 and newly widowed. We loved to cruise and I don't want to give it up. I'm booked on a cruise over NY this December and I think I'll go alone. Probably not the best time of the year to go alone, but if I make it through that one, I'll be fine, I guess.

I guess I may eventually look at hosted single cruises, but I'm good for now, friends and relatives are going on the other cruises I have booked.

Are you by chance going on the Breakaway from NYC on Dec. 14th? I will be on that cruise and would like to meet solo cruisers in my age bracket like you. Just to hang out and new friendships.

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

I also lost my husband, and cruised alone one time after he died. Be prepared to eat alone & do things on your own. Although I am outgoing, and asked people, "May I join you?" they'd say, "I'm waiting for my" husband,friend, etc. On land, I approached strangers from the ship and asked if they'd like to share a taxi or excursion. If they did, I rarely saw them again onboard. Cruising alone is lonely, and for a new widow, not enjoyable. If possible, get a girlfriend or someone to sail with you. As for sailing during the holidays, that is a good idea as holidays in themselves can be lonely--but don't do it alone. I now only sail with friends or groups.

i do think you have to be okay on your own to cruise solo. I've gone on my own many times. i never eat alone, i always ask to share and have met some great people not just at mealtimes, but at the piano bar, on shore excursions, through my roll call...

i love my alone time on holiday but do at times feel lonely when all around me are couples. though sometimes i see couples and thank my lucky stars I'm not with 'that guy' for better or for worse!

i have considered a hosted singles cruise but worry that at 52 i'll be one of the 'old' ones. i have seen over 40yrs cruises advertised, but not over 50. that would suit me better. unlike the 2 other ladies previously, i prefer gentlemen my age or older. having said that, i don't think I'm the 'something-something' type :p, but I'd like to meet fun single people my age.

i check out the solo boards here once in a while, but rarely the single one. they're quite similar. I've found this thread to be quite interesting. its the first time I've noticed there are men cruising on their own. i never see any other women alone and a man is much rarer. even the coupled up men were 'dragged' aboard by their partners.

i do think you have to be okay on your own to cruise solo. I've gone on my own many times. i never eat alone, i always ask to share and have met some great people not just at mealtimes, but at the piano bar, on shore excursions, through my roll call...

i love my alone time on holiday but do at times feel lonely when all around me are couples. though sometimes i see couples and thank my lucky stars I'm not with 'that guy' for better or for worse!

i have considered a hosted singles cruise but worry that at 52 i'll be one of the 'old' ones. i have seen over 40yrs cruises advertised, but not over 50. that would suit me better. unlike the 2 other ladies previously, i prefer gentlemen my age or older. having said that, i don't think I'm the 'something-something' type :p, but I'd like to meet fun single people my age.

i check out the solo boards here once in a while, but rarely the single one. they're quite similar. I've found this thread to be quite interesting. its the first time I've noticed there are men cruising on their own. i never see any other women alone and a man is much rarer. even the coupled up men were 'dragged' aboard by their partners.

I have not been on the hosted singles cruises but I heard that when they say "Over 40" that most of the participants are closer to 60. At 52 you are still young (very young to be widowed-sorry for your loss) so check it out! You likely will have fun. :)

Yes, there's a singles cruise, aimed at aged 45 plus on Celebrity Silhouette, Dec. 7'14.

I'm going. Anyone else? You should join us on the Roll Call thread.

I should mention the cruise is not going to be comletely full of singles, but there are supposed to be hundreds.

Edited by scubagirl43
addition

Are you by chance going on the Breakaway from NYC on Dec. 14th? I will be on that cruise and would like to meet solo cruisers in my age bracket like you. Just to hang out and new friendships.

No, I was going after Christmas all alone, but some wonderful friends are cruising on Freedom 12/7 and I switched to be sailing with them. This was made possible by my generous boss, who granted me extra paid time off. So while I'll be alone in my cabin, I will have friends to eat and spend time with this time.

I have not been on the hosted singles cruises but I heard that when they say "Over 40" that most of the participants are closer to 60. At 52 you are still young (very young to be widowed-sorry for your loss) so check it out! You likely will have fun. :)

I am a single woman, and cruise a lot. I see lots of single women, many just get "taken" early in the cruise. But that being said, a cruise for the 60 plus group might be a good thread to start. On Celebrity of course!:D

Too all you single ladies (and I mean Single) there are plenty of single men on every cruise you just have to give us half a chance to meet you. Put down your I-Pads, Kindles, Androids and your books and just observe. While walking around try to make eye contact, say hello, at the bar start some small talk and in the dance venues ask someone to dance (yes, women are allowed to do that these days). I know when I follow my own advice some women will say no or just turn away and I get the feeling they think I want something more than conversation or a dance.

Remember, you might enjoy his company! Have dinner together! Do an excursion! Have a dance! Talk! Or even just company on the pool deck.

Too all you single ladies (and I mean Single) there are plenty of single men on every cruise you just have to give us half a chance to meet you. Put down your I-Pads, Kindles, Androids and your books and just observe. While walking around try to make eye contact, say hello, at the bar start some small talk and in the dance venues ask someone to dance (yes, women are allowed to do that these days). I know when I follow my own advice some women will say no or just turn away and I get the feeling they think I want something more than conversation or a dance.

Remember, you might enjoy his company! Have dinner together! Do an excursion! Have a dance! Talk! Or even just company on the pool deck.

I agree with you, Rich 60. If you ladies cruising solo want the solo gentleman to pay attention to you then be available. I'm not single but I often cruise as a solo and like meeting ladies who simply want dinner conversation and maybe a dance or two Not all encounters need be romantic. We are all on the ship to have fun so let's have fun. Say yes when asked to dance.

this really irks me! I'm going to be 61...and guess what? Im the rare exception who looks younger than they are. If you saw me out, would you flat out ask me my age? And by that, I mean.....when you're somewhere and you meet an attractive woman, is the first thing out of your mouth..how old are you?

I've seen/met quite a few men and women in their 40's who look IMO bad for their age! I exercise daily for at least 90 minutes.

Sorry to say this, but I believe whats good for the goose is good for the gander. So, I know longer date men my own age, only younger!

Good for you, Sassy! I have met a few woman like you who I thought were younger than me and later found out she was older than me. That's something that I admire. I once befriended two ladies who I thought were late forties (I was 57 at the time) and they both thought I was late 40s also. We all were surprised to learn our true ages but me more because they were both 63. Age is just a number. It's how you look and feel that matters.