are there no restaurants in Jamaica besides Scotchies for tours?

TnTWalter

I am interested too. We are at Falmouth and I would like to patron a smaller mom and pop place outside the complex on our way back from our excursion. Maybe I will look at TripAdvisor.

Walter - which port are you going?

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks ago, while DH and our kids went off on an ATV/zip line excursion from Falmouth, my friend and I (we are late 40's females) went outside the port into the city proper. Our mission was jerk chicken from Club Nazz. Big plate of chicken, awesome coleslaw and rice/beans for $5.00!! And the free, pretty decent wifi was appreciated. Nice, big place, very safe. Check it out on trip advisor. Mix of locals and cruise passengers. Less than a 5 min walk outside the pier security gates. It was on the main roads with lots of police officers and security milling along the route, so we felt completely safe. Kept asking for directions to ensure we didn't end up in a scary back alley :D

Falmouth is not a place we'd let down our guard or wander past the main drag, though. On the way back, we stopped at a grocery store and picked up some fairly large sized packages of Jamaican jerk seasoning for $3 each. Used it this weekend - brought me back to Jamaica! Be careful about having enough small US bills, as some places will give you back Jamaican change.

Two weeks ago, while DH and our kids went off on an ATV/zip line excursion from Falmouth, my friend and I (we are late 40's females) went outside the port into the city proper. Our mission was jerk chicken from Club Nazz. Big plate of chicken, awesome coleslaw and rice/beans for $5.00!! And the free, pretty decent wifi was appreciated. Nice, big place, very safe. Check it out on trip advisor. Mix of locals and cruise passengers. Less than a 5 min walk outside the pier security gates. It was on the main roads with lots of police officers and security milling along the route, so we felt completely safe. Kept asking for directions to ensure we didn't end up in a scary back alley :D

Falmouth is not a place we'd let down our guard or wander past the main drag, though. On the way back, we stopped at a grocery store and picked up some fairly large sized packages of Jamaican jerk seasoning for $3 each. Used it this weekend - brought me back to Jamaica! Be careful about having enough small US bills, as some places will give you back Jamaican change.

Thanks so much for the Club Nazz recommendation. We went to SNUBA at Montego Bay today and asked the driver to let us out before he went back to the complex. He also directed us here. He forgot the name but as soon as I saw the sign I recognized it from here.

Great local spot. The jerk pork was better than the chicken.

I wrote a review on TripAdvisor as well.

Edited by chinita415

• 3 weeks later...

We ate at Mom's the last time we were in Jamaica. We were docked in Falmouth, but I believe Mom's is in Ocho Rios (we ate there after doing a private tour to the Blue Hole and Bamboo Blu beach with Marvyn's Paradise Tours). It is a place where the locals go to eat and we were the only tourists there. Mom's had delicious curry goat, oxtails, soup and curry chicken.

We were in Falmouth for a day back in December. We asked our driver to take us to an off the beaten path restaurant for lunch. He took us to a place called "Papa Gus's". It is about a mile from the pier.

The three of us had cups of fish soup, monstrous plates of delicious Jamaican food (curried goat, brown stewed chicken, and brown stewed fish), and six Red Stripe beers. The total bill was only $46.00!!! Gosh, six beers on the ship cost $38.00 alone.